Anyone near the train derailment?

Sen. Graham just asked if "Precision Schedule Railroading" caused this.

That isn't an action. That is a process. In football world, that is like saying 'I run a West Coast Offense' when discussing the run and pass game to score points. It is series of decisions involving an overall practice by the company, not just a single event.

And the short answer is... Yes, it absolutely did.
When your schedule becomes more valuable than safety ... this is what you get.

When your schedule becomes more valuable than safety ... this is what you get.

That is exactly right. As a plus, this should kill the legislation that has been circulating around Congress for the last number of years about moving to 1 man train crews. Because that was really starting to become a thing. It has been one of those rumors for years. But in the last couple of years Congress was starting to really get into it. And a lot of railroad workers were already talking about leaving because their tenure pretty much ensured they wouldn't have jobs after it happened.

That is exactly right. As a plus, this should kill the legislation that has been circulating around Congress for the last number of years about moving to 1 man train crews. Because that was really starting to become a thing. It has been one of those rumors for years. But in the last couple of years Congress was starting to really get into it. And a lot of railroad workers were already talking about leaving because their tenure pretty much ensured they wouldn't have jobs after it happened.
One man crews ... I have ideas that are that careless and stupid but I just can't get paid 10s of millions per year to be able to unleash them on the public.

This is how most derailment happen.

There is a small batch of car or cars that leave the rails while the rest don't.

There marshaling rules and handling procedures to help keep hazmat cars upright. But derails are going to happen.

The private companies don't have the correct incentive for them not to. They judge it a loss instead of damage. And if there is an adjustment in insurance cost because of the loss they pass that on to their customers. And then just repair the tracks to where they were before. They don't have a reason invest in a better level of safety.

The only way that happens is if city / state / federal regulations tighten to the point they are penalized foe not having better equipment or processes, to the point that they can't reroute freight around higher regulations. I say that. Because in the past some localities have tried to push their hand. But then the railroads just re route using an area not as heavily regulated.

Pete has nothing to do with this. He is enforcing the law as Congress passed it.