Has this ever happened? Brock Bowers is a Unicorn

OldDevilDawg

'21 Co-PotY

Brock Bowers has done it all for Georgia this season, so if the sophomore is snubbed for the John Mackey Award as college football's best tight end for the second year in a row, maybe he can steal awards from a couple of other positions. A week after he was named a finalist for the Lombardi Award, given to the nation’s top college lineman, Bowers was announced as one of 12 semifinalists for the Biletnikoff Award, given to the nation's top receiver.

What.

He isn't even the best TE in the nation. And has fewer receiving yards and TD than Michael Meyer.

To anyone that says there isn't SEC bias. I offer this

What.

He isn't even the best TE in the nation. And has fewer receiving yards and TD than Michael Meyer.

To anyone that says there isn't SEC bias. I offer this
So the only thing that matters to you is numbers? I would say his rushing touchdowns and his blocking ability has been as good or better than any "TE" in the country. That might have a little more to do with it than your "SEC bias". But you haven't paid attention to that, have you?

So the only thing that matters to you is numbers? I would say his rushing touchdowns and his blocking ability has been as good or better than any "TE" in the country. That might have a little more to do with it than your "SEC bias". But you haven't paid attention to that, have you?

No. I don't think that stats are all that matter. But I will guarantee you that the passing game of ND has no more important component this year than MM.

To give you an idea ND passing this year has a total of 161 completions. He represents 60 of those by himself.

The guy is the screen game for ND. As a TE.

Believe me. Meyer is the best TE in the nation.

No. I don't think that stats are all that matter. But I will guarantee you that the passing game of ND has no more important component this year than MM.

To give you an idea ND passing this year has a total of 161 completions. He represents 60 of those by himself.

The guy is the screen game for ND. As a TE.

Believe me. Meyer is the best TE in the nation.

I have no argument there. As a pure "TE" he is absolutely the best in the game. Bowers is WAY more than just a TE, though. He's a TE/WR/RB/OL hybrid of the likes that CFB has never seen, at least not in my lifetime. I'm not saying that as a UGA fan, I'm saying it as a CFB fan that has been watching the game for well over 40 years.

How many times have you seen the TE used as your primary target for end arounds and screens?

Again I don't say this to take anything away from Brock. He is an amazing athlete. But Meyer is just a different level. He has more than double the next 2 receivers on the team. Combined. The funniest part about him, is that the opponents know he is getting the ball. They triple cover him, and he still gets the ball. It is insane. Here is the receiving chart for ND for this year.

1669215900607.png

How many times have you seen the TE used as your primary target for end arounds and screens?

Again I don't say this to take anything away from Brock. He is an amazing athlete. But Meyer is just a different level. He has more than double the next 2 receivers on the team. Combined. The funniest part about him, is that the opponents know he is getting the ball. They triple cover him, and he still gets the ball. It is insane. Here is the receiving chart for ND for this year.

View attachment 16996
Bowers leads UGA with 41 catches for 625 yards and 4 TDs. Were it not for also having 6'7 275lb TE Darnell Washington (former 5-star) who has 24 catches for 392 yards, Bowers totals would be much higher. Bowers also has 4 rushes for 89 yards and 3 TDs.

Same here. Not taking anything away from Mayer. He'll likely be the first TE in the draft for a reason. Washington might very well be #2 behind him. Bowers is a true Soph and won't be eligible.

Time to revisit this thread.

The last tight end taken in the top 10 was Florida’s Kyle Pitts back in 2021. He went to the Atlanta Falcons with the No. 4 overall pick. That’s also the highest a tight end has even been taken.

From a statistical standpoint, Bowers isn’t just the greatest tight end in Georgia history, he might finish as the program’s best pass catcher period. Through two seasons, no pass catcher in Georgia history has more receptions, yards and touchdowns. He needs 1,273 yards and 10 receiving touchdowns to set the school record for both. Terrence Edwards holds both records at the moment, though Bowers may need only three seasons to get there.

Dude is still a fucking unicorn.