Today in History - November 9

Alum-Ni

2021 Co-PotY
November 9

1620 - The passengers and crew of the Mayflower sighted Cape Cod.

1872 - Fire destroyed nearly 800 buildings in Boston.

1888 - Jack the Ripper killed his last victim, Mary Jane Kelly.

1918 - Germany's Kaiser Wilhelm II announced that he would abdicate.

1935 - United Mine Workers president John L. Lewis and other labor leaders formed the Committee for Industrial Organization (CIO).

1938 - Nazis burned and looted temples and Jewish-owned stores and houses in Germany and Austria in what became known as Kristallnacht (Crystal Night -- referring to broken glass on the streets).

1961 - U.S. Air Force Maj. Robert M. White became the first pilot to fly an X-15 rocket plane at six times the speed of sound.

1965 - A switch at a power station near Niagara Falls failed, resulting in a power outage in the northeastern United States and parts of Canada that lasted more than 13 hours, affecting more than 13 million people.

1970 - Former French President Charles De Gaulle died at age 79.

1976 - The United Nations General Assembly approved 10 resolutions condemning apartheid in South Africa.

1989 - Communist East Germany opened its borders, allowing citizens to travel freely to the West. Joyous Germans danced atop the Berlin Wall and within hours, tens of thousands had crossed the border. (The Berlin Wall would begin to be dismantled the next day.)

2000 - George W. Bush’s lead over Al Gore in all-or-nothing Florida slipped beneath 300 votes in a suspense-filled recount, as Democrats threw the presidential election to the courts, claiming “an injustice unparalleled in our history.”

2001 - The northern Afghan city of Mazar-e-Sharif fell to the northern alliance in the first major territorial advance for the rebels against the ruling Taliban.

2005 - Three suicide bombers carried out nearly simultaneous attacks on three U.S.-based hotels in Amman, Jordan, killing 60 victims and wounding hundreds.

2009 - The Dow Jones industrial average rose 203.52, or 2 percent, to 10,226.94, its highest finish since Oct. 3, 2008, as a falling dollar boosted prices for gold, oil and other commodities.

2018 - President Donald Trump issued an order to deny asylum to migrants who enter the country illegally; a divided Supreme Court in December said the administration could not begin enforcing the ban.

Birthdays
26 - Shelby Wulfert (actress)
26 - Pete Dunne (professional wrestler)
31 - Analeigh Tipton (actress/model)
31 - Nikki Blonsky (actress)
32 - Emily Tyra (actress)
32 - Brittany Bell (pageant contestant)
35 - Chris Lane (country singer)
35 - Delta Goodrem (singer)
39 - Vanessa Lachey (actress)
40 - Corey Smith (county singer)
40 - Caroline Flack (TV host)
42 - Barry Knox (country singer)
46 - Nick Lachey (singer)
47 - Eric Dane (actor)
48 - Jason Antoon (actor)
49 - Chris Jericho (professional wrestler)
50 - Pepa (rapper)
50 - Ion Overman (actress)
68 - Lou Ferrigno (actor)
71 - Robert David Hall (actor)
74 - Charlie Robinson (actor)
84 - Bob Gibson (baseball player)
88 - Whitey Herzog (baseball player)

===================================

Today in Sports History - November 9

1952 - Maurice "The Rocket" Richard of the Montreal Canadiens became the NHL's leading goal scorer with his 325th career goal.

1953 - The U.S. Supreme Court upheld a 1922 ruling that major league baseball did not come within the scope of federal antitrust laws.

1961 - The PGA eliminated its "caucasians only" rule.

1971 - The NHL announced an expansion franchise for Atlanta.

1984 - Sugar Ray Leonard retired from boxing. In 1984 Leonard came out of retirement to fight one more time before becoming a boxing commentator for NBC.

1991 - Roman Anderson (Houston Cougars) became the first player in NCAA history to surpass 400 points when he kicked a 32-yard field goal.

1996 - Evander Holyfield upsets Mike Tyson via 11th round knockout in Las Vegas to regain the WBA heavyweight title. He became the second boxer, joining Muhammad Ali, to win the heavyweight title three times.

2004 - Houston Astros pitcher Roger Clemens won his record seventh Cy Young Award.

2011 - Penn State fired longtime head football coach Joe Paterno and university president Graham Spanier over their handling of child sex abuse allegations against former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.

1989 - Communist East Germany opened its borders, allowing citizens to travel freely to the West. Joyous Germans danced atop the Berlin Wall and within hours, tens of thousands had crossed the border. (The Berlin Wall would begin to be dismantled the next day.)

I remember it like it was yesterday. At the time, My area of responsibility as an Intel Analyst was Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union.

I watched a discussion/Q&A yesterday on C-Span about the day that it all happened. I remember that Dan Rather was in Berlin and reporting the story exclusively for CBS. None of the other networks had reporters on the scene.

Anyway, during the discussion yesterday, former Secretary of State, James Baker told Rather that the Intel Community had no idea that it was gonna happen when it did. I can confirm this. We were as surprised as everyone else. I mean, we knew that Reagan had squeezed Gorbachev with a bit of "strong arm" diplomacy, but our biggest concern was the possibility of a coup by Soviet hardliners if Gorbachev continued the direction he was going.

It was the day the Cold War ended.

On a side note, I worked for a Captain/O3 when I was stationed with the G-2 for 1st MEB (MCAS Kaneohe, HI) that had a piece of the wall mounted on a plaque. That's something I would have really liked to have.

I remember it like it was yesterday. At the time, My area of responsibility as an Intel Analyst was Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union.

I watched a discussion/Q&A yesterday on C-Span about the day that it all happened. I remember that Dan Rather was in Berlin and reporting the story exclusively for CBS. None of the other networks had reporters on the scene.

Anyway, during the discussion yesterday, former Secretary of State, James Baker told Rather that the Intel Community had no idea that it was gonna happen when it did. I can confirm this. We were as surprised as everyone else. I mean, we knew that Reagan had squeezed Gorbachev with a bit of "strong arm" diplomacy, but our biggest concern was the possibility of a coup by Soviet hardliners if Gorbachev continued the direction he was going.

It was the day the Cold War ended.

On a side note, I worked for a Captain/O3 when I was stationed with the G-2 for 1st MEB (MCAS Kaneohe, HI) that had a piece of the wall mounted on a plaque. That's something I would have really liked to have.
I have pieces of the Berlin wall. My family originates from Germany and i had a relative fly over and went to the wall and brought pieces back for us.