Today in History - October 25

Alum-Ni

2021 Co-PotY
October 25

1400 - Author Geoffrey Chaucer died in London.

1415 - The Battle of Agincourt between England and France during the Hundred Years War took place.

1760 - King George III of Britain was crowned, succeeding his grandfather, George II.

1854 - The English suffered heavy losses against Russia in the Battle of Balaclava during the Crimean War. The battle inspired Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem "Charge of the Light Brigade."

1881 - Artist Pablo Ruiz Picasso was born in Malaga, Spain.

1962 - John Steinbeck was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.

1962 - U.S. Ambassador Adlai E. Stevenson presented photographic evidence of Soviet missile bases in Cuba to the U.N. Security Council.

1971 - The U.N. General Assembly voted to admit mainland China and expel Taiwan.

1983 - A U.S.-led force invaded Grenada at the order of President Ronald Reagan, who said the action was needed to protect U.S. citizens there.

1994 - Susan Smith of Union, South Carolina claimed that a black carjacker had driven off with her two sons. (She later confessed to drowning the children and was convicted of murder.)

2001 - Microsoft released the Windows XP operating system.

2002 - Sen. Paul Wellstone (D-Minnesota) was killed in a plane crash in northern Minnesota at age 58.

2005 - U.S. military deaths in Iraq reached 2,000.

Birthdays
21 - Juan Soto (baseball player)
23 - Keean Johnson (actor)
23 - Georgia Lock (actress)
25 - Chloe Rose (actress)
29 - Lenay Chantelle Olsen (TV host)
30 - Mia Wasikowska (actress)
30 - Loren Jordan (reality star)
31 - Ryan Clark (singer)
34 - Ciara (singer)
35 - Katy Perry (singer)
40 - Rosa Mendes (professional wrestler)
46 - Jeanette Cota (reality star)
47 - Persia White (actress)
49 - Adam Goldberg (actor)
50 - Samantha Bee (TV host)
58 - Chad Smith (musician)
62 - Nancy Cartwright (voice actress)

=====================================

Today in Sports History - October 25

1947 - The Army football team was defeated by Columbia 21-20. The team had gone unbeaten in 32 games that spanned four seasons. They had earned two national titles in the same time frame.

1964 - Jim Marshall (Minnesota Vikings) picked up a San Francisco fumble and ran the wrong way 66 yards into his own team's end zone for a safety.

1968 - The United States defeats Yugoslavia 65-50 to win the gold medal in men's basketball at the Olympic Games in Mexico City.

1978 - Gaylord Perry of the San Diego Padres became the first pitcher to win the Cy Young Award in both leagues when he won the award in the National League.

1986 - The New York Mets won Game 6 of the World Series in the 10th inning when a routine ground ball went through the legs of Boston Red Sox first baseman Bill Buckner.

1987 - The Minnesota Twins defeated the St. Louis Cardinals in seven games in the first World Series to include indoor games. It was the first championship for the Twins.

1990 - Evander Holyfield KOs Buster Douglas in the third round for the heavyweight title.

1998 - Jason Elam of the Denver Broncos kicked a 63-yard field goal, tying Tom Dempsey's 28-year-old NFL record.

1998 - Jerry Rice of the San Francisco 49ers set an NFL record when he caught a pass in his 184th consecutive game. Also during the game, Rice became the first player to surpass 17,000 career receiving yards.

2000 - NBA Commissioner David Stern announced that the Minnesota Timberwolves would forfeit their next five first-round draft picks and be fined $3.5 million due to violations of the NBA's salary cap.

2003 - The Florida Marlins defeat the New York Yankees in six games to win the World Series.

2003 - Florida State football coach Bobby Bowden became the winningest coach in major college football history with his 339th victory as the Seminoles defeated Wake Forest 48-24.

2005 - The Chicago White Sox defeated the Texas Rangers 7-5 in 14 innings in Game 1 of the World Series, the first World Series game ever played in the state of Texas. The game was also the longest in World Series history at 5 hours and 41 minutes.

2009 - The New York Yankees won their 40th American League pennant after defeating the Los Angeles Angels.

I'm guessing that sports event in 2005 should be the Houston Astros not the Texas Rangers vs Chicago White Sox.

1983 - A U.S.-led force invaded Grenada at the order of President Ronald Reagan, who said the action was needed to protect U.S. citizens there.

The Marine Battalion that was involved in Grenada was 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment. They were diverted to Grenada during their mission to Beirut, Lebanon on their way to relieve 1st Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment. 2 days prior to their landing on Grenada, 1/8 got blown up by terrorists while they were sleeping resulting in the largest loss of life in Marines history since the Battle of Iwo Jima in World War II. One of the guys that survived that bombing was from my small hometown. 2 months after that bombing, I and many of my classmates (my Senior year in HS) were talking to the Marine recruiter. Before it was said and done, 10 of us joined the USMC. It affected many of us that had friends that were affected. Most people don't even remember it happening.

Anyways, a year and a half later, I was sitting on a ship off the coast of Lebanon as a member of 3rd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment. I felt like I was right where I belonged. Ready and willing to do what was necessary to make sure no one in the Middle East could ever do that kind of carnage again.