Alright lets talk spaghetti

How do you serve Spaghetti

• Mix it all in one dish and serve it to the table

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Keep the sauce and noodles in separate dishes

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters

Irishblooded

Help me with an on going argument in our household.

When you make spaghetti. Once everything is done, to serve it. Which do you do?

Are you a fan of mixing the sauce with the noodles in one big dish and bringing it to the table that way, to help reduce dishes etc. Or are you fan of keeping them separate and letting people choose their sauce to noodle ratio?

and as an aside** American Spaghetti is a staple that is in almost every households weekly rotation, I called it American because we usually don't boil tomatoes all day to make the sauce,, the American version is hamburger meat with a jar of sauce and everybody has their own add ins,, and some type of boiled pasta, but this easy version is cheap, and relatively fast,, stores well for leftovers, and take to work lunches for the week, its as American as baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and Chevrolet :)

I prefer it separate. My wife makes a pretty good sauce, very thick and meaty and I’d rather control how much of it I pile on the pasta.
This, I want to control the amount of noodles. Sauce/meatballs go on top, not mixed! And my go-to sauce is Prego with Mushrooms, preferably with Angel hair pasta.

Last edited:
This, I want to control the amount of noodles. Sauce/meatballs go on top, not mixed! And my go-to sauce is Prego with Mushrooms, preferably with Angel hair pasta.

Angel hair pasta for me as well, add Italian seasoning and a couple of table spoons of minced garlic as it boils. I prefer a chunky sauce, so I like to add a can of diced tomatoes and an extra can of mushrooms to the sauce. I dump some dehydrated onions into the ground beef while I'm browning it. BTW, add about a half cup of water to the ground beef. Helps it brown quicker and more evenly.

Separate or not, top it with plenty of real parmesan.

Last edited:
and as an aside** American Spaghetti is a staple that is in almost every households weekly rotation, I called it American because we usually don't boil tomatoes all day to make the sauce,, the American version is hamburger meat with a jar of sauce and everybody has their own add ins,, and some type of boiled pasta, but this easy version is cheap, and relatively fast,, stores well for leftovers, and take to work lunches for the week, its as American as baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and FORD :)

FIFY

Separate, but I don't bring it to the table, its on the stove and you make your plate there and then you bring it to the table or couch or wherever you want to eat it.

This is pretty much the way my mom and my ex made it so we do the same in my house.

The only difference between the way I make it and my daughters is that I cook up some sweet Italian sausage, and cut it up into about 1 - 2 inch chunks and throw it in the sauce when it has about 30 minutes left to simmer.

This is pretty much the way my mom and my ex made it so we do the same in my house.

The only difference between the way I make it and my daughters is that I cook up some sweet Italian sausage, and cut it up into about 1 - 2 inch chunks and throw it in the sauce when it has about 30 minutes left to simmer.

A true carnivore. I'm digging it.

The reason I ask this, cooking is a big deal in our house. We are the family that always has our kids friends over and takes the day to make big meals and sit around the table for hours. There is something intimate about making a meal and sharing it, and there is a sense of fraternity there that you don't get many other ways. That said, generally I am the cook in the house. I just enjoy cooking. Anyone here that is on my facebook will tell you I post pictures all the times of what I have smoked or made, or shared etc.

My wife was raised to always mix everything together and then serve it to the table in a big pot. I am not a fan of this. Like others said, I would rather have it separate and let people mix how much sauce they want to go with their noodles, and when you mix it all together no matter what when you mix it, all the sauce goes to the bottom, drives me crazy. It is one of those 'we've been married for years and she knows it kind of things' ;).

My family serves it separate. Usually a sauce heavy on the meat. Personally, I like a sauce heavy on basil.

The last decent, non-chain restaurant I ate at (New Orleans) they served the sauce and Italian sausage separate from the noodles.

BTW, I do like Chef-boy-ardee straight out of the can, so my redneck card is still valid.

Last edited:
Flashback: tenth street elementary school round 1974, spaghetti day in the lunchroom, it was awesome, and the homemade yeast rolls were the shit.. I tore a hole in the roll and pulled out all the middle and filled it with spaghetti making the world's first ever "Sketti sammich"

FWIW, I prefer angel hair to spaghetti so much that I simply never consider buying spaghetti anymore. The texture is so much better to my tastes.

Amd the answer is to serve separately.