Awkward NIL situation for Minnesota

Shower Fart

Occasionally a shower shart
This NIL story warms my heart, mostly because a guy who probably didn’t get much (if any) money is cashing in.

Minnesota’s starting QB and a back up QB are already in the portal. A fifth year senior QB had planned to leave the team prior to their bowl game and move to Arizona with his fiancé. Minny was without a QB, so they found a donor who came up with $30k to entice the kid to stay. Not a bad pay day for a career scout team type of player.

This NIL story warms my heart, mostly because a guy who probably didn’t get much (if any) money is cashing in.

Minnesota’s starting QB and a back up QB are already in the portal. A fifth year senior QB had planned to leave the team prior to their bowl game and move to Arizona with his fiancé. Minny was without a QB, so they found a donor who came up with $30k to entice the kid to stay. Not a bad pay day for a career scout team type of player.

Extortion.

I demand a full investigation.

Heads will roll.

They really need to change the college football calendar so transfers don't have to make these decisions before the season ends.

Isn't there another portal period in the spring? Couldn't they just wait until then?

They could but this is the portal window for coaches trying to finalize their rosters for the spring. For the life of me, I don't know why they don't just push this window back until all the bowl games are finished. That would allow all the players to finish their commitments and then make the best decision for themselves for the next season. It seems like a win-win for everyone IMO.

They could but this is the portal window for coaches trying to finalize their rosters for the spring. For the life of me, I don't know why they don't just push this window back until all the bowl games are finished. That would allow all the players to finish their commitments and then make the best decision for themselves for the next season. It seems like a win-win for everyone IMO.
Excellent point. I wasn't looking at that perspective. I was more looking at the players waiting until they saw whether or not they would be at the top of the depth chart of their current team after spring practice. If they are leaving for more playing time, maybe they get it without leaving. NIL has skewed my vision of how all this should work.

Same for coaching hires & moving programs. They should be forced to wait until the National Championship is over. Same with players transferring.

Isn't there another portal period in the spring? Couldn't they just wait until then?
I think the academic calendar that most schools use either force students to enroll now or wait until after spring practice. IF I am correct, a solution shouldn't be too hard to find. Perhaps online courses or allowing mid term transfer continuation credit for same/similar classes.

The school calendar, kids have to be enrolled by the start of the winter semester which is early to mid Jan for most schools