Big XII bringing bank in

CowpokeU

Brett Yormark, Big XII conference Commish just netted a 2.2 billion dollar package for the Big XII until 2034 with a majority ESPN deal 60% & 40% FOX with Tier 3 rights purchased in it's entirety by ESPN which is massive as individual programs will not have to sell it on the market.

With this deal, each team is expected to start at $51 million per year accounting for Football & Basketball with Pro Rata built in with a clause that increases profits for focusing on picking up P5 teams in expansion.

The future feels pretty good, especially since it was protected to go down to 22 million by former Commish Bob Bowlsby.

I fully expect to hear chatter by weeks end by the 4 corner schools of the Pac

Time for the Big 12 to upgrade.

123-MY22_OpenRange_395BHS_3-4_674x300.png

I was hoping for more, to be honest. I did not think Tier 3 would be included in the $400 million number that was thrown around and this did not even reach that number. I know this is an increase and keeps us on network TV, instead of relying on streaming services, but there will be a significant gap between what the XII make and what the B1G and SEC make. No one knows how much the PAC will make yet. The only thing this solidifies is that the XII will be above the ACC until their deal ends, but their next deal will have a huge jump due to the ACC Network costs being paid off. I guess this extension does get us back to the table between the B1G and SEC and ACC for the next round, but can the schools remain relevant for that timeframe. Less $ is less resources to keep coaches, players and upgrade facilities. Realistically, to be considered a top tier conference, I think the schools need to pull in about 75% of the highest conference payout.

I was hoping for more, to be honest. I did not think Tier 3 would be included in the $400 million number that was thrown around and this did not even reach that number. I know this is an increase and keeps us on network TV, instead of relying on streaming services, but there will be a significant gap between what the XII make and what the B1G and SEC make. No one knows how much the PAC will make yet. The only thing this solidifies is that the XII will be above the ACC until their deal ends, but their next deal will have a huge jump due to the ACC Network costs being paid off. I guess this extension does get us back to the table between the B1G and SEC and ACC for the next round, but can the schools remain relevant for that timeframe. Less $ is less resources to keep coaches, players and upgrade facilities. Realistically, to be considered a top tier conference, I think the schools need to pull in about 75% of the highest conference payout.

The gap has been set. The only way we can shrink it is by winning natty's, that's it. Win and eyes get on us. Become conference honkers like SEC fans, it's already working on social media, it's part of the reason for outperforming everyone but the SEC in average eyes per game.

One of the biggest pieces here is the Pro Rata built in for expansion with a hint that it means almost exactly at the networks desired need for expansion to keep going.

The thing about tier 3 happens to be that ESPN+ will carry those games as well host The Big XII Network on the ESPN streaming service. That's actually massive news, now we have an actual conference network forming where the LHN kept it from being a reality for so long.

Another interesting aspect was FOX throwing money explicitly at Basketball rights as well as FS1 will now start showing basketball games.

The *rumor* here is if the 4 Corners schools come over that number will jump to $61,000,000 per school per year based on the P5 language built into the Pro Rata clause.

Pro Rata usually means that the payout per school will stay the same when additional teams are added, but they could have built escalation clauses into the contract (or even verbally) allowing for a higher payout with certain additions. Anyway, I hope you are correct.

As for closing the gap, I think that is why the deal ends when it does. It is lower now, but if we can build the brand more and continue to get good ratings, we could be rewarded moving forward. My hope is that the PAC comes in lower and we do get some additions. Then we need to prove it on the field (which sadly my team isn't doing right now).

Pro Rata usually means that the payout per school will stay the same when additional teams are added, but they could have built escalation clauses into the contract (or even verbally) allowing for a higher payout with certain additions. Anyway, I hope you are correct.

As for closing the gap, I think that is why the deal ends when it does. It is lower now, but if we can build the brand more and continue to get good ratings, we could be rewarded moving forward. My hope is that the PAC comes in lower and we do get some additions. Then we need to prove it on the field (which sadly my team isn't doing right now).
It's an Escalator Pro Rata with more of a bump if the programs are P5 as opposed to G5.

The networks & language here hints that they want us to take Oregon State & Wazzu as well when the PAC falls. It's incentive to keep them.

It's an Escalator Pro Rata with more of a bump if the programs are P5 as opposed to G5.

The networks & language here hints that they want us to take Oregon State & Wazzu as well when the PAC falls. It's incentive to keep them.
Ok, for more money, I'll take being in the Big(18)12 . $61 a year is FAR closer than I would have hoped for this contract. I guess Brett needs to be calling his buddy Kevin to make this happen.

Big XII in serious talks with Gonzaga for becoming a Conference Member in Basketball. Jeeeezzzzzz this would be murderers row and then some

It def. would make the conference even better in BB, but not sure what I think about this. Remember my school was part of the old Big East which had a number of BB only schools and it really caused problems. Also, we don't NEED to add 'Zaga to be murderers' row, we are already there.