Bold Move

PSUTE

Back to herding cats...
Staff member
Got this email today. Future of what's left of true journalism?

mail
Dear Tribune reader:

I am inviting you to be part of exciting changes about to take place at our Pulitzer Prize-winning newsroom. The IRS has permitted The Salt Lake Tribune to make a historic transition from a for-profit daily to a publicly funded
501(c)(3) charitable organization.

More than 2,000 U.S. newspapers have closed since 2004 and hundreds more are on the verge because the traditional business model no longer works. The Washington Post recently asked and answered the key question facing so many communities: “The death knell for local newspapers? It is perilously close.”

Not in Utah.

Not waiting for others to chart a new course, The Tribune is leading the way. Utahns keenly understand the role independent, watchdog journalism plays in our state. We understand the consequences of losing this pillar of democracy.

We have come close to losing The Tribune before. I have every confidence that, with your support, Utah will always have The Tribune. Today, we are launching a campaign to help sustain this critical public service. We are asking you to help us make history. For openers, I will give the paper I purchased three years ago to the newly created nonprofit.

Boldly I ask all who depend on local reporting and who know the value of quality journalism, people of means large and small, to help in this unprecedented undertaking by making a tax-deductible contribution to The Salt Lake Tribune. We are also building an endowment at the Utah Journalism Foundation sufficient to keep The Tribune operating in perpetuity.
I believe that public support, not profits, ought to drive The Tribune’s finances and future. I believe Utah deserves a paper that unflinchingly reports the news without fear or favor. I believe The Tribune deserves a dynamic future. And I believe that can only be accomplished with this new business model.

Today, we are doubling down on the idea that if we ask loyal Tribune readers like you to invest in us, to replace private ownership with a public proprietorship, we can build a sustainable model for local news for our second 150 years.

People across the nation are looking to us to create a new model for local journalism. I am telling them to count on Utah where the First Amendment is alive and well.

Please pledge your support today. It’s an investment you will be proud of.

Thank you,

Paul Huntsman
Chairman of the Board of Directors
The Salt Lake Tribune

Technology is changing things. Did you see what Dave Ruben dropped this week? What appears to become decent competition to YouTube combined with Patreon where you control your own channel and own your own content/subscriber list. Barrier to market just got lower.
Awesome. My brother and I have been talking about and hoping someone with the resources would do this for years.