Defense vs Offense in todays college football

200.gif

We all have always been raised on "Defense wins championships"

Is it fair at this point to alter this to say "Defense will get you to the championship, offense wins it"
IMHO it is more than fair to say that. By rule making alone, the NCAA has swung the balance away from the dominant Ds to now favoring points on the board for television revenue interests. Sooner or later the pendulum will swing back.

In a fair fight I believe that.

But with the rules today. I feel they keep handicapping the great defenses.

For years the best players played on offense. But in the 80s and 90s we saw a mass exodus of truly elite players wanting to play defense vs offense. You always had your sensations before that. But not in the quality of numbers like you did at that point.

Over the decades since then the NCAA seems to keep just keep making rules that favor the offense over the defense. Look at how bad taunting, roughing, and targeting calls have got.

While I agree. Keeping an opponent from scoring is an easy bullet point to winning. Look at the national championship teams in the last 5 years. Tell me which one was defense superior vs their offense. Since the playoff started. The lowest scoring winning score was Bama over Georgia 26-23. The next closest is 35-31. Since those two games the scores have been 44-16, 42-25, and 52-24.

In a fair fight I believe that.

But with the rules today. I feel they keep handicapping the great defenses.

For years the best players played on offense. But in the 80s and 90s we saw a mass exodus of truly elite players wanting to play defense vs offense. You always had your sensations before that. But not in the quality of numbers like you did at that point.

Over the decades since then the NCAA seems to keep just keep making rules that favor the offense over the defense. Look at how bad taunting, roughing, and targeting calls have got.

While I agree. Keeping an opponent from scoring is an easy bullet point to winning. Look at the national championship teams in the last 5 years. Tell me which one was defense superior vs their offense. Since the playoff started. The lowest scoring winning score was Bama over Georgia 26-23. The next closest is 35-31. Since those two games the scores have been 44-16, 42-25, and 52-24.

I'll agree that the rules favor offense. I'll also agree that elite players have chosen offense over defense more often than not. I think that pendulum will swing. @batchaps4me said the same. An elite player that came out of HS as a CB/WR has a choice to make. Where can he make a difference and bring attention to his physical talent? An elite player that came out of HS as a RB/LB, what can he do to bring attention to his talent? When the rules make the offense easy, someone has to stop that. The pendulum is already swinging. We just haven't seen the results, yet.