Gog hates me!

I declared war on my liver 35 years ago. I'm still throwing everything I got at it to no avail.

Image may contain: drink

I've been fighting it since 1989, first attack. Unlike most, I rarely get it in the big toe. Usually in pinky toe. I was getting a minor attack, in the 1990's, about every six-eight weeks. A major attack two or three times a year. Major joints are seriously bad. Ankle and knee attacks would put me on crutches for up to two weeks. Finally got on medication for it, colchicine and alipurinol. One prevents onset (accumulation of uric acid, which crystalizes in the joint) and other "melts" the crystals after onset. I'm actually weened off of the medication and have learned what foods to avoid and recognize the early onset symptoms and make adjustments to prevent it.

For pain take anti-imflamatory medicines. There is gout specific like indomethecine, however. I had better luck with 800 mgs of ibuprofen, three times a day.

Avoid anything affects the blood like dehydration, alcohol, elevated blood sugar, etc. it exacerbates the onset. Drink tons of water to flush uric acid out of system. Try not to aggravate affected area, inflammation restricts blood flow and allows uric acid to pool and crystallize. Gout will jump on an inflammation injury like a sprain because of lack of blood flow. For a severe attack, you will likely notice a pronounced "crack" at the end of the attack as the cyrstals shatter and instant onset of relief.

Foods to avoid, anything with niacin. Niacin converts to uric acid after ingesting. Red meat, shellfish (especially cooked in the shell), dark leafy vegetables like collards. Avoid sweets (build up of blood sugar levels) if feeling an onset of gout. Avoid cereal! It is sweet and actually fortified with niacin (usually 25% of daily allowance, niacin is great for skin health, but bad for gout). Be sure to have a set of crutches around for severe attacks, wheelchair for severe attacks in both legs at same time.