I got my own dinosaur.

In somewhat related news, I was recently placed as a charter board member of a regional Archeological Institute. More for my historical knowledge of the region, than for my archeological expertise, although I have worked a screed with our primary archeologist.

I put the archeologist on a 1756 church site that I had visited years ago. They called while in the field, having trouble finding it. I walked them to it over the phone. They are working the site now, since the January phone call. No dinosaurs, but a lot of Paleo Indian artifacts in addition to the colonial artifacts. Just test holes for the most part, but have found more gravestones (sunken/silted over). Site is riverfront on a timber tract. River plain/swamp is not conducive for fossilized remains.

A fellow board member is working a dig in Belize in their winter months. He's doing cutting edge work on identifying types of animals that were killed by arrow/spear by analyzing blood residue. Even if thousands of years old. They identified a mastodon kill in my county in South Carolina. The residue was a match to modern elephants. They have sabre tooth cats, camels, giant beavers (bigger than a grizzly bear, horses (extinct natives before European horses), and many others. Again these were killed by humans in America, probably in the 13,000 to 20,000 years ago range.

In somewhat related news, I was recently placed as a charter board member of a regional Archeological Institute. More for my historical knowledge of the region, than for my archeological expertise, although I have worked a screed with our primary archeologist.

I put the archeologist on a 1756 church site that I had visited years ago. They called while in the field, having trouble finding it. I walked them to it over the phone. They are working the site now, since the January phone call. No dinosaurs, but a lot of Paleo Indian artifacts in addition to the colonial artifacts. Just test holes for the most part, but have found more gravestones (sunken/silted over). Site is riverfront on a timber tract. River plain/swamp is not conducive for fossilized remains.

A fellow board member is working a dig in Belize in their winter months. He's doing cutting edge work on identifying types of animals that were killed by arrow/spear by analyzing blood residue. Even if thousands of years old. They identified a mastodon kill in my county in South Carolina. The residue was a match to modern elephants. They have sabre tooth cats, camels, giant beavers (bigger than a grizzly bear, horses (extinct natives before European horses), and many others. Again these were killed by humans in America, probably in the 13,000 to 20,000 years ago range.
Now that's cool. I love that stuff.