My son, the Army recruiter ...

batchaps4me

2022 Poster of The Year!
called me last night. His first ever enlistee sent him a letter from boot camp. The poor guy enlisted for Airborne Infantry and flew out to Fort Benning in October. He spent a couple of days snowed in at Denver airport and missed the start of his boot camp so has been in a holding company at Benning for over a month. The letter reads, "Thanks for everything, I finally start basic tomorrow. This place sucks dick. Signed, the first soul you harvested."

Who knows what the future will bring,, could be good or bad... and everybody is different..
but,,
Joining the Navy was the best decision I ever made,, In truth, it probably saved my life,,
The Navy was my college,, the education that I received during those 4 years could not have been more complete or more appropriate anywhere else.. the Friendships made last forever,, the bonds deeper than any others before or since..
I thank God for my time in the Navy,, It was exactly what I needed.

Who knows what the future will bring,, could be good or bad... and everybody is different..
but,,
Joining the Navy was the best decision I ever made,, In truth, it probably saved my life,,
The Navy was my college,, the education that I received during those 4 years could not have been more complete or more appropriate anywhere else.. the Friendships made last forever,, the bonds deeper than any others before or since..
I thank God for my time in the Navy,, It was exactly what I needed.

The recruit is going to be fine, but it would really suck to be in a holding company pre boot camp for a month, especially at Benning. My son tells them realistically what boot will be like but he never prepped the guy for a month long holding company.

I never wasted so much time as I did in Navy bootcamp- what a joke, they taught us nothing of any use. Fortunately, you got a crash course in Navy once you got to your ship. My biggest mistake was in getting out after one enlistment.
Boot camp was. well. boot camp. Not difficult. Never saw so many momma's boys incapable of taking care of themselves in even a basic way. Yeah, several got washed out real quick.

But the regular Navy I was sent to was proof of McHale's Navy. It was one clown show. All kinda crap went down on my first ship.

Boot camp was. well. boot camp. Not difficult. Never saw so many momma's boys incapable of taking care of themselves in even a basic way. Yeah, several got washed out real quick.

But the regular Navy I was sent to was proof of McHale's Navy. It was one clown show. All kinda crap went down on my first ship.
I had a different experience, salty crew and squared way ship. Our Chiefs and most leading POs were really good.

I had a different experience, salty crew and squared way ship. Our Chiefs and most leading POs were really good.
me too,, my first full year on board the USS Fahrion, our ship was selected to rep the entire navy at Mardi Gras.. pulling up the Mississippi and mooring to the dock near canal street was something.
My career path was different. I spent an entire 20 year career in the Navy without EVER serving onboard a ship. I was Navy Aircrew, and the bird I flew on was too large to land on a carrier. (P-3C Orion 98 ft wingspan). Once I was trained and certified on the P-3 Orion I was locked into that NEC for the rest of my career. Multiple tours with VP-16 and VP-30, with tours in VP-45 and VP-4.

My career path was different. I spent an entire 20 year career in the Navy without EVER serving onboard a ship. I was Navy Aircrew, and the bird I flew on was too large to land on a carrier. (P-3C Orion 98 ft wingspan). Once I was trained and certified on the P-3 Orion I was locked into that NEC for the rest of my career. Multiple tours with VP-16 and VP-30, with tours in VP-45 and VP-4.

Y'all were our enemy, same as we viewed the Soviets. My son's high school ROTC Commander was a P-3 pilot … err aviator … and was a squadron Commander out of Iceland back in the late 70s and early 80's.

BTW, I have a great story to tell about a running joke that my son has with a fellow E-6 in his office that just blew up, but in all seriousness I have to wait a couple of weeks to see how his command handles it. Right now all I want to say is that IF there was ever a shred of doubt that he is really my son, this answered the doubt better than a DNA test could.