Reports B1G is back in Convos with Oregon & Washington

b1g.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I wish the conferences would remain regional and there would be a relative balance in the P5 conferences. But we are passed that point. At this point it's the Big Ten and SEC. If you aren't in those two conferences, it's gonna be tough to compete moving forward.
If the SEC ends up taking Clemson and FSU, after UW and UO join the Big10, It will be 2 power conferences and the rest.

If the SEC ends up taking Clemson and FSU, after UW and UO join the Big10, It will be 2 power conferences and the rest.

IMO we are already heading down that path. I think they're running out of room in those two ships as well. Notre Dame, Clemson, FSU, Washington, Oregon and possibly Miami are the only schools with media valuations close enough to be considered IMO. It's going to be tough for anyone not listed there to get in the SEC or Big Ten. The only exception could be if ND really wants Stanford to be added to the Big Ten. Notre Dame's pull with Stanford's academic prestige may be enough to get them in.

I think the SEC will ultimately bring in FSU and Clemson to prevent the Big Ten from getting a presence in the south. I think ND will eventually have to join the Big Ten and the Big Ten has to decide if bringing in UW and/or Oregon is worth it.

IMO we are already heading down that path. I think they're running out of room in those two ships as well. Notre Dame, Clemson, FSU, Washington, Oregon and possibly Miami are the only schools with media valuations close enough to be considered IMO. It's going to be tough for anyone not listed there to get in the SEC or Big Ten. The only exception could be if ND really wants Stanford to be added to the Big Ten. Notre Dame's pull with Stanford's academic prestige may be enough to get them in.

I think the SEC will ultimately bring in FSU and Clemson to prevent the Big Ten from getting a presence in the south. I think ND will eventually have to join the Big Ten and the Big Ten has to decide if bringing in UW and/or Oregon is worth it.
The ship has sailed, the genie is out of the bottle AND the horse has left the barn.

Also the toothpaste is out of the tube.

Someone told me that the B1G is gonna go to the 3-6-6 as well.

They said that Nebraskas 3 perm were going to be UCLA, Iowa, and Illinois. Just message board rumors as far as I am aware though.
Welcome aboard. I think the 3-6-6 model is the best option for a 16 team field. When the B1G and SEC grow to 20, it will become more difficult to understand how to work it out as far as seasonal conference opponents.

Welcome aboard. I think the 3-6-6 model is the best option for a 16 team field. When the B1G and SEC grow to 20, it will become more difficult to understand how to work it out as far as seasonal conference opponents.
Yeah, whenever it gets to that point, the B1G and the SEC need to break away from the NCAA and just do their own thing. Kinda surprised it hasn't happened already.

Yeah, whenever it gets to that point, the B1G and the SEC need to break away from the NCAA and just do their own thing. Kinda surprised it hasn't happened already.

I'm not sure the SEC and B1G really need to squeeze everyone else out. They'll be making a lot more money than everyone else but the networks don't want to see the other fanbases (ACC, Big 12, PAC 12) completely check out.

I'm not sure the SEC and B1G really need to squeeze everyone else out. They'll be making a lot more money than everyone else but the networks don't want to see the other fanbases (ACC, Big 12, PAC 12) completely check out.
I don't think they need to, but I think it is almost inevitable. There is no denying that some of these schools, just don't contribute much to the conference. They are takers not givers. That is basically what OU and Texas are fed up with and same with the talk surrounding Clemson and FSU.

I suspect it will just be another shift... FCS will essentially become D2, G5 will essentially become FCS, P5 leftovers will essentially become G5, then you will have 40-60 of remaining power schools that will probably be restructured to look like CFB of old. I am hoping that we can get OU back as a permanent rival.

I suspect it will just be another shift... FCS will essentially become D2, G5 will essentially become FCS, P5 leftovers will essentially become G5, then you will have 40-60 of remaining power schools that will probably be restructured to look like CFB of old.

This restructuring is past due, IMO. The # of FCS/1AA teams that have joined D1 in the last 10-15 years is ridiculous. It just needs to be fixed by doing exactly what you propose.

This restructuring is past due, IMO. The # of FCS/1AA teams that have joined D1 in the last 10-15 years is ridiculous. It just needs to be fixed by doing exactly what you propose.
Or once the remaining 40-60 power schools are divided up, each division/conference could have a G5 conference version under it from which we could do 1 or 2 teams per year in essentially relegation bowl games. Winner of the relegation decides who gets what conferences payout lol.

That will never happen with rivalries and such, but interesting to think about.

Last edited:
I don't think they need to, but I think it is almost inevitable. There is no denying that some of these schools, just don't contribute much to the conference. They are takers not givers. That is basically what OU and Texas are fed up with and same with the talk surrounding Clemson and FSU.

I suspect it will just be another shift... FCS will essentially become D2, G5 will essentially become FCS, P5 leftovers will essentially become G5, then you will have 40-60 of remaining power schools that will probably be restructured to look like CFB of old. I am hoping that we can get OU back as a permanent rival.

I'm not so sure. It sounds like a bad business model to make 2/3 of the P5 fans check out because they have been pushed out. I think the SEC and Big Ten just want to rule the college football world, not destroy the rest of it. I think it makes more sense to let the other conferences hang around, make less money and still have their fans invested and watching college football. JMO though.

I'm not so sure. It sounds like a bad business model to make 2/3 of the P5 fans check out because they have been pushed out. I think the SEC and Big Ten just want to rule the college football world, not destroy the rest of it. I think it makes more sense to let the other conferences hang around, make less money and still have their fans invested and watching college football. JMO though.
I hear ya, but really we are talking about schools that don't have the same level of support as others. You are talking about 2/3s of the schools, but realistically 2/3s of the fans are owned by the 40-60 remaining power schools and if we're honest, it is probably larger than that. No one is going to believe that these schools that struggle to sell out 30k stadiums are going to have a huge impact on the ones that rountinely sell out 80k+.

I don't think it necessarily destroys CFB, but it undoubtedly drastically changes it. I think the separation would allow for the others to have their own NCG/playoff as well, which will garner its own set of eyes and tv deals... just not as big as the big dogs. There is potential for those smaller schools to grow.

I hear ya, but really we are talking about schools that don't have the same level of support as others. You are talking about 2/3s of the schools, but realistically 2/3s of the fans are owned by the 40-60 remaining power schools and if we're honest, it is probably larger than that. No one is going to believe that these schools that struggle to sell out 30k stadiums are going to have a huge impact on the ones that rountinely sell out 80k+.

I don't think it necessarily destroys CFB, but it undoubtedly drastically changes it. I think the separation would allow for the others to have their own NCG/playoff as well, which will garner its own set of eyes and tv deals... just not as big as the big dogs. There is potential for those smaller schools to grow.

I still believe it's a really bad idea for the long term health of the sport. If you start kicking too many teams out of the highest level, fans are going to start checking out. You may get a larger slice of the pie but that pie is going to shrink over time.

I think your numbers are off. If you are just looking at ratings, I am a fan of one of those that will be left behind. Most of my friends that follow "Big time" schools (i.e. PSU, tOSU, Michigan, ND) only watch their school. I watch more B1G/SEC games than they do in a weekend. My team gets excluded and I am done, and I am not the only one. Not saying we need to make equal revenue, but we have to be about 2/3 there when all is said and done. If we end up in the new FCS, that is all I will watch.

I think your numbers are off. If you are just looking at ratings, I am a fan of one of those that will be left behind. Most of my friends that follow "Big time" schools (i.e. PSU, tOSU, Michigan, ND) only watch their school. I watch more B1G/SEC games than they do in a weekend. My team gets excluded and I am done, and I am not the only one. Not saying we need to make equal revenue, but we have to be about 2/3 there when all is said and done. If we end up in the new FCS, that is all I will watch.
No disrespect meant here, but I highly doubt that. Why would you suddenly check out and stop watching altogether just because WVU isn't playing in the new Power league? BTW, I am not saying that they wouldn't be included, but for the sake of argument, we can assume it. WVU would still likely be playing teams like ISU, K-St, Okie St, Baylor, Louisville, Marshall, BC, etc... I mean, there are really tons of solid G5 and solid left-over P5 out there to make it interesting and if they banded together and played their own playoff, I absolutely would watch. As a matter of fact, I might take up a second favorite team for that division of football. It would be cool to see 3 different divisional playoffs (a major, minor, and FCS league) all battling for their own respective national champion. Not sure what you mean by my numbers being off, the reason we have this divide right now is basically because the majority of fans/viewers have spoken, the B1G and SEC garner the most attention, sell out massive stadiums, etc and it isn't really close.

FTR, this is not what I want, but what I am saying here is basically two-fold... part 1 this is what I expect will eventually happen and the part 2 is what I think could make it better when this does happen.

I still believe it's a really bad idea for the long term health of the sport. If you start kicking too many teams out of the highest level, fans are going to start checking out. You may get a larger slice of the pie but that pie is going to shrink over time.
As much as I am sure we would all like to turn the clock back to the 90's (lol), it's just not going to happen. The sport is changing and the only thing we can really do is try to make it so that it stays relevant even if at different levels and that these Universities don't end up ditching their sports.

Agreed. This is why it doesn't make sense for the Big Ten and SEC to create their own division. They can still make record money while keeping the ACC, Big 12 and PAC around. As you stated, a lot of fans from around the nation will stop watching college football if their teams become the new FCS. I think the Big Ten and SEC understand this.

This isn't about turning back the clock, it's about not killing off a good thing. If you try to turn college football into the NFL, casual fans will tune out and just watch the NFL.