San Diego hates cars

California is turning into a supermax prison.

So I went to San Diego as a early 20s guy in the late 90s early 00's. I remember we were down by the beach and there was bums everywhere but they didn't both anyone. I remember asking my buddy that lived there what the deal with them was. I shit you not, here was his answer.

The bums were given cigarettes and beer every day, along with a meal plan of some kind at the local shelters. The reason being that San Diego and the surrounding area realized that the bums and homeless bothering all of the tourists constantly for these needs, was costing the city more money in lost revenue than it would cost to just pay for it themselves.

I honestly sat there for longer than you would think, really questioning my life choices. These guys basically just slept on park benches, spent the day hanging out on some of the nicest beaches in the country, got fed, free booze, and smokes, and in return had to give up having a color tv and car. You almost wonder who is doing it wrong in the rat race of life

So I went to San Diego as a early 20s guy in the late 90s early 00's. I remember we were down by the beach and there was bums everywhere but they didn't both anyone. I remember asking my buddy that lived there what the deal with them was. I shit you not, here was his answer.

The bums were given cigarettes and beer every day, along with a meal plan of some kind at the local shelters. The reason being that San Diego and the surrounding area realized that the bums and homeless bothering all of the tourists constantly for these needs, was costing the city more money in lost revenue than it would cost to just pay for it themselves.

I honestly sat there for longer than you would think, really questioning my life choices. These guys basically just slept on park benches, spent the day hanging out on some of the nicest beaches in the country, got fed, free booze, and smokes, and in return had to give up having a color tv and car. You almost wonder who is doing it wrong in the rat race of life
I moved from San Diego in 79. It was nice there at that time. But I spose if one wants to check out on life that may be a way to go.

One guy with a rifle could fix that issue.

A similar question came up tonight with a colleague I work with. I was like "Here we are grinding it out while some people live their life on their own terms, subsidized by tax payers and they have learned how to work the system without any repercussions. It's their way of life. Sometimes a few days in jail or occasionally sleeping outdoors. For example, we have a recurrent client in his 40-50s that shows up after he gets his disability check a few days later. He will tell you he spent all of his money living in a hotel drinking and using drugs with hookers, going to strip bars, etc. Then he will show up suicidal (malingering) and he has a place to stay in a hospital with food and a bed (not just our hospital, he knows all of them in the state as documented in his chart). Then he will be released later only to do it again when it's the first of the month. I was like "we are doing this whole life shit wrong, lol."

Last edited:
A similar question came up tonight with a colleague I work with. I was like "Here we are grinding it out while some people live their life on their own terms, subsidized by tax payers and they have learned how to work the system without any repercussions. It's their way of life. Sometimes a few days in jail or occasionally sleeping outdoors. For example, we have a recurrent client in his 40-50s that shows up after he gets his disability check a few days later. He will tell you he spent all of his money living in a hotel drinking and using drugs with hookers, going to strip bars, etc. Then he will show up suicidal (malingering) and he has a place to stay in a hospital with food and a bed (not just our hospital, he knows all of them in the state as documented in his chart). Then he will be released later only to do it again when it's the first of the month. I was like "we are doing this whole life shit wrong, lol."
3 hot and a cot have been around for longer than I've been alive. Mental hospitals are much more comfortable than jails for the most part. It's a way of life for some. We called them snowbirds, they would time their crimes to get a court date and conviction so they could spend the winter in jail, warm, dry and fed...

3 hot and a cot have been around for longer than I've been alive. Mental hospitals are much more comfortable than jails for the most part. It's a way of life for some. We called them snowbirds, they would time their crimes to get a court date and conviction so they could spend the winter in jail, warm, dry and fed...
If you ever get arrested, just say Im suicidal! Then refuse to do a "safety plan."

How, exactly, would they ever enforce that? “You lived here, once, do you owe us forever!”