Schedule Changes You'd Make if You Could

Basement Bias

FlyingWolver9er
Looking at this from a B1G perspective and as a Michigan fan. Obviously as a Michigan fan, playing Notre Dame in week 3 in September. Now for the B1G schedule I wish every team played Halloween weekend just like Rivalry Weekend during Thanksgiving. Taking that even further on Halloween weekend for the 4 big names in each division (before PAC comes in): Wisconsin vs Nebraska, Iowa vs Minnesota, Michigan vs MSU, & PSU vs OSU. Then 2 weeks later (also 2 weeks before Rivalry Weekend): Wisconsin vs Iowa, Nebraska vs Minnesota, Michigan vs PSU, and MSU vs OSU. Obviously Rivalry weekend stays the same

I've said it for years. I would get rid of GT and UGA would play Clemson every season.
I think the taters are close to being relatively irrelevant again. I think 'Cuse hurts their feelings. If we get a win this week against A&M then I feel we will play the Taters close. Taters feel like a non top 5 team and struggling to stay top 10. A lost player or two from a noticeable drop in play. A lackluster recruiting class will be trouble for them in the near future. Losing all those assistant coaches, that fast, is going to bite them.

I think the taters are close to being relatively irrelevant again. I think 'Cuse hurts their feelings. If we get a win this week against A&M then I feel we will play the Taters close. Taters feel like a non top 5 team and struggling to stay top 10. A lost player or two from a noticeable drop in play. A lackluster recruiting class will be trouble for them in the near future. Losing all those assistant coaches, that fast, is going to bite them.
Legit observation. I'm actually contemplating taking 'Cuse and SCar this week in pick'em

Legit observation. I'm actually contemplating taking 'Cuse and SCar this week in pick'em
We are rapidly improving since y'all's game. Many of the Muschamp players went portal last year. I didn't realize until the Kentucky game that we had three freshmen in the defensive backfield. They're talented and the lightbulb has started brighten. The OL finally got the run game going pretty decent at the same time. We are playing at home and allegedly their starting QB was hurt in the Bama game. A loud night game may make the difference in rattling their QB.

Looking at this from a B1G perspective and as a Michigan fan. Obviously as a Michigan fan, playing Notre Dame in week 3 in September. Now for the B1G schedule I wish every team played Halloween weekend just like Rivalry Weekend during Thanksgiving. Taking that even further on Halloween weekend for the 4 big names in each division (before PAC comes in): Wisconsin vs Nebraska, Iowa vs Minnesota, Michigan vs MSU, & PSU vs OSU. Then 2 weeks later (also 2 weeks before Rivalry Weekend): Wisconsin vs Iowa, Nebraska vs Minnesota, Michigan vs PSU, and MSU vs OSU. Obviously Rivalry weekend stays the same
Get this plan to the commish!

You mean Indiana? The IU that struggled to beat WKU by 2-3 points the last 2 seasons? You ain't the Kentucky of old, bro, you should go after Purdue or Sparty.
Was just thinking about the border rivalry aspect, and I think they have improved. I would definitely take Sparty or Purdue.

Well Purdue is also a border rivalry, aren't they?
Yeah but IU is closer to Kentucky and they have fueds in other sports where Purdue not so much. Purdue being in the West Central part and having a bigger pull in the northern part of the state doesn't really equate to Kentucky. It's almost 2 different states in Indiana when you talk about the north vs south portions.

Bring back every Indy, that was Indy in 88. And then ND could do schedules with them. What kind of teams were Indy back then?

ND
Miami
FSU
WVU
Cuse
PITT
PSU
VTech
Navy

Now add in the annual game with USC, and then you can have Michigan, or Michigan State or who ever. And that is a pretty decent schedule for me.

Here are my thoughts. Every P5 team should be playing 9 conference games, at least 2 P5 OOC games, and a maximum of 1 G5 games - NO FCS OPPONENTS. This would make strength of schedules much more balanced, and you would be able to better compare teams. Also, this would lend itself to more OOC rivalries like Iowa/Iowa State, Florida/Florida State, etc. There should be a rivalry weekend at the beginning of the season before conference play starts and one during conference play (maybe Halloween or Thanksgiving).

Here are my thoughts. Every P5 team should be playing 9 conference games, at least 2 P5 OOC games, and a maximum of 1 G5 games - NO FCS OPPONENTS. This would make strength of schedules much more balanced, and you would be able to better compare teams. Also, this would lend itself to more OOC rivalries like Iowa/Iowa State, Florida/Florida State, etc. There should be a rivalry weekend at the beginning of the season before conference play starts and one during conference play (maybe Halloween or Thanksgiving).

Your perfect world would kill many FCS programs. The state of South Carolina's legislature requires that Clemson and South Carolina play an in-state FCS every year because the payout basically funds the FCS program for the season. While I agree with most of what you say, (9 game conference, 2 P5 OOC, even the scheduling of them. 1 early, 1 late.) I have been an FCS fan for nearly 40 years. At those lower levels, the guys are playing simply for their love of the game. It would be an egregious error to take that away from CFB.

Your perfect world would kill many FCS programs. The state of South Carolina's legislature requires that Clemson and South Carolina play an in-state FCS every year because the payout basically funds the FCS program for the season. While I agree with most of what you say, (9 game conference, 2 P5 OOC, even the scheduling of them. 1 early, 1 late.) I have been an FCS fan for nearly 40 years. At those lower levels, the guys are playing simply for their love of the game. It would be an egregious error to take that away from CFB.
Understand, but could not G5s fill this role? Those programs need to schedule wins to remain relevant in today's CFB as well and it could actually elevate the FCS teams, as they have a better chance of knocking off Miami (OH) than Miami (FL) - (usually :)).

I love watching all levels, even D3, NAIA and Jr Colleges - but watching Bama destroy Austin Peay in November is no fun (even for them).

Last edited: