Sorry Bama fans. Welcome to Athens Scott Cochran!

When Oregon was kicking our ass this year and they showed him on the sidelines. I wanted to climb through my TV and rip that thing off his face. Although, being a S&C coach he would probably kick my ass, but I would go down fighting.
Being strong doesn’t mean he can fight... especially against a sneaky old bastard that cheats!!!

so he's going to be a special teams coach,, interesting.

I'll let some of the best high school head coaches in Alabama's history respond to this.

Rush Propst, former head coach at Hoover High and Colquitt County (State titles in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2014 and 2015)

I know he’s not going to be over strength and conditioning. He’s going to be over special teams but he was involved with special teams at Alabama.”

“He didn’t coach on the field but he was involved in it. A lot of people are saying it is going to be brand new to him this time. It may be the first time he has run a meeting there for that but you know he runs meetings. He has run big meetings. He’s just taking it from the weight room to the film room.”

“I don’t know that [moving to an on-field coach] is a big difference. He’s always been able to control players. That’s another big plus that Georgia is getting. The guy knows how to control players. I just have got to believe at times you have got to have I guess the politically correct word I need to use is lion tamers maybe. I think every staff at every program needs lion tamers because you are dealing with kids that need direction and sometimes tough direction. I think Scott has always been a guy that has been able to be that guy that coach leaned on at Alabama. So that, to me, is what Georgia is gaining.”

“Scott brings energy, man. He brings positive energy. I think he is going to affect every position group with the kids that are going to be playing for him on special teams. I really do. I believe he is going to be that extra 15 percent they need to get over the hump. I really believe that. To me, this hire could be monumental for the University of Georgia.”

Josh Niblett, Hoover High head coach (State titles in 2004, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017)

“I think a lot of folks need to know that the strength and conditioning coach is a different deal these days. It is everything. Everything from socially and spiritually and physically and mentally you are the guy for those kids. You are the guy. You are there. You are with those guys from the staff more than anybody in the building. You have more of an impact on that person and player than anybody else in the program. I don’t care who it is even more maybe than the head coach.”

“The thing about it is when you are at your lowest as a player and at your highest, he is there. But not only that. When you are having to work your hardest or not work your hardest, the guy that is there is going to be the strength and conditioning guy. He’s the guy who can make you do things you never thought you could do. That’s his job. He’s the guy you trust and the guy you will talk to about anything.”

“I don’t know if any player can say that about everybody that has ever coached them. I’m sure there are coaches out there who are able to have the relationship. But I just know from a strength and conditioning coach and being a mentor. Because now the strength and conditioning guy is also the culture guy. Culture now is so very important.

“When you and I were growing up did you ever hear the word ‘culture’ about a football team? That’s because it wasn’t ever an issue. You worked hard. You treated people right for the good of everybody and it was all about winning championships. So for now, not only does the strength guy have to get them stronger but he has to get them mentally stronger. He has to use psychology on them. I just think you have to have the right guy. There’s no doubt. That’s the first hire you have got to have before you hire anybody if you are going to be a head coach at any level.”

I'll let some of the best high school head coaches in Alabama's history respond to this.

Rush Propst, former head coach at Hoover High and Colquitt County (State titles in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2014 and 2015)

I know he’s not going to be over strength and conditioning. He’s going to be over special teams but he was involved with special teams at Alabama.”

“He didn’t coach on the field but he was involved in it. A lot of people are saying it is going to be brand new to him this time. It may be the first time he has run a meeting there for that but you know he runs meetings. He has run big meetings. He’s just taking it from the weight room to the film room.”

“I don’t know that [moving to an on-field coach] is a big difference. He’s always been able to control players. That’s another big plus that Georgia is getting. The guy knows how to control players. I just have got to believe at times you have got to have I guess the politically correct word I need to use is lion tamers maybe. I think every staff at every program needs lion tamers because you are dealing with kids that need direction and sometimes tough direction. I think Scott has always been a guy that has been able to be that guy that coach leaned on at Alabama. So that, to me, is what Georgia is gaining.”

“Scott brings energy, man. He brings positive energy. I think he is going to affect every position group with the kids that are going to be playing for him on special teams. I really do. I believe he is going to be that extra 15 percent they need to get over the hump. I really believe that. To me, this hire could be monumental for the University of Georgia.”

Josh Niblett, Hoover High head coach (State titles in 2004, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017)

“I think a lot of folks need to know that the strength and conditioning coach is a different deal these days. It is everything. Everything from socially and spiritually and physically and mentally you are the guy for those kids. You are the guy. You are there. You are with those guys from the staff more than anybody in the building. You have more of an impact on that person and player than anybody else in the program. I don’t care who it is even more maybe than the head coach.”

“The thing about it is when you are at your lowest as a player and at your highest, he is there. But not only that. When you are having to work your hardest or not work your hardest, the guy that is there is going to be the strength and conditioning guy. He’s the guy who can make you do things you never thought you could do. That’s his job. He’s the guy you trust and the guy you will talk to about anything.”

“I don’t know if any player can say that about everybody that has ever coached them. I’m sure there are coaches out there who are able to have the relationship. But I just know from a strength and conditioning coach and being a mentor. Because now the strength and conditioning guy is also the culture guy. Culture now is so very important.

“When you and I were growing up did you ever hear the word ‘culture’ about a football team? That’s because it wasn’t ever an issue. You worked hard. You treated people right for the good of everybody and it was all about winning championships. So for now, not only does the strength guy have to get them stronger but he has to get them mentally stronger. He has to use psychology on them. I just think you have to have the right guy. There’s no doubt. That’s the first hire you have got to have before you hire anybody if you are going to be a head coach at any level.”
I'm not knocking him dawg,, he's a great coach.. and we will miss him dearly. probably more than Kirby.

I'm not knocking him dawg,, he's a great coach.. and we will miss him dearly. probably more than Kirby.

Read the link. It's actually pretty good info. Respects for both sides of this. It's all about Cochran. They seem to think it will help Bama and UGA. It's a win/win/win

Propst: “Does it hurt Alabama? I don’t know yet. I’m torn on that and I’m going to tell you why. As good as Scott is and as good as what he has done for 13 seasons sometimes strength coaches play out. It is the same old message. The same song and dance. Sometimes it gets stale and old. Stale and old. Even in my program. It seems like I changed up my strength coach at my program and it paid off for me. [His former strength and conditioning coach] was the best I’ve ever been around. I think the best I’ve ever seen, including Scott Cochran. This guy [was] really good. He was with me at Hoover and came with me to Georgia. But he left after the 13th season and I changed it up and gave it then to another guy that had trained under him. He did change it up some and we won our first state championship in Georgia.”

“I think this move is good for both schools. Possibly good for both. The main thing is it is good for Scott Cochran because I know his dream. Scott wants to be a head football coach. I get it. I would be, too. He’s worked his tail off and I’m talking about worked his fanny off here now. I think him going to Georgia was a great move for him. I’m proud of him. I’m glad he did it and it gives him an opportunity to coach and one day be a head football coach. Let’s don’t stop understanding that.”

“The second thing is it helps Georgia in so many different ways. But the other thing I think of it on the other end is it may help at Alabama. People are split. I talked to 10 people probably in the last two days. I’ve had five people tell me that it will hurt Alabama. I’ve had five people say the same thing I have said. They think it may help Alabama. That remains to be seen.”

oie_23193626Ukw6IufJ.gif

Three or four seasons ago and I would concur it was a huge loss for Alabama. That said with the plague of non contact injuries lately I am wondering how effective he still was as S&C coach.

Last season I speculated quite often was his program the problem or just a string of unfortunate happenings.