Thoughts on week 1

david_WVU

What are your take aways from week 1? Mine are:
  • Clemson, TCU, LSU were all overrated because of their brand
  • Florida is worse than I thought
  • Florida State looked legit
  • The walking dead (i.e.PAC12) are undefeated (against teams they should have beat + TCU). Relax, it was only 1 upset.
  • The XII got upset in a few games. No biggie and I still expect some good games this year.
  • Did someone tell Duke and Syracuse that they actually have to play football now?
One last thing. Dont bitch if your opponent goes for it on 4th down and scored a TD with a few seconds on the clock to cover a 20.5 point spread. You play til the clock hits zeros and those kids (2nd/3rd string) deserve to score if they can.

• The walking dead (i.e.PAC12) are undefeated (against teams they should have beat + TCU). Relax, it was only 1 upset.
  • The XII got upset in a few games. No biggie and I still expect some good games this year.
  • Did someone tell Duke and Syracuse that they actually have to play football now?
One last thing. Dont bitch if your opponent goes for it on 4th down and scored a TD with a few seconds on the clock to cover a 20.5 point spread. You play til the clock hits zeros and those kids (2nd/3rd string) deserve to score if they can.
Or is Utah better?

Doh!

A few thoughts on each conference

ACC:
- Noles look like a legit title contender. I'm a big believer.
- Clemson probably isn't as bad as they looked in week 1 but they have many of the same issues that have plagued them recently.
- UNC with Drake Maye and that DL could be a problem

Big 12:
- I know it was Arkansas State but Oklahoma is going to be a problem this year.
- We may have overrated the depth of the Big 12. Not only did 3 double digit favorites lose but teams like Oklahoma State and BYU looked bad while beating overmatched opponents.
- Week 2 is a huge opportunity to bring respect back to the league.

Big Ten:
- The West is a mess again. I'm not sure anyone is going to pull away with that division. Maybe Wisconsin?
- Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan all won comfortably but I'm not sure any of them looked dominant. The conference is still going to be decided between these 3.
- Northwestern is going to struggle to win a league game.

PAC 12:
- PAC 12 had a great week 1. Not only did every team win but most of the teams outperformed the point spreads by a lot.
- I think we knew teams like USC, UO, UW, Utah, and Oregon State would be good but the bottom half of the league (Wazzu, Cal, Colorado) all showed up and looked good as well.
- Week 2 is a huge measuring stick week for the PAC 12.

SEC:
- Very underwhelming week for the best conference in college football.
- Week 2 provides some big matchups to help the SEC bounce back. Alabama/Texas, Texas A&M/Miami, Ole Miss/Tulane.

My impressions:

USC is soft on defense
FSU is solid and talented all over
tOSU sits a distant 3rd in the B1G
LSU wasn't ready to play FSU, but might do better in the future
Tennessee's defense is much better than last year
Clemson's QB is not very good
Florida looks broken
SCAR is missing some of the pieces from last year's team
We are going to be forced to listen to a bunch of shit from "Rado" until the oregon game.

Last edited:
A few thoughts on each conference

Big 12:
- I know it was Arkansas State but Oklahoma is going to be a problem this year.
- We may have overrated the depth of the Big 12. Not only did 3 double digit favorites lose but teams like Oklahoma State and BYU looked bad while beating overmatched opponents.
- Week 2 is a huge opportunity to bring respect back to the league.
Just going to comment on my conference.
- Agree on OU, I did not think they would look this good, I thought it would be more like last year's UTEP game.
- I felt TCU was going to take a step back and they were the first up to play an unknown team in CU - I did not think they would make the CCG this year anyway.
- As for depth, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, and UCF all did what they were supposed to do. WVU was the only team that was the underdog last week - and got TROUNCED - but I saw a lot to like moving forward in the season. I can't say what happened to Baylor, BYU, Houston, or TTU other than to chock it up to "anything can happen in week 1".
- Couldn't agree more on the opportunities. From a public perception standpoint, we need to go at least 4-4 with Illinois @ Kansas, Utah @ Baylor, Iowa @ Iowa State, Cincinnati @ pitt, Oregon @ Texas Tech, UCF @ Boise State, Oklahoma State @ Arizona State, and Texas @ Alabama - and win the rest.

My impressions:

USC is soft on defense
FSU is solid and talented all over
tOSU sits a distant 3rd in the B1G
LSU wasn't ready to play FSU, but might do better in the future
Tennessee's defense is much better than last year
Clemson's QB is not very good
Florida looks broken
SCAR is missing some of the pieces from last year's team
We are going to be forced to listen to a bunch of shit from "Rado" until the oregon game.
Actually we were missing some key players from this year's team:

Injury report

With last year's leading tackler Nick Emmanwori hurt on first play of the season opener, (hamstring, should return soon) Jalon Kilgore will shoulder a lot of those snaps at the safety position opposite DQ Smith. He played 63 snaps in the opener with 12 tackles and a quarterback hurry, as a true freshman.

EDGE JT Geer–a Syracuse transfer–was banged up in camp and missed the Gamecocks’ opener against North Carolina. Still doubtful.

Freshman offensive lineman Markee Anderson, who still hasn’t made his Gamecocks debut, was doubtful as well for Furman. South Carolina lists him currently as the backup guard behind Nick Gargiulo.

Spaulding played sparingly in the opener before exiting with injury. With Spaulding out, Keenan Nelson Jr. and Kajuan Banks split time at nickel. Nickel position gave up three TDs in the opener.

Juice Wells (last year's leading WR) is expected to give it a go Saturday. He only played a handful of snaps before having to be held out the rest of the game.

South Carolina will be without Cason Henry for at least a month after leaving Saturday’s game.

Linebacker Mo Kaba is out for the year after another season-ending knee injury suffered against North Carolina. Kaba tore an ACL in last year's opener.

Bam Martin-Scott and Connor Cox–who both missed the opener–should be available this weekend.

Actually we were missing some key players from this year's team:

Injury report

With last year's leading tackler Nick Emmanwori hurt on first play of the season opener, (hamstring, should return soon) Jalon Kilgore will shoulder a lot of those snaps at the safety position opposite DQ Smith. He played 63 snaps in the opener with 12 tackles and a quarterback hurry, as a true freshman.

EDGE JT Geer–a Syracuse transfer–was banged up in camp and missed the Gamecocks’ opener against North Carolina. Still doubtful.

Freshman offensive lineman Markee Anderson, who still hasn’t made his Gamecocks debut, was doubtful as well for Furman. South Carolina lists him currently as the backup guard behind Nick Gargiulo.

Spaulding played sparingly in the opener before exiting with injury. With Spaulding out, Keenan Nelson Jr. and Kajuan Banks split time at nickel. Nickel position gave up three TDs in the opener.

Juice Wells (last year's leading WR) is expected to give it a go Saturday. He only played a handful of snaps before having to be held out the rest of the game.

South Carolina will be without Cason Henry for at least a month after leaving Saturday’s game.

Linebacker Mo Kaba is out for the year after another season-ending knee injury suffered against North Carolina. Kaba tore an ACL in last year's opener.

Bam Martin-Scott and Connor Cox–who both missed the opener–should be available this weekend.
I always try to be careful when discussing SCAR not to set off the hen house. Looks like I failed miserably.

I always try to be careful when discussing SCAR not to set off the hen house. Looks like I failed miserably.

200w.gif