UFOs

Can you blame them? Vidalias are delicious!

Not as good as they used to be, though. I'm not sure why. Maybe from overgrowth affecting the soil somehow?

The different varieties are unusually sweet compared to other onions due to the low amount of sulfur in the soil in which Vidalia onions are grown.

Georgia's state legislature passed the "Vidalia Onion Act of 1986" which authorized a trademark for "Vidalia Onions" and limits the production area to the following counties of Georgia or certain subsets as defined by the state's Commissioner of Agriculture:

Since Georgia statutes have no legally-binding effect outside Georgia, producers and handlers of Vidalia onions, meeting the standards defined by Georgia law, requested, and the United States Department of Agriculture promulgated, a Federal Marketing Order which defined the production area as a matter of United States federal law.[1]

I live in Jeff Davis County.

Not as good as they used to be, though. I'm not sure why. Maybe from overgrowth affecting the soil somehow?

The different varieties are unusually sweet compared to other onions due to the low amount of sulfur in the soil in which Vidalia onions are grown.

Georgia's state legislature passed the "Vidalia Onion Act of 1986" which authorized a trademark for "Vidalia Onions" and limits the production area to the following counties of Georgia or certain subsets as defined by the state's Commissioner of Agriculture:

Since Georgia statutes have no legally-binding effect outside Georgia, producers and handlers of Vidalia onions, meeting the standards defined by Georgia law, requested, and the United States Department of Agriculture promulgated, a Federal Marketing Order which defined the production area as a matter of United States federal law.[1]

I live in Jeff Davis County.
Is this one of those things that people who grow them outside of where they actually thrive lobbied to be able to use the vidalia name in marketing, but in doing so harm the reputation of the real thing because they aren’t as good?

Is this one of those things that people who grow them outside of where they actually thrive lobbied to be able to use the vidalia name in marketing, but in doing so harm the reputation of the real thing because they aren’t as good?

It's actually more of a supply and demand thing. Originally, they were only grown in Toombs County. Over the years, the growing area had to spread due to increasing demand.
That said, I'm not arguing with your logic, only trying to add better understanding. You are most probably, right. I know that I can still tell a difference taste-wise between the ones that are grown here in my county, as compared to those grown in Montgomery and Toombs Counties.

Edited to add: Damn Aliens ruin everything.

wow - holy crap -
just saw a line of lights
at least 30 or 40 -
in a line movin toward the big dipper
and just vanishin -
anybody else see this ??
wth did i just see ??

wow - holy crap -
just saw a line of lights
at least 30 or 40 -
in a line movin toward the big dipper
and just vanishin -
anybody else see this ??
wth did i just see ??
I saw those last night moving to the southeast. One of the kids did some web surfing and found that they are satellites getting reprogrammed or something like that.

Funny how the same dudes that believe in UFOs also believe Corona is just the flu conspiracies. Funny how that works.