Week 3 PAC 12 Power Rankings/Preview

Duckboy33

1. Oregon - Ducks found themselves down 19-7 after turning the ball over 3 times in the first half vs. Wazzu. Oregon cleaned things up and went on to win 43-29 in Pullman. The Ducks offensive line continue to impress and Tyler Shough looks like he's getting more comfortable in the offense. The defense still gave up too many big plays but they were about to keep WSU out of the endzone a couple of times after turnovers. Oregon hosts former coach Chip Kelly and the Bruins on Saturday.

2. USC - For the 2nd week in a row, USC escaped against a team from Arizona. Slovis has a knack of getting USC in the endzone right when they need to. Can USC continue to live on the edge week after week? They travel to Salt Lake City to play Utah. Folks in Salt Lake City are optimistic that Utah will be able to play this week.

3. Washington - Washington survived some special teams disasters and beat Oregon State 27-21. The Huskies secondary looked elite and their offensive line dominated the game. They will need Freshmen QB Dylan Morris to make more plays as the season progresses. Washington plays Arizona on Saturday.

4. Utah - Utah still hasn't played this year. I have a lot of faith in Kyle Wittingham, which is why they are still ranked this high. I really hope we get to see USC vs. Utah on Saturday.

5. Colorado - The Buffs are the surprise team of the PAC 12 so far. Lots of folks mocked them after they hired Karl Dorrell but the Buffs are 2-0 with wins over UCLA and Stanford. In both games, Colorado got off to a big lead and their opponents made major comebacks, only to come up short. New QB Sam Noyer has been excellent for the Buffaloes. They were scheduled to play Arizona State on Saturday but that game has now been cancelled. If Utah is forced to cancel their game against USC, there are rumors that they would play Colorado/USC this Saturday.

6. UCLA - Things weren't looking good for Chip Kelly after the Bruins lost to Colorado in the opener but they bounced back with a dominating 34-10 win over California. The Bruins played extremely well on offense and defense. The Bruins will need to continue that type of play when they travel to Eugene this Saturday to play the Ducks.

7. Washington State - Despite getting off to a good start vs. Oregon, they were unable to keep up with the Ducks offense. I'm a huge fan of Washington State's true freshmen QB Jayden de Laura. He's going to be a player folks out west hear about for a while. Washington State plays Stanford this week.

8. Arizona State - Arizona State had their game vs. Cal cancelled and their game vs. Colorado this week is cancelled as well. We are all hoping ASU can return to play next week. Right now they are 0-1 after a 1 point loss to USC in their opener.

9. Stanford - Stanford fell to 0-2 after their comeback bid vs. Colorado came up short. The Cardinal weren't able to run the ball effectively like they did against Oregon. They face off against Washington State this week.

10. Arizona - Arizona surprised some folks by really challenging USC. They took the lead with under 2 minutes to go but came up short. Sophomore QB Grant Gunnell was as good as advertised. Arizona may be better than a few folks were expecting. Arizona plays Washington on Saturday.

11. Oregon State - The Beavs fell to 0-2 after a 27-21 loss to Washington. The Beavers were the victim of a bad spot that cost them a shot at taking the lead. That said, the Beavers big problem was that they couldn't establish a passing game against the Huskies. The Beavers play California on Saturday.

12. California - It's surprising for me to rank Cal this low but I was equally surprised at how bad they looked against UCLA. Their offense couldn't move the ball at all and their defense wasn't holding up much better. We will see if Cal can prove this game to be a fluke as they play Oregon State on Saturday.

Nicely done again. As for USC we are under performing again. We should be 0-2 or at the most 1-1.

At 2-0 the home boards are calling for Helton’s head as if the team is 0-2.

Nicely done again. As for USC we are under performing again. We should be 0-2 or at the most 1-1.

At 2-0 the home boards are calling for Helton’s head as if the team is 0-2.

It hasn't been pretty but 2-0 is still 2-0. I still think USC is the worst matchup for Oregon. Too many opt outs in the secondary has killed Oregon's depth on the back end.

It hasn't been pretty but 2-0 is still 2-0. I still think USC is the worst matchup for Oregon. Too many opt outs in the secondary has killed Oregon's depth on the back end.
Well if by some chance we make it to the conference championship game my fears are you guys will embarrass us again like last year.

This weekend games, if played as scheduled, should be interesting. I am definitely going to be watching your game with the bruins.

Last edited:
Well if by some chance we make it to the conference championship game my fears are you guys will embarrass again like last year.

This weekend games, if played as scheduled, should be interesting. I am definitely going to be watching your game with the bruins.

The outcome of the UCLA/Cal game was a bit of a surprise for me. UCLA had been pretty bad on defense throughout the CK era and Cal couldn't move the ball at all against them. I think UCLA will be able to score some points against Oregon but I think their defense is going to struggle with the Ducks

Game times are set

UCLA at #11 Oregon - 12:30 PST on ESPN2
California at Oregon State - 12:30 PST on FS1
Arizona at Washington - 5:00 PST on FOX
#20 USC at Utah - 7:30 PST on ESPN
Washington State at Stanford - 7:30 PST on FS1

Looks like UCLA and Washington State are going to be without their starting QBs this weekend