What is the first year you honestly remember CFB?

Irishblooded

Not when you were born or whatever. But the first year you honestly have memories of watching games, cheering for a team etc?

I have to admit for me it was 88.

I was 10. I got to go my first home game that year. It was the night game against Michigan. Ricky Watters had a monster special team's TD. And Reggie Ho. The kicker was the MVP. Had 4 FG. It was amazing.

I remember that year. Watching every game. Having family really start explaining how, what worked. I can remember watching everyone scream at the TV during the Miami game that year. And can still remember where I was sitting in the room when Tony Rice took off for over 50 yards for a TD tuck and run and Keith Jackson calling the play.

It was completely by luck I became a football fan that year. Living in the S Bend area and the magic that was the 88 season.

I was probably about 7-10 years old when three memories come to mind.

1. Riding into Rushville with a lady I didn’t really know, she tuned the radio into the Nebraska vs Oklahoma game and let it be known how important this game was...

2. Nebraska vs. Missouri again a radio game but Grandpa got tired of hearing me say Nebraska was going to win and said I bet you $1 Missouri wins ....... he won of course because he probably knew Missouri was ranked and the better team that year. I tried to play sad but he made me pay off my debt.....weird huh..

3. TV game finally..... I was at a furniture store in Chadron NE with my mom as she was looking for a bed or something.....luckily they had TVs and a college football game on ...it was USC vs. Notre Dame I watched til it was time to go.....pretty sure I was rooting for the Trojans because of their helmets.

OP I promise I’m not bringing this up because it involves ND. This is truly the first game I remember.

I was 11 years old for the kick off of the 1974 USC/ ND game. We were all at my grandmas house watching on tv because my parents (mom USC fan / Dad ND fan) were at the game.

I didn’t see the first half. I walked to the local mall by myself and returned at half time with everyone depressed because ND was killing us.

I sat down just as the second half kick off happened. The rest is history. Nobody would let me leave the room. They called me the good luck charm.

Last edited:
Of all of things I remember of that night game with Michigan this is the one that really sticks out.

ND was actually penalized and lost a TO because literally the crowd was too loud, and the refs penalized ND for it. When I tell people about this they call me nuts. But it really happened.

If you would like to watch the full game in shortened version here it is

Remember bits of 96 as UCLA played Tennessee. Guess my mom's childhood neighbor had been the strength & conditioning coach at UCLA then. Also remember Michigan beat Colorado too. 97 was the first year though that I followed as a 6 going on 7 year old. Part of why my top 3 are Michigan, Washington State, and Nebraska.

I have memories of my family watching silently and seriously as Miami came off their plane in military fatigues, shades (at night) and chains, looking mean, as opposed to Penn State in blazers with grandfatherly Joe Pa. There was no doubt in my young mind who the good guys were and the bad guys were.

I have memories of my family watching silently and seriously as Miami came off their plane in military fatigues, shades (at night) and chains, looking mean, as opposed to Penn State in blazers with grandfatherly Joe Pa. There was no doubt in my young mind who the good guys were and the bad guys were.
Guess that backfired on you huh?

1990 Penn St and Notre Dame and Tennessee and Notre Dame are two vivid games.

But 1991 is really the first season I remember falling in love with the game and retaining the week to week information.

LjgJ.gif