Where were you on 911

Bama Believer

18 and Counting! Roll Tide!!!
I had just gotten my job at Honda, they flew a bunch of us up to their plant in Canada on September 10th, the following morning while walking a tour of the plant, a lady came out and told us to come watch this on their computer in the office,
the rest of that day was very somber and surreal, when we got back to the hotel and turned the news on, I cried, in sadness, and anger.
Why does it take a tragedy to bring us together and make us feel the patriotism in our blood.
I'll never forget !!

Was in Melbourne, Fl. Woke up a tad late and feeling like crap anyway so I called in and the boss said, "What, you're not getting bombed? Say what? We're under attack."

Hung up, turned on the tv and just in time for the 2nd hit.

I remember sitting there for hours, not mad, cussing or anything. Just had this dark cold feeling thinking, time for some people to die. Need some payback.

I was at work, got home that afternoon and was reminded of the Challenger disaster which occurred when I was in 3rd Grade. Everything was replayed repeatedly, just like in 1986 and had John Madden showed up with a telestrator marker I wouldn't have been surprised.

Here are some tidbits related to September 11, 2001.

Seth McFarlane was supposed to be one of the victims of the attacks, but he missed his flight due to a hangover from the night before. While waiting at the airport for his backup flight, footage showed on the TV of the immediate aftermath of American 11, the plane Seth was supposed to be aboard impacting World Trade Center Tower 1.

Marky Mark Wahlberg canceled his American 11 flight at the last minute. Ditto for Leighann Litrell, wife of Backstreet Boys singer Brian Litrell.

Many of the flight victims of the attacks, be they staff or passengers wound up aboard their fateful flight last minute. Among those are Jeremy Glick who missed United 93 the previous day due to traffic and thus had to use today's flight. Another 93 victim was Mark Bingham who delayed his flight from the day before due to a hangover.

Delta 1989 suffered a comedy of misunderstandings that day as they were mistaken as a hijack in the midst of the chaos unfolding around them.

One of the top political items prior to that morning involved California US Representative Gary Condit and the disappearance of Chandra Levy. Levy's body would be found in 2002 and Condit would no longer be Representative in 2003.

The headline item that morning before history took over was Michael Jordan preparing for a return to the NBA. The Mountain Time Zone feed for NBC's Today started with the normal open with only a message at the bottom of the screen noting the attacks with the Jordan item taking center stage until United 75 hit World Trade Center Tower 2, forcing NBC to cut to the live footage from the Eastern Time Zone.

Michael Jackson, who had spent the past several days performing concerts at Madison Square Garden was scheduled to visit the World Trade Center that afternoon.

Jackie Chan was supposed to be atop WTC 1 that morning to shoot a scene for a film called Nosebleed whose plot revolved around the WTC itself. Instead he was in Toronto filming another movie as the Nosebleed script for the scene in question was late to arrive. Nosebleed was canceled after the attacks for obvious reasons. Chan desribed himself as being "like a walking corpse" after seeing the attacks on a TV on set.

New music albums dropped that day including Mariah Carey's Glitter soundtrack, Jay-Z's the Blueprint, and Nickelback's breakthrough Silver Side Up. The Latin Grammys, scheduled for that night were canceled.

Governor Jeb Bush of Florida was the first to declare a state of emergency as his brother, President George W. Bush was in there instead of the White House, visiting a school. It would at Emma E. Booker Elementary in Sarasota where Bush would make his first statement. Vice President Dick Cheney was at the White House. Cheney's wife, Lynne was getting her hair done and didn't allow the attacks to get in the way of that. Bush's wife, Laura was scheduled to speak at the Capitol about education, but that would be canceled in the wake of the attacks. Instead, Bush and Massachusetts US Senator Ted Kennedy offered a joint statement.

Ziad Jarrah was cited for speeding in Maryland 2 days earlier.

The night before the attacks, Mohamed Atta and Abdulaziz Alomari spent the night in Portland, Maine. They ate pizza and shopped at Walmart.

According to the FBI, a woman claiming to be Atta's wife showed up at a court in Broward County, Florida wanting to clear her alleged husband's driving record, having received a citation back in April.

Both the United States and Russia had military exercises going that morning. The US had pilots monitoring the Russians' exercise near the North Pole. Shortly after the attacks, Russia sent their pilots home, cancelling the exercise for the rest of the week.

Many channels suspended programming that day as the attacks unfolded, either breaking in with news coverage or simply plugging in reporting from a sister channel. MTV broadcast CBS's coverage. Children's networks and the Weather Channel continued as normal.

Osama bin Laden initially denied involvement in the attacks.

A flight from Frankfurt, Germany to Chicago, Illinois may have been linked to the attacks. As they unfolded the flight in question was diverted to Toronto and it would be there where passenger Nageed Abdul Jabar Mohamed al-Hadi would be detained after Customs officers checked his baggage, finding pilot uniforms, forged passports, and a cryptic message. In 2002 he'll be convicted on forgery charges. Nageeb was connected to Nabil al-Marabh.

The attacks caused the abortion of a major TV event scheduled for May 2002 on NBC involving a crossover called Terror, set in the Law & Order universe including all 3 shows airing at the time.

Liz Lange was hosting her first fashion runway event for maternity wear in New York City at the time of the attacks. They found out as the show was ending what had occurred with reporters rushing out during the presentation. Prior to the attacks, members of the press had been there as it was part of New York's Fashion Week and Liz had been interviewed on TV right before American 11 hit WTC1.

This was Ben Sliney's first day as FAA National Operations Manager.

Perhaps I'll share other tidbits later, but I think I've flooded y'all enough for now.

VIPPrimo at YouTube put together this real time montage including simulations of American 11, United 75, American 77, and United 93 along with media footage.

I was at work, on a secure US Army installation. Security went from tight to damn near lockdown. I took the rest of the day off, along with the next few days. I actually went to the local US Navy recruiters office, gave them my retired ID card and told them to put me back in. The recruiter sent me away snd said you’ve done you’re time and thank you, but go home. Wasn’t sure what to say or how to take that. Spent most of the next week glued to the tv.

My ex and I had just split the week before so I had moved back into my pop's place for a couple of weeks while I worked on getting a new place. Was running a pizza place at the time had closed the restaurant the night before and went out drinking pretty late. Came home fell asleep on the couch (really shouldn't have even been driving that night.)

Woke up to the news talking about it, about 8 or so that morning. Watched until about noon or so. Then got cleaned up, put myself together. Went down to the blood bank, donated blood, called my pastor to ask if there was anything I could do to help. Stopped by there prayed as a group. Then had to head into the restaurant that afternoon. My future wife was working there that day as well. We weren't dating yet or anything, just knew one another. We sat and talked together and I let her leave early to go be with her family. Every order I rang up that night I gave 20% off. It wasn't much, but it was one little thing I could do, for the families that I interacted with that night.

For as terrible as that day was, for as awful an event as we all remember it to. I can't believe how proud I was of our country and our fellows in the days and weeks after it. I have never seen so many of us so united to help one another. After the attacks and before the counter attack America was the place we all learned about from our fathers and grand fathers. I really wish our generation could bring that sense of community back again. Our country, and the rest of our world could use that about now.

I was working for DuPont, in the local nylon plant, and was in the server room imaging a bunch of machines. I pulled up the web browser on the machine we kept on the end of the bench to download drivers, and surf the web with when we were bored. First thing I saw was the story on the first plane hit. I just remember thinking "This cant be right" so I went to a national news site and pulled up a live broadcast and then they showed the second plane hitting live. I remember just sitting there stunned and not really knowing what to think since we did not have the info yet on who had done this etc.

I went back to my office, and my boss walked in and said "Hey, we just got a TV going up at the front of the plant, if you want to watch the news on this mess going on." I just mumbled "Sure" and got up, walked to the front and a group of folks were staring at the TV in disbelief. The rest of the day was extremely surreal, and I remember thinking Bush better do something about this, or it will happen again and again.

I was probably 3-4 weeks in to my first year teaching. Didnt really know anything about the first plane, assumed it was some really horrible accident. I was in the the teacher break room on my plan period watching the coverage and witnessed the second plane on live TV. I was in such utter shock that I couldnt process what was happening and the thought of it being planned didnt even cross my mind :(

I went back to class and spent the rest of the day trying to comfort and reassure my Freshman students when I had no clue or experience on how to. I was on this roller coaster of fear, anger and sadness but had to do my best to hold it together.

The bright spot of the day was football practice with my middle school boys. The head coach talked a little about what happened earlier that day, we said a team prayer and for the next hour and a half had some relief from the day. I mustve hugged everyone of my boys that day

I hadnt felt that way since the OKC Bombing, the mention of either still immediately brings me to anger and sadness

9/11 does have a remarkable story and it's about Doug Goodwin who had played for the Buffalo Bills during their AFL days.

Goodwin was in need of a heart transplant in 2001, but didn't have the funding. Some funds were raised, including by another famous former Bill, Jack Kemp that would allow him to finally get the transplant that he needed. A heart finally became available and his surgery was scheduled in New York City on September 11.

The journey of that heart to Goodwin's body is quite the odyssey. It was in the last vehicle allowed across one of the bridges into the city that morning and while the travesty of the attacks was happening, doctors got the heart and successfully transplanted it into Doug's body.

Doug has mentioned in interviews since that when he woke up the next day, it was the best he had felt in years. Then he looked at the news coverage on the TV and thought it was a Godzilla movie. That's when he found out about what had happened across town while he was in surgery.

Only shown once and then again on the 10th anniversary...

On the 19th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terror attacks, a poignant old Budweiser commercial paying tribute to the victims has been resurfaced. But not by the company, Anheuser-Busch, which aired the ad just once.

The emotional ad — which aired months after the national tragedy, during the 2002 Super Bowl that February — showed the Budweiser Clydesdales leaving their Missouri stable and making the trek to New York City. Passing by iconic cityscapes, including the Brooklyn Bridge, the horses stop in Battery Park, amid the changed city skyline, to bow as the Statue of Liberty stood tall in the background.

There were no words, just somber music, for the ad, title “Clydesdale Respect.” And the company’s logo didn’t appear until the very end.

Anheuser-Busch didn’t immediately respond to Yahoo Entertainment’s request for comment, but the company’s creative team has said a lot of hoops were jumped through to make the ad just two months after the attacks when the city was still on edge. It required approval from many at that unprecedented time, including members of Congress, the ad community and then-NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

"We filmed in New York City,” Bob Lachky, the former executive vice president of AB Global Creative, said in 2014. “We had a helicopter going over the Brooklyn Bridge. Mayor Giuliani let us into the city. The only film company of any sort right after 9/11 to actually come into air space with our helicopter to film the Clydesdales, the hitch coming into Battery Park and it was amazing ... just amazing.”

He recalled the NYPD being “very, very nervous about everything that was going on in the city at that time.”

As for the horses bowing, the GM of Clydesdale operations Jeff Knapper said, “That was not trick TV. They were trained to do that. The horses spent 45 days with our trainer.”

An Anheuser-Busch spokesperson told Snopes in 2007 that while the commercial aired just once — and remained up for a year on the company’s website in tribute — they received a “positive response” to it for a long time after. “Anheuser-Busch is proud to be an American beer company and we wanted to express ourselves in respectfully honoring those affected by the events of September 11th. We are pleased that the Budweiser Clydesdales were able to deliver our sentiments in a way that has resonated with many Americans.”

On the 10th anniversary of 9/11, in 2011, the company released an updated version of the commercial. At the end of that version, there was a black screen with the words, “We’ll never forget.”