Conference Realignment?

And just like that, FSU has started the process for leaving the ACC.

From the business side I honestly don't get this.

And the reason I say that is that FSU said they absolutely bled money through the Covid years and were way behind on athletic budgets. And then to have to potentially raise 100 mil plus to leave if this goes the wrong way.

I get there is greener grass out there. But they are already over their hip huggers in shit trying to get to it.

And the reason I say that is that FSU said they absolutely bled money through the Covid years and were way behind on athletic budgets. And then to have to potentially raise 100 mil plus to leave if this goes the wrong way.

I get there is greener grass out there. But they are already over their hip huggers in shit trying to get to it.
They did not give notice, therefore, they could always stay in the conference if they lose their court case. It looks bad, but it could still happen... They do not have to give official notice until August 2024 to get out on July 1, 2025.

My question is how large can a conference reasonably be. I know that WAY back in the day, that was one of the issues with the Southern Conference - I think at it's peak it was 23 teams, before the SEC and ACC spawned off. I think this is a problem, especially if the conferences continue down the path of being divisonless.

If FSU goes to the B1G, which I think is their goal (based on some of their actions, including buying 2 aircraft for transporting their teams) they would be the 19th member. Assuming they add one more from the ACC to get to 20, would the SEC take on 6 ACC schools to match their size? If that happens, I know that the XII would take 4 more to play the numbers game. I just don't know if I think 20 institution conferences is really sustainable in the long term.

At some point it becomes a math problem. How much is it going to cost FSU to leave the ACC? That is the unknown variable. I'm guessing it will end up being around 250M but nobody really knows. Once they know that number, they will look at the projected revenue from the Big Ten or SEC and see if the projected revenue difference is greater than the ACC exist cost. 250M seems steep but how much will FSU lose out on if they stay in the ACC until 2036? At some point, they can't afford to stay in the ACC.

Again.

Bring up what Chip Kelly said.

It is time that CFB left the current conference system.

Take the top X amount of teams and make a new D1 FBS with them. And remove the conference system as it is. Create new Pods and divisions Ala NFL and let the money loss sports like softball and Olympic sports stay in their current conferences. What Oregon track star wants to fly on a Tuesday night in March to Rutgers for an after meet.

I know not every school can make it as an Indy like ND does. But, divisions can be set up with better profit shares and rework of the NIL system to make all the top 80 or so team plenty profitable for it

Again.

Bring up what Chip Kelly said.

It is time that CFB left the current conference system.

Take the top X amount of teams and make a new D1 FBS with them. And remove the conference system as it is. Create new Pods and divisions Ala NFL and let the money loss sports like softball and Olympic sports stay in their current conferences. What Oregon track star wants to fly on a Tuesday night in March to Rutgers for an after meet.

I know not every school can make it as an Indy like ND does. But, divisions can be set up with better profit shares and rework of the NIL system to make all the top 80 or so team plenty profitable for it

That's probably going to be what the system will look like eventually but I don't think we are there yet.

Quick Update:

- The Big Ten is the betting favorite to land Florida State if/when they get out of their ACC GOR. The SEC is not super interested at the moment. Could that change if/when FSU is available? That's something to watch.
- Clemson is working very aggressively behind the scenes to get out of the ACC. They're not as public about it as FSU but they're not far behind them in this process.
- The SEC views UNC as the Golden Goose. Adding the state of Virginia and North Carolina would be the goal of the SEC. UVA/VT are viewed as a pair, however. That complicates things unless the SEC plans on taking all of them. I don't see how they could justify that value wise.

The ACC is on very shaky ground

Quick Update:

- The Big Ten is the betting favorite to land Florida State if/when they get out of their ACC GOR. The SEC is not super interested at the moment. Could that change if/when FSU is available? That's something to watch.
- Clemson is working very aggressively behind the scenes to get out of the ACC. They're not as public about it as FSU but they're not far behind them in this process.
- The SEC views UNC as the Golden Goose. Adding the state of Virginia and North Carolina would be the goal of the SEC. UVA/VT are viewed as a pair, however. That complicates things unless the SEC plans on taking all of them. I don't see how they could justify that value wise.

I've always liked VT to the SEC. Seems like a solid fit based on the fan/fanatic base. I'm not so much of a fan of UNC to the SEC because UGA has been VERY successful recruiting North Carolina with the "Come play in the SEC" pitch. Just 2 names of many........Todd Gurley and Jordon Davis.

Quick Update:

Miami FL is also on the Big Ten's radar. FOX likes Miami FL.

Florida State Preferred Adding Oregon State to Cal, Stanford, per Filing Against ACC

osu4.jpg

Florida State Preferred Adding Oregon State to Cal, Stanford, per Filing Against ACC

osu4.jpg

Florida State is just throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks. They wouldn't be staying in the ACC if the ACC added OSU/WSU instead of Stanford/Cal. That's laughable IMO

Quick update from the PAC 2:

- I'm hearing OSU and WSU are monitoring the ACC situation. They're obviously hoping the ACC will lose schools and add OSU and WSU and form a western branch. The plan now is to stall as independents and wait for this to happen.
- I'm also hearing that OSU and WSU have no intention in joining the MWC. If they aren't invited into the ACC, they plan on adding some combination of MWC/AAC schools to form an 8 team conference under the PAC banner.

Quick update from the PAC 2:

- I'm hearing OSU and WSU are monitoring the ACC situation. They're obviously hoping the ACC will lose schools and add OSU and WSU and form a western branch. The plan now is to stall as independents and wait for this to happen.
- I'm also hearing that OSU and WSU have no intention in joining the MWC. If they aren't invited into the ACC, they plan on adding some combination of MWC/AAC schools to form an 8 team conference under the PAC banner.
Both need to fire their presidents

Been thinking about this. If FSU gets out of the ACC and let's say Clemson, UNC, NC State, VTech and UVA go as well. (Which would probably move the B1G to 20 and SEC to 18). Where would this conference land compared to the BigXII, AAC, MWC, CUSA, SBC (dropped some schools that would probably be valuable to the XII for their basketball)?
West: Cal, Oregon State, SDSU, SMU, Stanford, Washington State
East: Boston College, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Miami, Pitt, Syracuse

Been thinking about this. If FSU gets out of the ACC and let's say Clemson, UNC, NC State, VTech and UVA go as well. (Which would probably move the B1G to 20 and SEC to 18). Where would this conference land compared to the BigXII, AAC, MWC, CUSA, SBC (dropped some schools that would probably be valuable to the XII for their basketball)?
West: Cal, Oregon State, SDSU, SMU, Stanford, Washington State
East: Boston College, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Miami, Pitt, Syracuse
1705636252865.jpeg