Beirut

Lebanon's National News Agency reported the cause may have been a fire in a hangar where explosives were being stored in the Beirut port, on the country's west coast.

Beirut. Touchy subject for me. October 23rd, 1983, 220 Marines from 1st Battalion, 8th Marines died. I was a senior in High School. One of the guys that survived was an older brother of one of my friends. My little hometown was on pins and needles for 2 weeks before we found out that he had survived the blast. Probably the main reason I joined the USMC along with 9 other guys I graduated with. We were pissed as we considered it an attack on us.

Less than 2 years later, I was aboard the USS Austin off the coast of Beirut as a member of 3rd Battalion, 8th Marines. All we wanted to do was go in and kill every member of Hezzbollah, with VENGEANCE.

Don’t know if nationally this has caught anyone’s attention, but it’s been local news. They are all kids serving their country. May they Rest In Peace. Heartbreaking.

Don’t know if nationally this has caught anyone’s attention, but it’s been local news. They are all kids serving their country. May they Rest In Peace. Heartbreaking.

Those AAVs were in service during my time in the Corps. I was talking to one of my old friends yesterday about the time we rode on those deathtraps. We have funding for advanced equipment for every service but the USMC. It's always been that way. Semper Fi, brothers, and RIP.

Beirut. Touchy subject for me. October 23rd, 1983, 220 Marines from 1st Battalion, 8th Marines died. I was a senior in High School. One of the guys that survived was an older brother of one of my friends. My little hometown was on pins and needles for 2 weeks before we found out that he had survived the blast. Probably the main reason I joined the USMC along with 9 other guys I graduated with. We were pissed as we considered it an attack on us.

Less than 2 years later, I was aboard the USS Austin off the coast of Beirut as a member of 3rd Battalion, 8th Marines. All we wanted to do was go in and kill every member of Hezzbollah, with VENGEANCE.
With extreme prejudice is one term I believe. Beirut USS Cole Benghazi-burn it to the ground. I'm not a warmonger even tho I can come off that way. It's just you mess with our blood, wherever they are, my opinion is that it should be a very regrettable action on their part.

The satellite images in this article of the before and after the blast are telling how powerful it was.

bW8SbrLuMxhSckW2JChrZEqqMCQzKuhC1Vb5csJbLnHRuPyqEliKIc5P73ofqAKLP-qL27ux558-96QPRB2o2qzbxwlBApxM2vnR0ikH8AZIgKyaQ7gG4OeWJEs

CorruptGorgeousBackswimmer-size_restricted.gif

d0c10cf295b5417ea81a19e44c03aa4d_18.jpg

870d0adaacf246d5a4ed5c0611b64104_8.jpg

5f2a71e2de845.image.jpg

tenor.gif

My buddy lives there and that explosion is near a confiscated supply of ammonia nitrate that was seized from Hezbollah by the Germans and stored at the port in Beirut for 7-8 years now.

This doesn't seem accidental. This was the largest port in the ME portion of the Mediterranean and now, the port is in shambles.

He's not quite convinced there weren't "things" behind it either.

He is okay but his uncle was badly hurt by it and his home is gone

My buddy lives there and that explosion is near a confiscated supply of ammonia nitrate that was seized from Hezbollah by the Germans and stored at the port in Beirut for 7-8 years now.

This doesn't seem accidental. This was the largest port in the ME portion of the Mediterranean and now, the port is in shambles.

I understand blowing up a major port might be fun for avterrorist, but can anyone tell me the strategic value of dealing Lebanon a blow like this?

Does he have theories?