CFP Considers Expansion

Duckboy33

ESPN Article

Articles says the committee has explored expanding the CFP. Options included 6, 8, 10, 12 and 16 teams.

2 questions for the board:

1) Should the CFP expand?

2) If so, how many teams should be included in the new playoff?

An actual NCAA Tournament with all Conference Champions and some at-larges to fill out the rest is preferred.

I would prefer this but I don't think they are going to include a G5 champ in the CFP.

Probably not, but they should. I honestly think it would allow CFB to get away from the "haves" always getting the top recruits. 18 year olds want to go somewhere where they "have a chance" at winning a championship. Give that 5-star guy from Asheville, NC a belief that he can still get that big ring if he goes to AppSt, a team he grew up being a fan of, and he might choose them instead of UNC. Give that 5-star guy who grew up going to multiple Boise State games every year because his alumni parents are season ticket holders a reason to stay at home rather than find a school where he can get the most exposure for his CFB career with a team that might have a chance for that big ring because he can get that staying at home.

That's not a number. Which number do you prefer?

It would have to be 16 if you wanted to include all FBS Champions. I don't think they would do 12 and only have two at larges.

Here's what a a 16 team playoff would look have looked like the last 2 seasons:

2020:
1) Alabama - SEC Champion
16) Ball State - MAC Champion

8) Cincinnati - AAC Champion
9) Georgia - At Large #4

4) Notre Dame - At Large #1
13) San Jose State - MWC Champion

5) Texas A&M - At Large #2
12) Coastal Carolina - Sun Belt Champion

6) Oklahoma - Big 12 Champion
11) Indiana - At Large #6

3) Ohio State - Big Ten Champion
14) Oregon - PAC 12 Champion

7) Florida - At Large #3
10) Iowa State - At Large #5

2) Clemson - ACC Champion
15) UAB - CUSA Champion

2019:
1) LSU - SEC Champion
16) Miami OH - MAC Champion

8) Wisconsin - At Large #3
9) Florida - At Large #4

4) Oklahoma - Big 12 Champion
13) Boise State - MWC Champion

5) Georgia - At Large #1
12) Memphis - AAC Champion

6) Oregon - PAC 12 Champion
11) Utah - At Large #6

3) Clemson - ACC Champion
14) Appalachian State - Sun Belt Champion

7) Baylor - At Large #2
10) Penn State - At Large #5

2) Ohio State - Big Ten Champion
15) Florida Atlantic - CUSA Champion

If we had a 12 team playoff with 10 autobids for 2019 and 2020:

2020:

Top 4 Byes:
1) Alabama Plays 8/9 Winner
2) Clemson Plays 7/10 Winner
3) Ohio State Plays 6/11 Winner
4) Notre Dame Plays 5/12 Winner

5) Texas A&M
12) Ball State

6) Oklahoma
11) UAB

7) Cincinnati
10) Oregon

8) Coastal Carolina
9) San Jose State

2019:
1) LSU Plays 8/9 Winner
2) Ohio State Plays 7/10 Winner
3) Clemson Plays 6/11 Winner
4) Oklahoma Plays 5/12 Winner

5) Georgia
12) Miami OH

6) Oregon
11) Florida Atlantic

7) Baylor
10) Appalachian State

8) Memphis
9) Boise State

How about 20.😁
The first 12 are conf champs by their relative rankings. They all get a bye. 8 at large play in for the final four of a 16 team championship run.

This way the bottom four (at larges with likely higher rankings than teams above them) play the top four highest ranked teams, and a more competitive game emerges (no David vs Goliath games).

The next four (likely lowest ranked and very probable a smaller conference) 12, 11, 10, 9 get to play 5, 6, 7, 8 . This ensures that four of eight weakest conferences go at least 1-1 in the championship tournament. That should help lower conferences with championship hopes and recruiting.

Another thought for the "less is more" crowd. Perhaps pick 4, 6, or 8 and do a baseball type round robin series. Two losses your out. Until winner emerges.

I have never like the idea of a bye. Every team involved should have to play an equal amount of games. If you are that good, it shouldn't matter. Making others play an extra game risking injuries makes a bye an unfair advantage.
The “bye” makes the regular season mean more. Teams will fight for that bye. The difference between 11-1, and 12-0 would be huge and would reward the team for going undefeated with the bye. Just my opinion.

I like eight and think there is a practical side for advocating that number. All P-5 champs get in along with three at large and that still gives the powers that be, the AP/UPI/Coaches, some say as well. Seed the first round and give the higher seed a home game. The final four could then play as we do now and the losers of the first round can go to a traditional bowl, ensuring an equal number of practices as everyone else.