Christopher Lane Foote. The best inside joke?

for 16-team conferences,
would have to go to 11 conf games,
playin 7 divisional games
and rotatin the non-div 4 n 4 -
My view would be to prioritize games, obviously, within conference. But not exclusively as you are recommending. Instead of eleven, make it seven. All divisional, with the option for four cross-division, still equals eleven. So I guess we're on the same page, here. So, what do you think? Deal or no deal? It would still allow for one non-cinference opponent. All assets would be shared among conference members. Lest you think that's a bad idea, it's the trend as far as conferences go.

My view would be to prioritize games, obviously, within conference. But not exclusively as you are recommending. Instead of eleven, make it seven. All divisional, with the option for four cross-division, still equals eleven. So I guess we're on the same page, here. So, what do you think? Deal or no deal? It would still allow for one non-cinference opponent. All assets would be shared among conference members. Lest you think that's a bad idea, it's the trend as far as conferences go.
we can look at the old B12 as a model,
when they still had twelve teams -
5 divisional games
and rotatin 3 n 3 -
we should agree
thats a fair compromise
bet/ a round robin
and a mega-conference,
and should apply this same factor
to the 16-team conferences -
of course, we could also consider
goin back to 10 or 12 team conferences,
strengthenin rivalries
instead of dilutin 'em -

we can look at the old B12 as a model,
when they still had twelve teams -
5 divisional games
and rotatin 3 n 3 -
we should agree
thats a fair compromise
bet/ a round robin
and a mega-conference,
and should apply this same factor
to the 16-team conferences -
of course, we could also consider
goin back to 10 or 12 team conferences,
strengthenin rivalries
instead of dilutin 'em -
If anything I've said makes any sense there might be other options to consider. I know when the WAC experimented with it, it lead to teams abandoning the conference to set up what effectively we're divisional tie-ins.
I never participated in in intercollegiate athletics. I seem to think the fewer teams included to the dance the better it is for everyone. I think the sixteen team model is the appropriate one for a championship. Meaning eleven conference games. F. W. I.W. and I think that's the appropriate way

If anything I've said makes any sense there might be other options to consider. I know when the WAC experimented with it, it lead to teams abandoning the conference to set up what effectively we're divisional tie-ins.
I never participated in in intercollegiate athletics. I seem to think the fewer teams included to the dance the better it is for everyone. I think the sixteen team model is the appropriate one for a championship. Meaning eleven conference games. F. W. I.W. and I think that's the appropriate way
six 21-team conferences
would also work -
rotate 10 n 10,
plus a few non-conf
and/or regular conf foes -

six 21-team conferences
would also work -
rotate 10 n 10,
plus a few non-conf
and/or regular conf foes -
I'm thinking progressive. I know we can expand beyond sixteen but I think sixteen is fair. Like I said it admits everyone. I want everyone to be represented. I don't want to expand beyond eight. CFP can accommodate eight teams fairly judiciously.
It might surprise a few people to learn at least some of the pairings are already in place. The Arizona Bowl pairing San Jose St. against Ball State might have been a QF. Meaning Ball State might be in a Final Four.
Along with (obviously) Alabama, Clemson and Ohio St. Clemson advancing, obviously.
Pretty cool stuff if you ask me.

See folks, this is called irony. ^^^^^^

That's our word for the day... be sure and use it in a sentence.
I think I've given sufficient basis for selecting a legitimate champion. If nothing else I've ventured down the path that leads to one. We shouldn't have to guess about which team merits a national championship. I've probably done as much as anyone can. The IRONY is that nobody cares enough to listen.

I think I've given sufficient basis for selecting a legitimate champion. If nothing else I've ventured down the path that leads to one. We shouldn't have to guess about which team merits a national championship. I've probably done as much as anyone can. The IRONY is that nobody cares enough to listen.

AgedWarpedIndri-size_restricted.gif

Just suggesting for once people follow their own intuition. I frankly don't care all that much. But if the argument is sans playoff no particular way to settle the debate. I'm saying there is. And it's based on fair decisive and thorough evidence to the contrary. Yes, there are methods that work.
No it doesn't require a protracted regular season or a championship format to work.
Meaning, less is decidedly more. To the extent that event talking about more teams makes me mad. More teams to what end?
So eventually everyone gets a prize? W/E.
Go ahead and ruin it. Yeah, everyone Loves the FCS. That's why teams leave to the FBS.

Just suggesting for once people follow their own intuition. I frankly don't care all that much. But if the argument is sans playoff no particular way to settle the debate. I'm saying there is. And it's based on fair decisive and thorough evidence to the contrary. Yes, there are methods that work.
No it doesn't require a protracted regular season or a championship format to work.
Meaning, less is decidedly more. To the extent that event talking about more teams makes me mad. More teams to what end?
So eventually everyone gets a prize? W/E.
Go ahead and ruin it. Yeah, everyone Loves the FCS. That's why teams leave to the FBS.

The first problem with your argument is assuming I want to ruin it. Do I think the current system is perfect? Or even good? Not necessarily.

BUT this diatribe you spout with walls of text, with just what ifs, and if this had blah blah, and since so and so did <insert bland data point here> at this time, nonsense is bullshit. You never, EVER give an actual formula, or plan with predetermined weights and measures that are consistent and standard.

If you truly had any kind of algorithm you would be able to post it and not even have to use ANY team for an example. Period. BYU has nothing to do with this. No team does ... it has to be an actual document-able, repeatable method that can be populated with any teams and will eventually produce a single winner based on fair play across the board.

If you reply to this with another wall of text, you will only prove my point that all of your diatribe is bullshit.

tenor.gif

The first problem with your argument is assuming I want to ruin it. Do I think the current system is perfect? Or even good? Not necessarily.

BUT this diatribe you spout with walls of text, with just what ifs, and if this had blah blah, and since so and so did <insert bland data point here> at this time, nonsense is bullshit. You never, EVER give an actual formula, or plan with predetermined weights and measures that are consistent and standard.

If you truly had any kind of algorithm you would be able to post it and not even have to use ANY team for an example. Period. BYU has nothing to do with this. No team does ... it has to be an actual document-able, repeatable method that can be populated with any teams and will eventually produce a single winner based on fair play across the board.

If you reply to this with another wall of text, you will only prove my point that all of your diatribe is bullshit.

tenor.gif
How much simpler can it be than to say one team claims a championship? Your other point is equally ridiculous since I never said I invented any part of it. You want an algorithm? THAT I can supply. But you would likely tear it down for some stupid reason as not 'befiitting' something stupid.

As far as Brigham Young, I think I've said countless times I NEVER WENT THERE. I have zero allegiance and zero duty to them. What I DID say was they play fairly. IN my humble opinion. But it has NOTHING to do with me, yet again. Please tell me you aren't so stupid not to know the difference?

Yes I can matriculate a national champion. So? You are going to give me a medal? No. No I didn't invent anything substantial. Just for the record, I never claimed to do anything other than maybe promote a methodology. One that seems to work pretty darn well.
As to whether or not a team could challenge for a championship I outlined that, too.

Even setting the terms through which it's measured against, to the Nth degree! No, this isn't about ME. It never was. That's the irony. Who merited a NC in 2020? Alabama.
Hmm, that's surprising. No mention of BYU.
Maybe, just maybe I know the FUCK what I'm talking about? No, that would require you to admit maybe I know something you don't. No, that's impossible. Right? That a person other than yourself might have s fucking clue about something substantial?

How much simpler can it be than to say one team claims a championship? Your other point is equally ridiculous since I never said I invented any part of it. You want an algorithm? THAT I can supply. But you would likely tear it down for some stupid reason as not 'befiitting' something stupid.

As far as Brigham Young, I think I've said countless times I NEVER WENT THERE. I have zero allegiance and zero duty to them. What I DID say was they play fairly. IN my humble opinion. But it has NOTHING to do with me, yet again. Please tell me you aren't so stupid not to know the difference?

Yes I can matriculate a national champion. So? You are going to give me a medal? No. No I didn't invent anything substantial. Just for the record, I never claimed to do anything other than maybe promote a methodology. One that seems to work pretty darn well.
As to whether or not a team could challenge for a championship I outlined that, too.

Even setting the terms through which it's measured against, to the Nth degree! No, this isn't about ME. It never was. That's the irony. Who merited a NC in 2020? Alabama.
Maybe, just maybe I know the FUCK what I'm talking about? No, that would require you to admit maybe I know something you don't. No, that's impossible. Right? That a person other than yourself might have s fucking clue about something substantial?

tenor.gif

Yeah, probably so. But there are other possibilities to consider even if the prospect of a sixteen team conferences seems too unwieldy, I think it would be a better way to select a representative. The WAC experimented with it from 1995-97.
It eventually split into two divisions. Of eight.
The WAC and the MWC. But I like the idea of a sixteen team conference. Maybe I'm alone.
The problem with 16 team conferences is that they’re only useful for football. Even if it was limited to athletics, some conferences value basketball very much, while others value baseball the same. Some play hockey, others don’t. Track, swimming, lacrosse, they’re either valued or an afterthought.

Notre Dame is in a good location as far as having options on who to affiliate with, but if the ACC didn’t allow them a partial schedule, and the B1G didn’t let them in for hockey only, they’d be making some hard choices considering the ACC lets them compete as conference members in all sports other than football. And ND has money and influence that allows them perks others just don’t get.

Hey Chris I see that you're back to your old self.

The belt is confusing the piss out of me. Maybe I should strangle myself with it.
View attachment 5479
Is it? I think I did at least an adequate job explaining it. You don't have to agree with it. But it makes life considerably easier. Another way to outline it, and this shouldn't confuse anyone, would be to include every title winner (CFP pairings, mostly) as participants in the following year's NC.

It makes things easier, because now instead of trying to guess who might legitimately contend, we can prioritize teams. This year that might include Alabama (obviously) but also Ohio State and Clemson, since two losses eliminate, and neither lost twice. (Making them eligible for this year's NC).

It would (obviously) include Texas A&M. Therefore, their having beaten N. Carolina serves as an elimination game. Now, Texas A&M can legitimately be considered. I think that might be all the primary participants.

Four teams, but I like to cover my ass, so let's include Oklahoma, Iowa, Mississippi and Georgia to cover all bets. Eight teams.

By seasons end that should easily be whittled to four teams or less. Making it easier to select deserving teams to the N.C.

The problem with 16 team conferences is that they’re only useful for football. Even if it was limited to athletics, some conferences value basketball very much, while others value baseball the same. Some play hockey, others don’t. Track, swimming, lacrosse, they’re either valued or an afterthought.

Notre Dame is in a good location as far as having options on who to affiliate with, but if the ACC didn’t allow them a partial schedule, and the B1G didn’t let them in for hockey only, they’d be making some hard choices considering the ACC lets them compete as conference members in all sports other than football. And ND has money and influence that allows them perks others just don’t get.
Assuming you are limiting your argument to hockey that's a ridiculous point given that most programs aren't involved. Making it somewhat redundant as far as it being impractical. It's impractical anyway!
The other sports would fall in line. I don't think anyone would lose money by joining an established conference.
As far as sixteen teams that is approaching a measure to which few might meet the requirements. Making it imperative the right teams are selected. I did my part.
I'm going getting tired of this discussion. I've done the homework. I guess if individual institutions are opposed that's one thung.
But don't tell me it's impractical. Hockey?
Really. Maybe it will make it possible to include hockey teams elsewhere. Why us it with you people glass half fucking empty?

It isn't bullshit. Remember when you asked me to detail how Brigham Young merited a National Championship? It's relatively simple. In fact it's about as simple as simple gets. Admittedly they were deficient. I've admitted that, making it essential to include Iowa. Michigan, interestingly is the primary, but not only reason BYU advances a Belt NC
U.C L A. properly merits distinction. Fairly, IMO. But honestly, without Brigham Young, particularly in 1984 but following it, would be impossible to select a deserving national champion. Why? Easy. comparative data.
To whom did BYU surrender the Belt? U.C.L.A. To whom did U.C.L.A. surrender it?
Washington. To whom did Washington surrender it? Oregon St. By the way, these were games in which people celebrated the outcome. The Oregon St game is mentioned among the greatest upsets ever! And it seems at least possible it was due to the Belt. Although admittedly I can't be certain.
In 1985 a contributing factor to the national championship was a win by Penn State over Alabama, 6-3. I'm fairly certain that game was spotlit Obviously the national title was. Making the Belt (retroactively applied) a measure of which the BCS is selected.
Ultimately it came down to Brigham Young bearing Air Force. Otherwise it's AFA vs. PSU. Meaning a win over AFA necessitated St some point a national championship.
Meaning Brigham Young covered their ass.
Meaning post-NC a team like BYU must represent. That's fairly self-explanatory.
But the basis fir Brigham Young's titie claim is actually much more simple than that
Penn State obviously precluded Oklahoma's claim to the Belt (retroactively applied).
Meaning taking Penn State and applying a mesure of the Belt against the NC necessarily lands on Pittsburgh. Final game.
Pittsburgh annhilated Penn St. Pittsburgh's last loss was to Syracuse. Syracuse's last loss was to Boston College. Boston College (Doug Flute) defeated Houston. Cotton Bowl. Brigham Young played B C. Following year. The NC, retroactively applied (Belt) therefore fell into BYU's hands. In 1985

BYU FAILED to unite it. It actually wasn't fully united until AFTER Alabama defeated USC.
Meaning the Belt (CFP NC) was played in HI.
It might seem confusing. I know it is. But the simple fact is the Belt (CFP NC, effectively) alternated between two teams (U C.L.A., Alabama) neither of whom were initiated into the official championship. But both of whom aided the eventual champion.
Quite frankly, Oklahoma can't claim a NC in 1985 without BYU's assistance and vice versa. That's called an inference.
Finally if you look at Michigan in 1985 it becomes relatively simple to see how they claim a championship. Same rules apply.
Iowa best Michigan, making Iowa legitimate as a national championship contender. Brigham Young also legitimizes their claim.
Both are validated by Michigan's predominance. But that's not all! Texas also was a legitimate title contender in 1983. But for losing to Georgia 10-9, they're a N.C.
Georgia, therefore carried a Belt into 1984. The one they won from Texas. They surrendered it to S. Carolina. Who surrendered it to Navy. Who lost to Army.
Army defeated Air Force. That legitmizes Army's claim to the Belt. Army lost to Notre Dame in 1985. Besting Notre Dame is never simple but and some consider be it essential be to a valid title claim. S. Methodist beat Notre Dame. Aloha Bowl. The same bowl they helped select a deserving national championship in 1985 helped select a deserving NC in 1984. Brigham Young beat.S. Methodist. In 1980. But they also beat Baylor. 47-14 in the season opener.
Obviously BYU merited a Championship.

See folks, this is called irony. ^^^^^^

That's our word for the day... be sure and use it in a sentence.
The only thing I do is make things simpler. If you fail to recognise that, that's too bad. But I don't see a need to apologise for anything.
My method seems to extract legitimate national championship title claims. That's really all I'm interested in doing. And it does it at a fraction of the expense of other methods. Making my method advantageous. Keep your eye on the bouncing football. It will carry you home!

Priority Teams: Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St., Texas A&M.
Secondary Teams: Georgia, Iowa, Oklahoma, Mississippi.
We ALREADY have an eight team playoff. That's them. Keep your eye on the bouncing football! That's about as simple as it gets!

... waiting on the flow chart.

And to be fair, feel free to add the weights/measurements you use, in a bulleted legend at the bottom of the flow chart.
I'm still in developmental phase. But this isn't tough sledding. It's actually fairly simple. I reference Brigham Young because people still want to diminish their title claim. So my efforts are focused on whether they earned the recognition. You be the judge. I will summarize. Data inflection points.
WAC competitively is (or was) at or very near 40% relative proficiency. Yeah. That's a pretty fair approximation. 40% says 'fair'. Below average, but in the ball park of comparability. SEC teams were at or very near 70%. O.k. we can compare them.
Clearly there's a wide gap. 70% is demonstrably high. I remember Michigan averaged 70% as a BCS participant. Michigan is arguably the G.O.A.T.
Therefore, 70% also is the baseline for excellence. SEC teams are excellent!
So, we are comparing s team (Brigham Young) from a 'fair' conference against one that is demonstrably excellent.
How does BYU bridge the gap? They don't!
That's why they need an emissary. A stand-in. Fortunately there is one available. Iowa.
I already covered this but together they right any wrong perpetuated against either one.
It's really quite remarkable. It truly is.
It probably should almost never happen, yet it happened again in 2017. UCF can claim a championship If they are allowed to include Iowa. Hard to believe, yet easy to demonstrate.
Neither team (Brigham Young or Central Florida) necessarily claim a championship.
But they can lean on Iowa. In either case.
It will be interesting to see what Iowa does this season. They are among the teams on my radar as far as the national championship. I think they might surprise.
The other part I demonstrated. Brigham Young lost to Baylor in 1983. Baylor went 7-4-1 as memory serves. Making BYU an unlikely national championship contender.
But they rallied to win thirteen games!
At 2/3 comparability over the course of two seasons that's 23-1-1. Or 23.5/25 = .94 (94%).
Hardly a national champion until Iowa is represented. Iowa was 17-7-1 = 17.5 / 25 = .7 (70%).
United together:
[(.94 / 3) + (.7 / 3)] = .5467 + .5 = 1.0467 (1.05) % cumulative relative proficiency.
That's including both seasons. I excluded 1983. Which is how I got 96%. F.W.I.W.