covid-19 vaccine AMA

Any info about the new strain after getting the vaccination?
Based on what I've heard, the vaccine is still effective against the new strain. To be honest, I haven't looked into it too much but I imagine it works similar to the flu shot every year. There are a number of strands, scientists try their best to boost immunity against all of the strands, and there will be some people that get sick and others that don't. That is entirely my own speculation though.

There are a number of mutations and variations that have reached the US. We are currently struggling to keep up with gene sequencing so I think it'll be a hot minute before we really know for sure. I doubt we really have any solid data for another 6 months or so. Sorry I don't have more of a defined answer for this one. There just isn't enough data yet and I haven't looked into it enough.

That's understandable! Just yesterday I was talking with someone in lab who was sent a publication by our lab manager. That email was followed up by a "never mind, that paper was retracted" email. Retractionwatch.org will send you emails about scientific papers that have been published and retracted if you're interested! One reason this is important is because usually results get a lot of traction but retractions dont, think of vaccines causing autism paper which was retracted. Additionally, you can look up who has what companies in what fields and what those companies are for. Looking at conflicts of interest and disclosures are your friend! Since I brought it up, the main author for the autism and vaccines paper had created a company to test children for autism based on certain vaccines prior to publication. Finally, look at impact factor for each journal if you're going to look at scientific publications. Impact factor is essentially how many times a paper is referenced in a year. There's a correlation between impact factor and retractions. Question everything and do extensive research!

AND vaccines do NOT cause autism. I don't want anyone to think that I think they do. This is just one of the more widely known studies that people reference in relation to retractions and social media traction.
Beauty, brains, football IQ, and a hell of a right hook! (You remind me of my daughter actually... a lot) Thanks for taking the time to answer an old farts questions!

Any info about the new strain after getting the vaccination?

It goes without saying @FQ_Caroline knows a bit more than I do, but I did see a report today on this subject.

The belief right now is that the vaccine effectiveness will be the same (for the UK strain at least), but that since it’s more contagious the concern is people catching it before vaccinations or fully realizing the benefits of vaccination.

Of course, that’s speculative based on what they’ve studied on the UK strain, any virus could theoretically mutate into something we can’t handle, but that was true before Covid too.

I'm just asking for your opinion here, how long till we get an all clear, go back to no mask, no social distancing, and no more washing hands lol.

It goes without saying @FQ_Caroline knows a bit more than I do, but I did see a report today on this subject.

The belief right now is that the vaccine effectiveness will be the same (for the UK strain at least), but that since it’s more contagious the concern is people catching it before vaccinations or fully realizing the benefits of vaccination.

Of course, that’s speculative based on what they’ve studied on the UK strain, any virus could theoretically mutate into something we can’t handle, but that was true before Covid too.
Like I said yesterday, I haven't looked too much into this yet. I would speculate it's a good bit of wait and see until enough data is collected to make informed inferences. What you said though makes a lot of sense in regards to it being more contagious so it spreading more quickly before vaccination.

I'll look more into this today or tomorrow and update with what I find out.

@FQ_Caroline one quick thing. Do you know anything about the reputation or prestige of the European Journal of Clinical Investigation and the studies they publish?
Just a quick google search tells me that it's a good journal. I think it's been around for awhile and has an impact factor of around 3. For reference, an excellent journal will have 10 or higher, 3 is considered good, and average is around 1. So like, i's good but there are better. As far as reputation and/or prestige go though, I'm not sure

I'm just asking for your opinion here, how long till we get an all clear, go back to no mask, no social distancing, and no more washing hands lol.
Haha the question everyone wants an answer to. It's really going to depend on how quickly everyone can get both doses of the vaccine and what happens with the mutated strains. I think at the earliest probably late summer or early fall. This will also probably be highly dependent on state regulations.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to wear a mask the majority of the time from here on out. It reduces your chances of getting or spreading other illnesses (flu infections have drastically dropped this year). I also LOVE people not standing near me whenever I go anywhere. I have a feeling that even when we do get an "all clear" (this likely won't be one big announcement), many regulations and suggestions will remain in effect, just with less or no enforcement.

Just a quick google search tells me that it's a good journal. I think it's been around for awhile and has an impact factor of around 3. For reference, an excellent journal will have 10 or higher, 3 is considered good, and average is around 1. So like, i's good but there are better. As far as reputation and/or prestige go though, I'm not sure
Thank you. I saw that they had a study with the conclusion that lockdowns were ineffective. I am neither qualified nor competent to break down the study's methodology and was not sure the source was trustworthy. IMHO that question will not be answered until we can get to the "after action review" of the handling of the pandemic.

Thank you. I saw that they had a study with the conclusion that lockdowns were ineffective. I am neither qualified nor competent to break down the study's methodology and was not sure the source was trustworthy. IMHO that question will not be answered until we can get to the "after action review" of the handling of the pandemic.
It looks like to me that they aren't saying lockdowns were ineffective. It looks like they are saying that more restrictive non-pharmaceutical interventions were not significantly more effective than less restrictive non-pharmaceutical interventions. I can't seem to access the full article (it may not be out yet) so I don't feel comfortable agreeing or disagreeing. I want to see what they classified as more or less restrictive, how they came to those conclusions, and how they analyzed this data.

With the the way this coronavirus has been battled and with the approach to designing and engineering this vaccine ... do we now have a leg up on how to mitigate other coronaviruses that have previously been managed through treatment rather than vaccination?
I can't give you a for sure answer because I really just don't know. I would assume that based on the way we have created this vaccine, using mRNA as opposed to traditional vaccines, probably yes. It would just depend on how quickly we can sequence the mRNA. That goes for any infectious disease though. It's much easier (and I think more cost effective) than growing large amounts of a virus to then deactivate/weaken or take some specific piece from. I think we are still trying to determine the major medical implications about finally getting an effective mRNA vaccine. I expect more vaccines to be based on mRNA in the future and more information regarding this topic to come out in the next 6-12 months.

Is it true that the common cold is a strain of coronavirus, and can we expect that this "vaccine" will finally make the common cold go away?

Is it true that the common cold is a strain of coronavirus, and can we expect that this "vaccine" will finally make the common cold go away?
Not from what I've heard and understand. The flu is caused by the influenza virus. Covid-19 is caused by the coronavirus. Since we've been able to make a vaccine in a different way now, it might lead to more effective flu shots but I don't know that for sure and I'd bet it would take at least 2-3 years before we actually figure that out. Also, the flu mutates every year which is why it's so hard to actually prevent. We make an educated guess every year.

Any particular reason you said "vaccine"?

WAIT HANG ON I'm dumb and keep not answering questions. I answered about the flu and not the common cold. I don't know enough about the common cold to answer this question accurately. I did a quick search and it looks like because both the common cold and coronavirus attack the respiratory tract then covid antibodies may recognize common cold virus. I don't know though.

One thing to keep in mind is that we still don't fully understand how the human body works in a number of aspects and we definitely don't completely understand all the implications surrounding covid-19. We can make educated guesses but until verified data is presented, a lot of it is inferences.

WAIT HANG ON I'm dumb and keep not answering questions.
There is nothing dumb about not answering questions. Most of us old, bastages are in the shape we are because we were dumb enough to answer yes to questions ... mostly "Can I hold your beer?", Do you think it will work?" and the most lethal, "Are you sure?". We are tough, mostly because stupid is painful. It took my stupid self nearly half a century to finally learn to only answer questions with questions. :whistle:

I found this explanation of how vaccines work at the cellular level pretty fascinating. Long, but very well done.

"Your immune system is a pretty complex integrated system of cells, tissues and organs that protect your body from both internal and external threats. At the cellular level, there’s the innate immune system and the adaptive immune system. The innate immune system is the first responder and a blunt instrument - always ready, acts quickly, destroys things, but is non-specific. The adaptive immune system is the more sophisticated part - it works more slowly, but it has two big advantages: it is specific (responds to particular threats) and it has memory. The adaptive immune system is the part that makes specific antibodies that neutralize what it’s fighting against. (*This response time is also why you are not immediately protected after getting a vaccine - it can take a couple of weeks for your adaptive immune system to make those antibodies. Some vaccines, like the COVID vaccines, also take more than one dose to really get a strong response from the immune system. Antibodies can also wane, which is why we get boosters of some vaccines.)

The way most traditional vaccines train your adaptive immune system to recognize and produce antibodies against specific threats is by using weakened or dead versions of the virus/bacteria. The immune system would recognize them as invaders and produce antibodies - like a trial run. When later faced with the actual threat, the memory of the adaptive immune system kicked in and those antibodies were ready to go and neutralize the threat.

The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are a new kind of vaccine. They both use messenger RNA (mRNA) to stimulate the immune system to make antibodies. mRNA are instructions for making proteins. Within your cells are tiny structures called ribosomes that can “read” the mRNA instructions, and then make the protein. (I’ll point out here that ribosomes are NOT in the nucleus of the cell - they’re in the cytoplasm. Our DNA is in the nucleus of the cell. Concerns that the vaccines will somehow affect our DNA are not valid, as mRNA doesn’t get into the nucleus).

Both vaccines are basically tiny snippets of mRNA encased in a protective fat bubble. The mRNA is code for the spike protein found on the surface of the coronavirus - not the code for the whole virus, just that protein. When injected, the mRNA is taken up by cells, the ribosomes read the instructions, produce the little spike proteins, and they’re pushed to the surface of the cell.

At this point, the adaptive immune system recognizes that these weird little proteins don’t belong, and starts making antibodies. What antibodies do is neutralize the protein and prevent the virus from infecting a cell. If you think about a lock and key, if you put a wad of gum around a key, it couldn’t unlock a lock anymore. The antibodies function as the gum - preventing the virus (key) from infecting (unlocking) the cell (lock).

After a few days, the snippets of mRNA are broken down in the cell, but by that point, they’ve done their job - the adaptive immune system has been trained and now has antibodies ready to neutralize the coronavirus (specifically that spike protein) in case it ever gets in.

This is how vaccines specifically protect you from getting infected - or, if you do get infected, it will be mild, as most of the virus particles will be neutralized by antibodies. This is also why it’s possible to still be a carrier and not get infected yourself - you could sniff in some virus particles, they could hang out in your nose, and you could sneeze and have those particles carried back out into the world on droplets. It’s why people still need to practice hand hygiene and mask wearing, even if they’ve been vaccinated.

Both vaccines are highly effective - Pfizer 95%, Moderna 94.1%. Those numbers come from the clinical trials - they split the groups into a vaccine group and a placebo group, and then watched what happened over the following couple of months. In the Pfizer study, something like 162 people in the placebo group got COVID during that time period, while only 8 in the vaccine group got COVID - hence, 95% effective. It’s important to note that it’s not 100% effective - for one thing, people’s immune systems differ! Vaccines depend on your immune system really mounting a strong defense. In the elderly, the immune system just isn’t as strong, and therefore, it often takes more to provoke a robust response (it’s why elderly are given higher dose flu vaccines - their immune systems need that extra prompt to do their work)"