Florida State coaching search...

Bobby bowdon was quirky, boistrous, outspoken,, and had a good ole boy charm about him.. not saying they want to go back that direction,, but,,
Leach or would be scary at FSU..
Not many at FSU agree. I would say there is a less than 5% chance on either of those guys but hell ya never know. It is pretty apparent that since moving on from Stoops they are doing a pretty far reaching search.

Kiffen and his scumbag past are interesting if only because him and Briles seem to do well together at FAU.

So, I think there's a better than negative chance, we're legitimately going to hire Jack Del Rio.
JDR’s name surfaced a lot last year when everyone was hoping USC would fire Helton. Haven’t heard it much lately. Most everyone has put all their eggs in the Urban basket over here.

Had 2 interesting thoughts on the matter as I was driving to Tallahassee today. 1) FSU possibly has a guy inside Clemson that might be able to give them some insight in to their situation with the coordinators there. The 2 I hear about are Elliot and Venables of course but Scott might also be a darkhorse contender here. Terry Bowden is a grad assistant at Clemson (weird right). Now that might not seem like a big deal to many but Terry is the guy that put them on to Jimbo Fisher a decade ago. People often forget Fisher coached for him at Auburn during his tenure there. I know this may seem a bit out there but something to keep in mind.

2nd. I wonder if Bob feigned interest in the FSU job in order to try to help open it up for Mark. I have little doubt that there was contact between the parties before Willy was canned. His interaction with the admin have at the very least shown the level FSU is willing to go to get this thing back on track. (Speaking financilly that is). Mark at the very least knows what Bob was offered and the other things FSU was willing to do to get him. That being said I seriously doubt Mark is going to be the guy.
Your post sparked my thinking. Why not Terry Bowden? Is he even on FSU's candidate list? He had a 47-17-1 record at Auburn. Seems to me he would be as good a choice as any out there right now

He's a proven coach which is better than the names thrown out there now

No he’s not. His Auburn record was inflated buy the early seasons of Pat Dye’s players, he had a clear trend downward as Auburn’s coach. He had to coach at North Alabama and Akron despite being on the market for 20 years and not a single major P5 program has wanted him.
On top of that, he’s a known drunk and philanderer. And is hardly a disciplinarian this program legit needs.

And finally, FSU needs to stop referring the Bowden dynasty, stop going with Family hires and stop going with “ties to the area.”
It needs a guy who respects the traditions but isn’t going to be in awe of them. They need a guy who isn’t going to say “aww shucks Asante Jr, you just keep trying” they need a guy who’s gonna say “get your fucking head out of your fucking ass or you’re sitting on the bench”

Tater Tot, ain’t that guy.

Your post sparked my thinking. Why not Terry Bowden? Is he even on FSU's candidate list? He had a 47-17-1 record at Auburn. Seems to me he would be as good a choice as any out there right now
I think the Auburn thing left him stained and he did not exactly kill it after Auburn. His time has come and gone.

I think the Auburn thing left him stained and he did not exactly kill it after Auburn. His time has come and gone.
[/QUOTE]
Maybe so but to see Jack Del Rio's name thrown into the mix makes me laugh. The guy as a HC is a loser. I'd take T. Bowden any day

No he’s not. His Auburn record was inflated buy the early seasons of Pat Dye’s players, he had a clear trend downward as Auburn’s coach.
Yes he is. Dye's last two seasons were bad (5-6 and 5-5-1) Bowden had one bad year, the year all that mess came down and he resigned mid-season.
Bowden didn't miraculously convert Dye's freshmen recruits into a 11-0 team

Yes he is. Dye's last two seasons were bad (5-6 and 5-5-1) Bowden had one bad year, the year all that mess came down and he resigned mid-season.
Bowden didn't miraculously convert Dye's freshmen recruits into a 11-0 team

He took Dye’s best players, and won big early, he slumped middle of the next couple of years.

His teams were also notorious for bad discipline and penalties, something we’re trying to get away from. You don’t find it strange this guy you’re so high on hasn’t coached a major program in 20 years?

He’s also 63 years old, and isn’t exactly known for sainthood off the field.

Hell, I’d rather have Tommy if you want to go the Daddy route, he at least laid a foundation for Clemson to build off of.

He took Dye’s best players, and won big early, he slumped middle of the next couple of years.

His teams were also notorious for bad discipline and penalties, something we’re trying to get away from. You don’t find it strange this guy you’re so high on hasn’t coached a major program in 20 years?

He’s also 63 years old, and isn’t exactly known for sainthood off the field.

Hell, I’d rather have Tommy if you want to go the Daddy route, he at least laid a foundation for Clemson to build off of.
Yes he took Dye’s best players, and won big early, something to be said for that as Dye could only pull 5 wins out of them. Bowden is an assistant with Clemson so he has not been out of it for 20 years. Outside of B. Bowden, not many coaches are known for their character prowess off the field so that's a moot point. Terry Bowden left Tuberville in much better shape than Dye left Bowden and this Daddy thing you speak of has nothing to do with anything

Yes he took Dye’s best players, and won big early, something to be said for that as Dye could only pull 5 wins out of them. Bowden is an assistant with Clemson so he has not been out of it for 20 years. Outside of B. Bowden, not many coaches are known for their character prowess off the field so that's a moot point. Terry Bowden left Tuberville in much better shape than Dye left Bowden and this Daddy thing you speak of has nothing to do with anything

He hasn’t been a Head Coach, at a major program in 20 years, and nobody has even offered him in that time. But you want to hire him?

Ok, makes sense.

Mike Leach, given the fertile recruiting ground in Florida, the pirate will kick ass and take names. He still maintain a resident in Key West so in a way he's going home.
The question with Leach is not whether he can coach but could he really recruit in Florida. I do not want a guy that can beat OK teams with 3 star talent. I want a guy that can get 5* talent and coach. That is what it takes to win at the highest level. I am not sure Leach can get the talent in the door to be honest. His schtick likely would not play as well in the deep south as it has at Texas Tech or Washington State.... I like him, he cracks me up but not sure the kids he would be recruiting down here would be as entertained.

The question with Leach is not whether he can coach but could he really recruit in Florida. I do not want a guy that can beat OK teams with 3 star talent. I want a guy that can get 5* talent and coach. That is what it takes to win at the highest level. I am not sure Leach can get the talent in the door to be honest. His schtick likely would not play as well in the deep south as it has at Texas Tech or Washington State.... I like him, he cracks me up but not sure the kids he would be recruiting down here would be as entertained.
Florida State brand, history and tradition alone would attract 4/5* talent. I’d think top 10 QBs out of HS in FL would love to play for him knowing he will put it up at least 30 times and 300 yards/game, so would WRs knowing they’ll get at least 6 balls and 100 yards/game. We all know ML had low to no star talent but smart players on offense and QBs such as: Josh Heupel, Kliff Kingsbury, Lincoln Riley and Gardner Minshew, and his offense can go toes to toes with just about anybody in the country bc of his scheming offense.

ML achilles heels is defense. He has to have talent on D. His LBs & DBs are gonna get burnt if they’re slower than his opponent RBs & WRs (can’t teach natural talent) same goes with Dline. Top talent defensive guys like Dylan Moses and Kenneth Murray don’t want to play at TTU or Wazzu, but more than likely they will want to play at FSU.

Leach is in his late 50s, imo he still has at least 4 good years left. He may not win NC at FSU, but knocking on door of CFP & appearance in NY6 is not out question.