History of Conference Realignment

In FCS football, there are quite a few changes that take effect as of today:

- Austin Peay is leaves the Ohio Valley Conference for the Atlantic Sun

- Bryant leaves the Northeast Conference for the Big South

- Hampton and Monmouth leaves the Big South for the Colonial Athletic Association

- James Madison leaves the Colonial Athletic Association to move to FBS and join the Sun Belt

- Kennesaw State leaves the Big South to join the Atlantic Sun

- Lindenwood moves up from NCAA Division II to FCS and joins the Ohio Valley Conference

- North Alabama leaves the Big South for the Atlantic Sun

- Southern Utah leaves the Big Sky for the Western Athletic Conference

- Stonehill moves up from NCAA Division II to join the Northeast Conference

- Texas A&M-Commerce moves up from NCAA Division II to join the Southland Conference

- Also, Dixie State University's name change is now official and the school will now be known as Utah Tech

FCS conferences for the 2022-23 season:

Atlantic Sun (6)
Austin Peay

Central Arkansas
Eastern Kentucky
Jacksonville State
Kennesaw State
North Alabama

Big Sky (12)

Cal Poly
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Portland State
Sacramento State
Southern Utah
UC-Davis
Weber State

Big South (6)
Bryant

Campbell
Charleston Southern
Gardner-Webb
Hampton
Kennesaw State
Monmouth
North Alabama

North Carolina A&T
Robert Morris

Colonial Athletic Association (13)
Albany
Delaware
Elon
Hampton
James Madison
Maine
Monmouth
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Richmond
Stony Brook
Towson
Villanova
William & Mary

Ivy League (8)
Brown
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Harvard
Pennsylvania
Princeton
Yale

Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (6)
Delaware State
Howard
Morgan State
Norfolk State
North Carolina Central
South Carolina State

Missouri Valley Football Conference (11)
Illinois State
Indiana State
Missouri State
North Dakota
North Dakota State
Northern Iowa
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Southern Illinois
Western Illinois
Youngstown State

Northeast Conference (8)
Bryant
Central Connecticut State
Duquesne
Long Island
Merrimack
Sacred Heart
St. Francis
Stonehill
Wagner

Ohio Valley Conference (7)
Austin Peay
Eastern Illinois
Lindenwood
Murray State
Southeast Missouri State
Tennessee-Martin
Tennessee State
Tennessee Tech

Patriot League (7)
Bucknell
Colgate
Fordham
Georgetown
Holy Cross
Lafayette
Lehigh

Pioneer Football League (11)
Butler
Davidson
Dayton
Drake
Marist
Morehead State
Presbyterian
San Diego
St. Thomas
Stetson
Valparaiso

Southern Conference (9)
Chattanooga
East Tennessee State
Furman
Mercer
Samford
The Citadel
Virginia Military Institute
Western Carolina
Wofford

Southland Conference (7)
Houston Baptist
Incarnate Word
McNeese State
Nicholls State
Northwestern State
Southeastern Louisiana
Texas A&M-Commerce

Southwestern Athletic Conference (12)
East Division

Alabama A&M
Alabama State
Bethune-Cookman
Florida A&M
Jackson State
Mississippi Valley State
West Division
Alcorn State
Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Grambling State
Prairie View A&M
Southern
Texas Southern

Western Athletic Conference (7)
Abilene Christian
Lamar
Sam Houston State
Southern Utah
Stephen F. Austin
Tarleton State
Utah Tech

giphy.gif

b1g.jpg

@Irishblooded you want to shit on his pineapple pizza or should I?

Personally I still think conferences are for cowards. Either your team has the ability to go it alone. Or should be FCS. Simple as that. And I will keep saying that right up to the moment that ND joins a conference ;)

I am still one of the few ND fans that wouldn't mind ND in a conference. I just don't want it to be the B1G. There is no advantage to it. I would rather be in a revamped ACC type.

If ND is willing to pull the trigger, that could be how the Big Ten ends up. I'm not convinced they're going to leave UCLA/USC on an island permanently. However, the Big Ten also wants to expand east. Looking at schools like FSU, Clemson, Miami etc. They may wait and see what they can get from the south before looking west. Schools like FSU, Clemson, etc. could consider SEC membership while the west coast schools don't have other options. UO, UW, and Stanford are always going to be available for the Big Ten, if they want to go down that path.

If ND is willing to pull the trigger, that could be how the Big Ten ends up. I'm not convinced they're going to leave UCLA/USC on an island permanently. However, the Big Ten also wants to expand east. Looking at schools like FSU, Clemson, Miami etc. They may wait and see what they can get from the south before looking west. Schools like FSU, Clemson, etc. could consider SEC membership while the west coast schools don't have other options. UO, UW, and Stanford are always going to be available for the Big Ten, if they want to go down that path.
The B1G used to brag about academics now let's see if they hold true to that thought process.

uwacademics2.jpg

Last edited:
The B1G used to brag about academics now let's see if they hold true to that thought process.

uwacademics2.jpg

There's still a small chance UW/UO could be off to the Big Ten, Pete Thamel had a great article about this possibility. They need Amazon to come in and make another offer to the Big Ten and hope the university presidents are ok with a streaming partner to go alongside CBS, NBC and FOX. My guess is too much needs to happen too soon and expansion remains a no-go.

Amazon FNF with the Big Ten could be enticing, however. I'd be for it.

There's still a small chance UW/UO could be off to the Big Ten, Pete Thamel had a great article about this possibility. They need Amazon to come in and make another offer to the Big Ten and hope the university presidents are ok with a streaming partner to go alongside CBS, NBC and FOX. My guess is too much needs to happen too soon and expansion remains a no-go.

Personally I wouldn't mind if the B1G took Washington and Stanford while Nike U joined the Big 12.

Personally I wouldn't mind if the B1G took Washington and Stanford while Nike U joined the Big 12.

Not likely. Oregon brings a lot of eyeballs and that makes them one of the best available programs ATM.

Plus, there are real concerns about Stanford's commitment to the NIL era of college football. I think they only get to tag along if ND jumps on board. Otherwise, they just don't bring enough value for a media partner to justify it.

The odds of this happening increases dramatically if the Big 12 adds the corner 4. Something to keep an eye on.

I still think the PAC 10 signs a deal and stays together in the short term. However, it sounds like Big Ten expansion could start heating up in the summer. Washington + Oregon is the only potential addition unless something changes with ND. Stanford not having an NIL collective has people worried about their commitment to football moving forward. It doesn't appear Stanford is prepared to participate in the new era of big boy college football. ACC schools are locked up in their GOR and aren't getting out of that.

I still think the PAC 10 signs a deal and stays together in the short term. However, it sounds like Big Ten expansion could start heating up in the summer. Washington + Oregon is the only potential addition unless something changes with ND. Stanford not having an NIL collective has people worried about their commitment to football moving forward. It doesn't appear Stanford is prepared to participate in the new era of big boy college football. ACC schools are locked up in their GOR and aren't getting out of that.
I believe that there is a strong chance that Washington and Oregon will go to the BiG when USC and UCLA move. It's a gut feeling based off of the OSU v Oregon game being cancelled. It could be nothing but it resembles the Oklahoma v Bama cancellation that was followed by OU and Texas getting to the SEC a year early.

I believe that there is a strong chance that Washington and Oregon will go to the BiG when USC and UCLA move. It's a gut feeling based off of the OSU v Oregon game being cancelled. It could be nothing but it resembles the Oklahoma v Bama cancellation that was followed by OU and Texas getting to the SEC a year early.
Oklahoma was supposed to play UGA in 2023. The SEC cancelled that game prior to the 2024 announcement.