Need 5Q's opinion on putting my dog down.

tOSU

Ghost of the Sweater Vest
Max is a 15.5 yo Shih Tzu. He's been an ass his whole life but we love him. My wife thinks it's time to put him down and so do I but I'm looking for other opinions.
He's been blind for several years. One of my nicknames for him is pinball because he'll walk until he runs into something then change direction.
He has glaucoma and cataracts in both eyes and he will no longer allow us to put in eye drops to ease the pressure.
About six months ago his longtime groomer told us we needed to find another groomer which we have not been able to because he's an ass.
He pretty much shits and pisses wherever he wants so between that and the fact that he hasn't been groomed for 6 months our house smells like an outhouse. He cries like someone is trying to kill him if we try to trim the hair around his ass so shit doesn't get stuck in it.
At this point in his life he sleeps, eats, and poops. Sleep takes up 95% of his time.
Are we terrible people if we have him put down?

I waited three days into carrying my last one, 55 lb catahoula, 17 years old, to do her business before I gave in.

If he can still get around, I don't think I could do it, but no one can make that decision but you.

I just found my baby yesterday. She bolted after a wreck and headed down the highway and into some nasty woods.

She eventually backtracked to the wreck area and found the shirt I left her.

I don't like dogs. <<That's my disclaimer.

What you're asking is a difficult and personal question. It's not an easy decision. After so many years, you are talking about a member of your family. So I'll ask you a question....

If it were a relative instead of a pet, would you still be asking, "Should I put them down?"

That may sound harsh, but it's a legit question. I'm sorry you have such a difficult decision to make and I hope you make a decision that you can find peace with.

I waited three days into carrying my last one, 55 lb catahoula, 17 years old, to do her business before I gave in.

If he can still get around, I don't think I could do it, but no one can make that decision but you.

I just found my baby yesterday. She bolted after a wreck and headed down the highway and into some nasty woods.

She eventually backtracked to the wreck area and found the shirt I left her.
That's great! I glad that you found her!
I do agree with your sentiment about them being able to get around if they're not in too much pain and still get some kind of enjoyment out of life.
At this point in Max's life I'm not too sure there's much enjoyment.

I don't like dogs. <<That's my disclaimer.

What you're asking is a difficult and personal question. It's not an easy decision. After so many years, you are talking about a member of your family. So I'll ask you a question....

If it were a relative instead of a pet, would you still be asking, "Should I put them down?"

That may sound harsh, but it's a legit question. I'm sorry you have such a difficult decision to make and I hope you make a decision that you can find peace with.
Of course not. Although I am an animal lover I value human life way more.
If the relative was very sick and in a lot of pain I would pray for them to either get better or go peacefully.

Of course not. Although I am an animal lover I value human life way more.
If the relative was very sick and in a lot of pain I would pray for them to either get better or go peacefully.

Watching my Dad go through 12 years of dialysis was brutal. It hurt like hell the whole time. When he finally passed, it was actually a relief to our family. I wouldn't wish his suffering on even my worst enemy.

I suppose what I'm saying is.....I would end the suffering if I had the power to do so.

Max is a 15.5 yo Shih Tzu. He's been an ass his whole life but we love him. My wife thinks it's time to put him down and so do I but I'm looking for other opinions.
He's been blind for several years. One of my nicknames for him is pinball because he'll walk until he runs into something then change direction.
He has glaucoma and cataracts in both eyes and he will no longer allow us to put in eye drops to ease the pressure.
About six months ago his longtime groomer told us we needed to find another groomer which we have not been able to because he's an ass.
He pretty much shits and pisses wherever he wants so between that and the fact that he hasn't been groomed for 6 months our house smells like an outhouse. He cries like someone is trying to kill him if we try to trim the hair around his ass so shit doesn't get stuck in it.
At this point in his life he sleeps, eats, and poops. Sleep takes up 95% of his time.
Are we terrible people if we have him put down?
we have an old dog as well -
prob gettin senile -
bit my ol lady last week -
it was all i could do
to not put a slug between her eyes -
ol lady wouldn't let me -
happens again,
and it wont be more than 2 min -

I was holding Max and fucking with him years ago (not hurting him) and he bit my nose. I would've like to have thrown him out the window but of course I couldn't.
He had bitten me before but for some reason I didn't think that he'd bite my face.

"At this point in his life he sleeps, eats, and poops. Sleep takes up 95% of his time." Damn! I guess it is time to put me down.

I am dog lover. My girl is also 15.5. She is now and has pretty much been my shadow since we brought her home. Rubbing her head has helped me through some pretty long nights. I love this pup. It is going to devastate me when it is her time.

I am sorry you are having to make this call. Sending good thoughts to Max and your family.

"At this point in his life he sleeps, eats, and poops. Sleep takes up 95% of his time." Damn! I guess it is time to put me down.

I am dog lover. My girl is also 15.5. She is now and has pretty much been my shadow since we brought her home. Rubbing her head has helped me through some pretty long nights. I love this pup. It is going to devastate me when it is her time.

I am sorry you are having to make this call. Sending good thoughts to Max and your family.
You literally have to wake him up to take him outside and to eat.
I'm also a dog lover. If I wasn't I wouldn't be struggling with this as I would've had his ass put down years ago.
He actually bit one of my son's friends a long time ago and the parents weren't happy.
Like I've said to may people over the years if he was any bigger and a real threat to do anymore than break the skin I would've had to get rid of him a long time ago.

Tough call brother, and I won’t judge you either way. I just lost one a few months ago, she was 16. Her mate is 15 now and blind, Incontinent, and half deaf. I can’t do it. If he reaches the point he’s in pain and suffering I will, otherwise he’ll spend his last days on his pillow beside the couch. There are things you can do to make things easier, dog diapers help with the mess of incontinence. I had to put one down years ago, but she was having mini strokes non-stop. She couldn’t hardly get up, and if she did manage to get up she would scream out trying to lay back down because of arthritis pain. I cried like a little girl when I took her to the vet by the way.
you have to do what you feel is best, and it’s not a decision that any of us can make for you. Bless you!

There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth.
It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of all its beautiful colors.
Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows,
hills and valleys with lush green grass.
When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place.
There is always food and water and warm spring weather.
The old and frail animals are young again.
Those who were sick, hurt or in pain are made whole again.
There is only one thing missing,
they are not with their special person who loved them so much on earth.
So each day they run and play until the day comes
when one suddenly stops playing and looks up!
The nose twitches! The ears are up!
The eyes are staring and this one runs from the group!
You have been seen and when you and your special friend meet,
you take him in your arms and hug him.
He licks and kisses your face again and again -
and you look once more into the eyes of your best friend and trusting
pet.
Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together never again to be apart.

There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth.
It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of all its beautiful colors.
Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows,
hills and valleys with lush green grass.
When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place.
There is always food and water and warm spring weather.
The old and frail animals are young again.
Those who were sick, hurt or in pain are made whole again.
There is only one thing missing,
they are not with their special person who loved them so much on earth.
So each day they run and play until the day comes
when one suddenly stops playing and looks up!
The nose twitches! The ears are up!
The eyes are staring and this one runs from the group!
You have been seen and when you and your special friend meet,
you take him in your arms and hug him.
He licks and kisses your face again and again -
and you look once more into the eyes of your best friend and trusting
pet.
Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together never again to be apart.
Gogdammit, you done gone and done it now.. my eyes almost leaked a little.

I understand that pets become part of people's families, and the attachment is real. I am not trying to be insensitive in this post by the way. I have had 2 dogs that I have loved. But here is the simple truth, when it is all said and done they are still just animals, they are not people. Yes they have brought you joy, and it's hard but putting them down when they can't function anymore is the best thing for them and you in the long term. It is not fair to allow them to suffer. This may seem harsh to you but it's not meant to be, death is a part of life, there is no avoiding it.

I am a dog lover and we had a toy Pekinese for 13 years and had to put her down. Like others here, I hurt to the point I had to get my father in law drive me to the vet that day. It is a very personal decision and unless the puppy(IMHO they are all puppies no matter the age) is suffering, I can't offer an opinion. It is a tough call either way.