OK mower guys, looking for opinions

RTR...USN (ret)

Shore Patrol
Staff member
My old Cub Cadet lawn mower is ready for retirement. I’ve gotten 17 good years out of it. Engine still runs great, never had transmission issues, and it’s been dependable as hell Lately though I’m working on it as much as I use it. The deck is just wore out, and it keeps throwing the drive belt. When that happens, it’s 3-4 hours of work to put it back on as you have to remove the deck, remove the PTO clutch from the crankshaft, then lift the motor to put the belt back on the crankshaft pulley. Major pain in the ass.
I’m looking to replace it with a Cub Cadet Ultima ZT1 50” zero turn.
Anyone got some opinions or expertise on these things?

Im a cheap ass, I bought a troybilt pony from Walmart about 8 years ago and should have tossed it after 4 but I keep working on it and it keeps cutting grass,, you know we have a Mahindra dealer right near you,, Ive heard good things,, might be worth checkin into,, I have nothing to offer experience wise,, just thought Id post in your thread :coffee:

I'm a John Deere fan boy.

Buy something that will handle more yard that what you have now and look at commercial grade.

My 2008 John Deere lawn tractor is made for a bigger yard than I have, I bought it used. Has 400+ hours on it.

Good luck finding what you want, mowers are in short supply and blades are tough to find as well.

I'm a John Deere fan boy.

Buy something that will handle more yard that what you have now and look at commercial grade.

My 2008 John Deere lawn tractor is made for a bigger yard than I have, I bought it used. Has 400+ hours on it.

Good luck finding what you want, mowers are in short supply and blades are tough to find as well.
I like me some JD but the Cadillac of riding lawn mowers is Kubota with their 4WD, USB port and beer holder. Hell you can even get a covered top for them that comes off and on along with a windshield wiper and defrost.

I like me some JD but the Cadillac of riding lawn mowers is Kubota with their 4WD, USB port and beer holder. Hell you can even get a covered top for them that comes off and on along with a windshield wiper and defrost.

That's what I have, not that model and not 4wd, but it's a zero turn diesel. Our yard used to take like 6 or 7 hours to mow with a conventional mower. Gets done in like 2 hours now.