RIP Ryan Mallett

Damn. Eerie, as I just thought about him randomly, yesterday.

Please, y’all, if you visit the beach, understand currents and rip tides and what to do if you ever find yourself in either.
I was stationed in Hawaii for 4 years. While I was there, I used to go to Sandy Beach on Oahu on the regular. I went back to Hawaii in 2004, 10 years after I got out of the Corps. The waves and current when I revisited Sandy Beach nearly got my ass. I was struggling, fighting the water, believing I was about to die. That was my first lesson about "I'm getting old, I can't do what I used to could.". I was 38 at the time.

Life takes you down a road. The further down the road, the older you are. Understand your road.

Sad to hear that about Mallet. The panhandle must have some dangerous conditions lately, this article says 7 have drowned in the last 9 days just in PCB:

Yeah. Had a friend tell me about PCB. Thing is, a lot of city dwelling tourists go to the beach along the Gulf Coast and they have no idea.
Need to know how to swim. Heck, I learned to swim in the gulf. Was always a strong swimmer. But there are things that happen with currents/rip tides that can catch one off guard.

Yeah. Had a friend tell me about PCB. Thing is, a lot of city dwelling tourists go to the beach along the Gulf Coast and they have no idea.
Need to know how to swim. Heck, I learned to swim in the gulf. Was always a strong swimmer. But there are things that happen with currents/rip tides that can catch one off guard.
The same thing happens here with Lake Michigan. One municipality just passed an ordinance that gives them the authority to force people out of the water or fine them $500 if they go into the water when there’s a double red flag. Too many people were ignoring the warnings and then needed to be rescued. Some places have bigger fines, some have no enforcement at all.

Usually the rip currents are near a concrete pier, but those are near public beaches and people jump off the pier. If the waves are coming in on an angle, it’s bad news…people have to swim away from the pier to get out of the currents. Counter intuitive for people that aren’t familiar with the danger.