RIP Sports Illustrated?

Big 8 Rules

I’m torn. This “magazine” had become little more than a TMZ knock off, but man when I was a kid I couldn’t wait until my weekly SI showed up in the mailbox every Saturday. I loved that magazine, and anytime there was a cover shot of a local KC hero like George Brett, Lenny Dawson, Tom Watson … well that was all that much cooler. I still remember my very first issue I got as a subscriber … Sonny Sixkiller on the cover. I had just turned 11 the week before and this birthday present subscription from my older sister showed up in the mailbox. A great birthday present.

IMG_0107.jpeg

Last edited:
Sadly (for me more than anyone here) print has been dead or dying for decades. Their choice to lean into wokeness and then the AI scandal, and their demise was all but inevitable. A shame, but, you’ll - we- will always have the memories. And issues we horded.
Back in the day, if I wasn’t outside screwing around on bikes or playing ball with friends, I was probably downstairs in the family room with a Coke and either a SI or a Mad magazine.

I woulda bet AG would be the first to reference the swimsuit issue but here comes family man Toad from somewhere in the back. Haha
Sonny Sixkiller a UW great was also in the original Longest Yard. Nice work OP!

View attachment 25417
Sonny Sixkiller is a Washington born and raised GOAT. With that said SI didn't do itself any favors by putting a tranny on the cover of the swimsuit edition. I mean like wtf were they thinking.

I haven’t opened an SI since I threw a jerk to Kathy Ireland in ‘87, who’s the tranny they used?
This was 2-3 years ago. A year after they started putting obese “body positive” models- and I ain’t talking about Kate Upton- on the cover, they put a legit swingin’ dick dude”ette” on their cover. Combined with the AI scandal and this is, honestly, overdue.

I woulda bet AG would be the first to reference the swimsuit issue but here comes family man Toad from somewhere in the back. Haha
Sonny Sixkiller a UW great was also in the original Longest Yard. Nice work OP!

View attachment 25417
Also,thank you…that’s among the finest compliments I’ve ever received my friend. It makes me proud that I’m known as a family man!