RIP Vince Dooley

"Dooley was in attendance as Georgia as the Bulldogs beat the Crimson Tide. He shared a moment on the field with Kirby Smart in celebrating the victory.

The look on Kirby Smart's face says exactly how much Dawg fans love Coach Dooley

In Dooley’s 25 years of coaching at Georgia, the Bulldogs only had a losing record just once. At the time of his retirement, only Alabama’s Bear Bryant had more wins among SEC coaches.

Dooley was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1994. He is also a member of the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame, Alabama Sports Hall of Fame and the Florida-Georgia Hall of Fame.

Georgia renamed the field at Sanford Stadium after Dooley in 2019, honoring the legendary Georgia sports figure.

“It was a very moving experience, a moving day,” Dooley said at the time of the ceremony. “I’m thankful for all of the people that were part of making it happen, and all the people that share in this, which is the greatest thrill of all.”

By the time Dooley stepped away from coaching following the 1988 season, he had already been hard at work as the program’s athletic director. Many of Georgia’s best coaches were hired by Dooley such as gymnastics coach Suzanne Yoculan, swimming and diving’s Jack Bauerle, Manny Diaz of men’s tennis, Jeff Wallace in women’s tennis and Chris Haack in men’s golf. All have won multiple national championships for the University of Georgia."

3 of the greatest in UGA history are finally back together as Coach has taken his place beside Larry Munson and Erk Russell. I would love to hear their conversation tomorrow.

Some of my personal thoughts.

After Coach Dooley graduated from Auburn, he served his turn as an Officer in the United States Marine Corps. I have yet to see anyone in the media mention this. Understanding my bias, I'm still disappointed.

After serving, he went back to Auburn to coach at his alma mater. He was their offensive coordinator for 10 seasons before coming to Athens in 1964. After winning his natty at UGA he was compelled to return to Auburn by many, including his former teammate and then Alabama governor, Fob James. He declined the job and spent the rest of his life in Athens.

Not only was he a great coach, he was a great man, father, husband, grandfather, and mentor.

Dooley was instrumental in how we watch so many CFB games today. He pushed for the lawsuit that changed everything.

From 1981 through 1984, OU and Georgia were partners in a lawsuit that changed college football.

They sued to end the NCAA's regulation of televised football.

In 2009, Dooley was hired as a consultant by Kennesaw State in their attempt to start a football program. Next year, the Owls will join the ranks of the FBS.

There have been many coaches in the history of CFB. The number that can truly claim becoming a nationally known household name......those are few and far between.

His legacy will never die.

Some of my personal thoughts.

After Coach Dooley graduated from Auburn, he served his turn as an Officer in the United States Marine Corps. I have yet to see anyone in the media mention this. Understanding my bias, I'm still disappointed.

After serving, he went back to Auburn to coach at his alma mater. He was their offensive coordinator for 10 seasons before coming to Athens in 1964. After winning his natty at UGA he was compelled to return to Auburn by many, including his former teammate and then Alabama governor, Fob James. He declined the job and spent the rest of his life in Athens.

Not only was he a great coach, he was a great man, father, husband, grandfather, and mentor.

Dooley was instrumental in how we watch so many CFB games today. He pushed for the lawsuit that changed everything.

From 1981 through 1984, OU and Georgia were partners in a lawsuit that changed college football.

They sued to end the NCAA's regulation of televised football.

In 2009, Dooley was hired as a consultant by Kennesaw State in their attempt to start a football program. Next year, the Owls will join the ranks of the FBS.

There have been many coaches in the history of CFB. The number that can truly claim becoming a nationally known household name......those are few and far between.

His legacy will never die.

Finebaum mentioned him being a Marine several times on his show today.

Very few people do the right things at all times and have a direct positive impact on thousands that they personally interact with. Thanks for being one of the few and RIP Coach.