State of your team in fall camp

batchaps4me

2022 Poster of The Year!
Fall camp has started and many of us have new staff and we all have new players vying for positions. I am curious about everyone's evaluation of their team. Since Auburn has had a complete overhaul, I will go first:
Coaches- I am happy so far with the energy and effort the staff has put into recruiting. We signed 14 former 4 star recruits from the portal which is more than any other team. We needed it to be competitive with any of our SEC opponents this season. This past week saw us pick up commits from two four star and 2 five star recruits, FWIW ... I don't put much stock in commits until signing day. That's not a knock on the kids, a coach could say the wrong thing to momma or a spot on their dream school could open up, so it ain't over until it's over.

Where I had most concern was game management and philosophy because it has been five or so years since I have seen him call a game. A lot has changed in the NCAAF rules so I was curious enough to watch Liberty @ Wake(36-37) and @Arkansas(21-19) this week and going to watch more Liberty games this week and see how they looked in their other losses. My preliminary observations are that his team:
1. was well disciplined and fundamentally sound. There were few, perhaps two, false start/illegal shift penalties that I remember and I can't think of
any off sides. The moments were not too big for them and they didn't slow or quit when things were going against them. I hope those two things
are a part of Auburn's culture this year and have no reason to doubt they will.
2. was attacking on both sides of the ball. I don't have the skills to break down plays, you could see the concepts of all the routs on a play. It is
almost like every receiver had a purpose. Forgive me guys, but that is a new concept to Auburn football.
3. game planned. He uses formations and shifts to force favorable matchups and then took his shots with those matchups. Again, forgive me but
that is also a new concept for Auburn football.
4. overall got the best from his players. They were out talented, I would say vastly out talented, by both Wake and Arkansas, but you couldn't see
that play to play. They played as peers.

Now for a few things I didn't like:
1. The meerkat. For some reason, I have never like the team looking like meerkats at the line of scrimmage on every play. I understand the
advantages vs disadvantages but I guess I am just too old-school to like that. On balance, his NH can use pace but is not HUNH.
2. Pass/run ratio was about 58/42. Again, I am a bit old-school and would like it closer to 55/45. Hell, 40/60 would please the hell out of me ...
3. He was either slow at adjusting for certain edge players/blitzers or he just didn't have the talent to counter. In all fairness, we have all been there,
but I never saw help in the form of chip blocks from the running backs or tight ends.
4. There was not a big presence of TEs. I never saw two TE sets and rarely saw a TE on the line. This could be just a personnel or philosophy thing,
IDK. But IMHO TEs are the QB's best friend and safety valve.

I will do our QB battle later, this post is long enough even after I edited out a lot of things. What about everyone else's teams?

We have Liam Coen back from his one year hiatus as the Rams OC and paying him the same money, I wouldnt trade him for any OC, because he is a great fit at UK. We have Devin Leary at QB (former ACC POTY) and underrated true sophomore WR's Barion Brown and Dane Key, along with veteran Tayvion Robinson who was injured last year at the start of the season (former VT WR with over 150 catches and over 2000 yards). We have several capable RBs including Vandy transfer Ray Davis (1000 yard rusher from Vandy last year). Liam has already added two high 4 star HS QB recruits in Cutter Boley (2024) and Stone Saunders (2025) which both had multiple big time offers.

But it all depends on our OLine that sucked ass last year. We added transfers Courtland Ford from USC, Tanner Bowles from Bama and Ben Christman from tOSU for a quick fix. The other Oline guys are legit and seasoned also. We just have to protect Leary.

The defense is always solid under Stoops and DC Brad White, finishing well including in the top 15 of CFB last year.

I think this team can be very special. Also, Auburn is killing it in recruiting.

We have Liam Coen back from his one year hiatus as the Rams OC and paying him the same money, I wouldnt trade him for any OC, because he is a great fit at UK. We have Devin Leary at QB (former ACC POTY) and underrated true sophomore WR's Barion Brown and Dane Key, along with veteran Tayvion Robinson who was injured last year at the start of the season (former VT WR with over 150 catches and over 2000 yards). We have several capable RBs including Vandy transfer Ray Davis (1000 yard rusher from Vandy last year). Liam has already added two high 4 star HS QB recruits in Cutter Boley (2024) and Stone Saunders (2025) which both had multiple big time offers.

But it all depends on our OLine that sucked ass last year. We added transfers Courtland Ford from USC, Tanner Bowles from Bama and Ben Christman from tOSU for a quick fix. The other Oline guys are legit and seasoned also. We just have to protect Leary.

The defense is always solid under Stoops and DC Brad White, finishing well including in the top 15 of CFB last year.

I think this team can be very special. Also, Auburn is killing it in recruiting.

I saw the question and answer session (Stoops, White and Coen) did with the media on fan day and, I can't remember if it was Stoops or Coen, but one of them was saying how the o-line has really progressed just a few practices in. That's the kinda news that's great to hear from whichever one it was who was saying it because neither of those two dudes are gonna tell you things are peachy if they're not.

I saw the question and answer session (Stoops, White and Coen) did with the media on fan day and, I can't remember if it was Stoops or Coen, but one of them was saying how the o-line has really progressed just a few practices in. That's the kinda news that's great to hear from whichever one it was who was saying it because neither of those two dudes are gonna tell you things are peachy if they're not.
I have faith in Coen. No BS either. I think he said "If we can keep Leary upright we have a chance." I think by saying "a chance" he is talking about big things. That was on KSR.

Our OLine was a lot like yours last season. Had I been a QB, someone would have gotten cut up right in the middle of the field. We addressed that in the portal but I have no idea what we will have until probably week 3(@California) or so. I go like the zone blocking scheme used by Coach Freeze and thinks his formations help out a bit but at best I think our line will be average for an SEC team. Don't get me wrong, that will be a huge improvement ...

Which leads me to the QB battle between Peyton Thorne and Robby Ashford. IMHO it is going to be a closer battle than you would think, especially if you look at Robby's numbers from last year. The numbers paint only a partial picture because of the line play. His shoulder was injured in the Missouri game on 24SEP and it got progressively worse from there. By the TAMU game, he couldn't throw a pass.

IMHO Thorne currently has more accuracy than Robby and has sneaky wheels as well. Robby had good accuracy deep but no touch/accuracy on the short throws ... mostly due to inexperience IMHO ... and is a home run threat while running. Unless Robby really progresses on short and medium throws, I see Peyton winning the job. I am hopeful that it is close enough to see Robby getting 10-15 snaps in the full offense per game. He has a much higher ceiling and lower floor than Peyton Thorne.

@batchaps4me
I was surfing YouTube yesterday and a couple of Auburn channels were going live over that news. It was a great pick up for us but I remind myself that until the LOI is signed, it is not a final word. Wherever he ends up, he should be a very good addition.

@batchaps4me
7099945dd88b8081388ef5ca429f555f---dodge-challenger-gonna.jpg

I have faith in Coen. No BS either. I think he said "If we can keep Leary upright we have a chance." I think by saying "a chance" he is talking about big things. That was on KSR.

Yes, indeed. That was from the interview/Q&A that I mentioned. He said that, if I remember correctly, with a little smirk on his face. Also, don't remember if it was from media day or from fan day, but Stoops just came out and straight up said we have a solid team this year. 4 weeks, bro.......4 weeks!!

Yes, indeed. That was from the interview/Q&A that I mentioned. He said that, if I remember correctly, with a little smirk on his face. Also, don't remember if it was from media day or from fan day, but Stoops just came out and straight up said we have a solid team this year. 4 weeks, bro.......4 weeks!!
I have nothing against Freeze but damn I have hoped for years that we could steal yall's coach.

Fall camp has started and many of us have new staff and we all have new players vying for positions. I am curious about everyone's evaluation of their team. Since Auburn has had a complete overhaul, I will go first:
Coaches- I am happy so far with the energy and effort the staff has put into recruiting. We signed 14 former 4 star recruits from the portal which is more than any other team. We needed it to be competitive with any of our SEC opponents this season. This past week saw us pick up commits from two four star and 2 five star recruits, FWIW ... I don't put much stock in commits until signing day. That's not a knock on the kids, a coach could say the wrong thing to momma or a spot on their dream school could open up, so it ain't over until it's over.

Where I had most concern was game management and philosophy because it has been five or so years since I have seen him call a game. A lot has changed in the NCAAF rules so I was curious enough to watch Liberty @ Wake(36-37) and @Arkansas(21-19) this week and going to watch more Liberty games this week and see how they looked in their other losses. My preliminary observations are that his team:
1. was well disciplined and fundamentally sound. There were few, perhaps two, false start/illegal shift penalties that I remember and I can't think of
any off sides. The moments were not too big for them and they didn't slow or quit when things were going against them. I hope those two things
are a part of Auburn's culture this year and have no reason to doubt they will.
2. was attacking on both sides of the ball. I don't have the skills to break down plays, you could see the concepts of all the routs on a play. It is
almost like every receiver had a purpose. Forgive me guys, but that is a new concept to Auburn football.
3. game planned. He uses formations and shifts to force favorable matchups and then took his shots with those matchups. Again, forgive me but
that is also a new concept for Auburn football.
4. overall got the best from his players. They were out talented, I would say vastly out talented, by both Wake and Arkansas, but you couldn't see
that play to play. They played as peers.

Now for a few things I didn't like:
1. The meerkat. For some reason, I have never like the team looking like meerkats at the line of scrimmage on every play. I understand the
advantages vs disadvantages but I guess I am just too old-school to like that. On balance, his NH can use pace but is not HUNH.
2. Pass/run ratio was about 58/42. Again, I am a bit old-school and would like it closer to 55/45. Hell, 40/60 would please the hell out of me ...
3. He was either slow at adjusting for certain edge players/blitzers or he just didn't have the talent to counter. In all fairness, we have all been there,
but I never saw help in the form of chip blocks from the running backs or tight ends.
4. There was not a big presence of TEs. I never saw two TE sets and rarely saw a TE on the line. This could be just a personnel or philosophy thing,
IDK. But IMHO TEs are the QB's best friend and safety valve.

I will do our QB battle later, this post is long enough even after I edited out a lot of things. What about everyone else's teams?
Am I actually supposed to read all this?