The legendary coach Bobby Bowden passed away

Bobby Bowden, FSU football coaching legend, dies at 91 (tampabay.com)

Mr. Bowden meant everything because the program he inherited in Tallahassee in 1976 was nothing like the one it is today. FSU had considered dropping the sport and was 4-29 in the four years before his arrival. The program, former receiver Roger Overby said recently, was “a mess.”
Overby’s opinion changed immediately, after Mr. Bowden’s first meeting with the team. Overby, a Robinson High alumnus, could see that his new coach was serious and ready to bring discipline to a program that needed it.
“There was no doubt in my mind things would change,” Overby said.
And they did, quickly. The turnaround started with a 5-6 first season. The next year, Mr. Bowden’s Seminoles broke through with their first ever 10-win season and a 37-9 win over the Gators that snapped a nine-game losing streak in the series and helped ignite one of the biggest rivalries in college football history.
In 1980, FSU finished No. 5 nationally — the highest ever by a state team — earning Mr. Bowden national coach of the year honors. That all set the stage for a dynasty unlike anything the state, or sport, has ever seen.
For 14 consecutive years from 1987-2000, Mr. Bowden’s Seminoles won at least 10 games and finished in the top five of the AP Poll. Not even Nick Saban’s Crimson Tide can match that streak.

“He’s as good a man as has ever walked the sideline in college football.” - Jimbo Fisher

Thanks, Coach. RIP

Bobby Bowden, FSU football coaching legend, dies at 91 (tampabay.com)

Mr. Bowden meant everything because the program he inherited in Tallahassee in 1976 was nothing like the one it is today. FSU had considered dropping the sport and was 4-29 in the four years before his arrival. The program, former receiver Roger Overby said recently, was “a mess.”
Overby’s opinion changed immediately, after Mr. Bowden’s first meeting with the team. Overby, a Robinson High alumnus, could see that his new coach was serious and ready to bring discipline to a program that needed it.
“There was no doubt in my mind things would change,” Overby said.
And they did, quickly. The turnaround started with a 5-6 first season. The next year, Mr. Bowden’s Seminoles broke through with their first ever 10-win season and a 37-9 win over the Gators that snapped a nine-game losing streak in the series and helped ignite one of the biggest rivalries in college football history.
In 1980, FSU finished No. 5 nationally — the highest ever by a state team — earning Mr. Bowden national coach of the year honors. That all set the stage for a dynasty unlike anything the state, or sport, has ever seen.
For 14 consecutive years from 1987-2000, Mr. Bowden’s Seminoles won at least 10 games and finished in the top five of the AP Poll. Not even Nick Saban’s Crimson Tide can match that streak.

“He’s as good a man as has ever walked the sideline in college football.” - Jimbo Fisher

Thanks, Coach. RIP
Yeah. I was stationed in Mayport, Fl in the early 70's and the Jax papers had people writing in talking about just tear sown the football program and forget about it.
Kinda pissed me off thinking so much for "loyal" fans. Kinda been a sideways FSU fan since.

RIP coach. You are a legend.

I've had the privilege of meeting him and introducing my younger brother to Coach Bowden.

What a great man, husband, father, grandfather, coach, and role model.RIP Coach.

If anyone wonders where my handle comes
from, it was the media covering his trick plays as a kid.

Puntrooskie anyone?

If someone can post the video where they play it and he explains it I would be very appreciative. My phone is pulling it's version of the Choke at Doak.

Last edited:
I've had the privilege of meeting him and introducing my younger brother to Coach Bowden.

What a great man, husband, father, grandfather, coach, and role model.RIP Coach.

If anyone wonders where my handle comes
from, it was the media covering his trick plays as a kid.

Puntrooskie anyone?

If someone can post the video where they play it and he explains it I would be much appreciated. My phone is pulling it's version of the Choke at Doak.

I have a cousin that was a teacher in Thomasville for many years back in the 80s and 90s. She posted this on FB Sunday evening.

"This man will be missed. Years ago I gave an assignment to my third graders to conduct an interview. One of my babies decided he wanted to do his interview with Coach Bowden. His mom called and sure enough, Mr. Bowden took the time to grant this little boy his interview. I admired him before this happened, but even greater after that day.
❤️
❤️
❤️
Rest In Peace, Coach…"

I think this says everything about the man he was and I thought all FSU fans should know about it. Please share this with all of our FSU friends on that other board.

I have a cousin that was a teacher in Thomasville for many years back in the 80s and 90s. She posted this on FB Sunday evening.

"This man will be missed. Years ago I gave an assignment to my third graders to conduct an interview. One of my babies decided he wanted to do his interview with Coach Bowden. His mom called and sure enough, Mr. Bowden took the time to grant this little boy his interview. I admired him before this happened, but even greater after that day.
❤️
❤️
❤️
Rest In Peace, Coach…"

I think this says everything about the man he was and I thought all FSU fans should know about it. Please share this with all of our FSU friends on that other board.

I got logged out over there, site and email passwords don't work, and honestly I've had too much family stuff to worry about that place for a long time.I'll try to post it though when I get a hot minute. That's a beautiful story.