The Tomato Thread

Bama Believer

18 and Counting! Roll Tide!!!
i remember my mother always saying that my paw paw said to plant on Good Friday! I think weather patterns have shifted since I was a boy and this may end up being too early, there could be another frost coming, but I put out 3 tomato plants and 2 jalapeno plants just now :p 🙏

Im not sure, but I think an Alabama tomato fresh from the garden is about the best there is,, i cant imagine one better,, it could be though, that you people in Tennessee and Kentucky may be just as proud of yalls. I'd love to hear about it.

I should have a vine ripened Tomato by July 1st, which is my Birthday, and I really want that first Tomato Sammich of the year on my birthday :cool:

i planted this spot last year the most of the first tomatos had end rot, which I looked up and found out the soil had a calcium deficiency, they suggested egg shells, I have been eating boiled eggs and saving the shells for a few months now, also put a small stick in the ground next to the plant trunk to keep cut worms from squeezing off the plants.

This spot gets full sun this time of year and till late fall.IMG_20240329_105151838_HDR.jpg

i remember my mother always saying that my paw paw said to plant on Good Friday! I think weather patterns have shifted since I was a boy and this may end up being too early, there could be another frost coming, but I put out 3 tomato plants and 2 jalapeno plants just now :p 🙏

Im not sure, but I think an Alabama tomato fresh from the garden is about the best there is,, i cant imagine one better,, it could be though, that you people in Tennessee and Kentucky may be just as proud of yalls. I'd love to hear about it.

I should have a vine ripened Tomato by July 1st, which is my Birthday, and I really want that first Tomato Sammich of the year on my birthday :cool:

i planted this spot last year the most of the first tomatos had end rot, which I looked up and found out the soil had a calcium deficiency, they suggested egg shells, I have been eating boiled eggs and saving the shells for a few months now, also put a small stick in the ground next to the plant trunk to keep cut worms from squeezing off the plants.

This spot gets full sun this time of year and till late fall.View attachment 27283
Add some coffee grounds occasionally. A trick my Pop used. His plants typically got to about 6 feet and produced most of the summer.

This spot gets full sun this time of year and till late fall.View attachment 27283
Nothing like a great home grown tomato to remind one of their long-departed parents who grew fantastic tomatoes.

Pops has been gone nearly 13 years now. Hard to believe it's been that long. I still ask him questions every day, and he still answers my questions.
Will be 30 years this October. Few of my regrets are as great as the questions I never asked him about the years before we knew each other … his time as a boy, as a young man, as a Nazi killer, as a man starting a family.

The man knew how to grow a fantastic damn tomato. 😊

Good Lort! Your neighbor's yard looks like a mini-cemetery. Should be good fertilizer. lol

Will be 30 years this October. Few of my regrets are as great as the questions I never asked him about the years before we knew each other … his time as a boy, as a young man, as a Nazi killer, as a man starting a family.

The man knew how to grow a fantastic damn tomato. 😊
So many people that dont like tomatoes, suddenly love the home grown tomatoes when introduced and tasted. The groceries and burger chain tomatoes suck. No wonder they hate them....