To my fellow veterans…

RTR...USN (ret)

Shore Patrol
Staff member
9534CAC1-D104-4070-A3BD-6F93B9827972.jpeg

Thank you, regardless of which branch you served in for your willingness to do the job that needed doing,
What your duties and responsibilities were are irrelevant to me. You made a choice to serve, and for that you have my utmost respect.
We don’t always agree, and our vision and opinions vary. Those are the qualities that help make us unique.
Regardless of what your branch was I consider you my brother.
Thank you, for doing your part.

ECLhncUWwAAVUUw.jpg

Not retired but I could try to help. On another uniform note, I got rid of all my old BDU’s a few months ago because the only part of that uniform that still fit was my boots.
My son is on track to retire in a few years. Retirees are allowed to wear their uniforms as long as his appearance is within regulation. My questions are does he have to wear the uniform of his MOS at retirement or that of any of his primary MOSs in his career. Will he be able to wear his blue cord and 82nd unit patch or no cord and a USAREC patch.

My son is on track to retire in a few years. Retirees are allowed to wear their uniforms as long as his appearance is within regulation. My questions are does he have to wear the uniform of his MOS at retirement or that of any of his primary MOSs in his career. Will he be able to wear his blue cord and 82nd unit patch or no cord and a USAREC patch.

He should be able to wear any of those he chooses as he earned all of them.

Spent yesterday afternoon and last night boozing with some old Marine buddies, some I’ve known for 20+ years. The stories get taller and waistlines get bigger but I cherished every second of that! Was good to see complete strangers come up and offer their thanks of service here in hippy dippy Kalifornia too. I know today is for all of us but I’ve always been a tad envious about the USMC birthday and the way you all so fervently celebrate it. Most of those guys have been all over the world many times over while my ass was stuck at Ft Riley Kansas for years. Ugh. Cheers to all veterans, peace officers and everyone who has offered up themselves in a selfless way.

Most of those guys have been all over the world many times over while my ass was stuck at Ft Riley Kansas for years.
I was in my third interview for a job and was told something like "your military experience would transfer to almost any civilian job". I quickly added, "Not a travel planner. I went to AR basic training from JUN-AUG in Alabama and the Navy basic at Great Lakes, IL from DEC-FEB. I joined the navy to see the world, went around it twice submerged and didn't see a damned thing." The senior interviewer almost fell out of his chair laughing.

Spent yesterday afternoon and last night boozing with some old Marine buddies, some I’ve known for 20+ years. The stories get taller and waistlines get bigger but I cherished every second of that! Was good to see complete strangers come up and offer their thanks of service here in hippy dippy Kalifornia too. I know today is for all of us but I’ve always been a tad envious about the USMC birthday and the way you all so fervently celebrate it. Most of those guys have been all over the world many times over while my ass was stuck at Ft Riley Kansas for years. Ugh. Cheers to all veterans, peace officers and everyone who has offered up themselves in a selfless way.
I know we get a lot of grief out here in California, and rightfully so, but I can vouch for the area I live in that active and those who’s waistlines have since expanded get recognized on a consistent basis.

I bet it’s safe to say that every store and restaurant, big and small, in town gives veterans discounts. Several city events going on today to honor our vets.

Every Friday at my wife’s school they have “flag salute” day where all the students in the morning gather on the field and in addition to doing the pledge, they have all active and veteran military parents come forward where they acknowledge their service.

I look around and worry. So much has changed since I joined the Corps 38 years ago. Yet here we are. On Veteran's Day, each year, I make a special point to thank those so much younger that made the decision to serve. "Thank you, for taking your turn." It's hard to explain to those that aren't veterans why all of us chose that path. For my fellow Vets, it's an unspoken understanding. I sincerely thank you all that served. Your decision touches that small place in my soul that led me to make my personal decision all those years ago.