Totally stolen from my home board:

I would have no issue with this at all. Just playing devils advocate, are we looking for the 4 best teams? The at-large team with the best record. Say you have 3 at large with 10-2, then what?
That's the problem. This whole "AT-LARGE" argument. Leaves wiggle room for more bellyaching about whichever "at-large" team gets chosen over others.

I would have no issue with this at all. Just playing devils advocate, are we looking for the 4 best teams? The at-large team with the best record. Say you have 3 at large with 10-2, then what?
Who knows! This was just a scenario thrown out there by a Fox Gameday guy. To me it looked better than what they are doing with the four team playoff system

That's the problem. This whole "AT-LARGE" argument. Leaves wiggle room for more bellyaching about whichever "at-large" team gets chosen over others.
Who knows! This was just a scenario thrown out there by a Fox Gameday guy. To me it looked better than what they are doing with the four team playoff system

Once a "playoff" is in place it will continue to grow. 4, 8, 12, 16, 24, 32, 64, 68.......etc...

It's a combination of the "what if/everybody deserves a trophy" world we live in.

"If butterflies had machine guns, birds wouldn't fuck with them and losers don't deserve a chance at a fucking trophy." <<FACTS

I say fuck 'em. Why can't you just be happy with your team having a damn good season?.......The way it used to be.

Once a "playoff" is in place it will continue to grow. 4, 8, 12, 16, 24, 32, 64, 68.......etc...

It's a combination of the "what if/everybody deserves a trophy" world we live in.

"If butterflies had machine guns, birds wouldn't fuck with them and losers don't deserve a chance at a fucking trophy." <<FACTS

I say fuck 'em. Why can't you just be happy with your team having a damn good season?.......The way it used to be.
True enough but one problem lies in that everyone wants a champion. Another problem is how to achieve one. People/fans aren't about to accept anything less

Thanks Utes99!!!

‘SEC is the only league that matters’ nightmare finish:

LSU beats Alabama next week. Bama drops to 4th, wins the rest and finishes season with 1 loss.

Georgia wins out and beats LSU in the SEC championship , LSU (1-loss) drops to maybe 3, and Georgia (1-loss SEC champ) jumps into the top 4.

Georgia (4), LSU (3), Bama (2) and Clemson (1) make the playoff only because the committee can’t figure out a way to get Florida in too.
Hey, we may have another fluke win over a top four team, and beat the taters. Walah! Florida's in!

I'm ok with 6 teams playoffs with the top 2 seeds get a bye. I want regular season games count for something. With 8 or more teams you'd prolly have more than 1 team with 10-2.

I'm ok with 6 teams playoffs with the top 2 seeds get a bye. I want regular season games count for something. With 8 or more teams you'd prolly have more than 1 team with 10-2.
Well, considering we have teams with a losing record to fill all the bowl game slots, it stands to reason a 10-3, 10-2 or a 9-3(4) team could get in.

Yeah. There are those who would be happy with a good season and a decent bowl game. But, don't you think people saw the community college in fantasy land get a participation trophy because they whined cried and squealed loud and long enuff?

It's similar to "March Madness" for football, but with a LOT fewer teams...
Sounds cool! But not as cool! If you are in an Elite 8, means you are in solid company and anybody can win. Of course, Final four is better, but you get a chance to get there.

See, the system we have now dives right into the Final Four and bypasses all of the superfluous games! ;)
Hopefully that works out for you like it has been, but you may be singing a different tune after Saturday and years to come with a one loss. Almost everybody has a bad game and the one losses are debatable sometimes. It almost comes down to a perfect season. Clemson is stepping into a near miss as a possible one seed, depending on the end of the season. Eight is perfect to me and I would be against a 16 team playoff!

Hopefully that works out for you like it has been, but you may be singing a different tune after Saturday and years to come with a one loss. Almost everybody has a bad game and the one losses are debatable sometimes. It almost comes down to a perfect season. Clemson is stepping into a near miss as a possible one seed, depending on the end of the season. Eight is perfect to me and I would be against a 16 team playoff!
I'm against 16, and not crazy about 8. Personally as another poster stated I prefer 6, with the 1 and 2 seeds getting a first round bye. The regular season matters to me, and if you keep expanding the playoff then the regular season games will suffer. If Bama gets left out due to one loss and a more deserving team gets in then so be it.

I'm against 16, and not crazy about 8. Personally as another poster stated I prefer 6, with the 1 and 2 seeds getting a first round bye. The regular season matters to me, and if you keep expanding the playoff then the regular season games will suffer. If Bama gets left out due to one loss and a more deserving team gets in then so be it.
You say that now, you may change your stance (or not) if time goes by and you end up on the wrong end of the stick for several years. Just saying!

Ohio State probably would've been in the playoffs every year if it was 6-8 teams but I like 4. Six would be ok and 8 at the absolute max.
8 Teams is the magic number, given that Saban's idea of a +1 after the bowl games did not gain traction, and would have been the solution. Great teams can have a bad week. Reference is 2008. Utah the previously ranked #6 (and not in an AQ conference) came into bowl season #6, but ended up #2 and the only undefeated team in that season. Never had the opportunity to win it all... BCS was better than what was there before, the CFP is better than the BCS. There is room for improvement. This has been my stance for years...