Anyone near the train derailment?

Story just keeps getting wilder and wilder.

Again. People are learning the monsters that executives for railroads are.

"We will inspect your home, but sign this waiver first" what does it do? Oh it clears NS of wrong doing and litigation in the future.

All of the sudden NS is all "that isn't the form that was supposed to be handed out"

But no mention about why the people going door to door would even have these forms, if not to hand them out.

I pray for the people going through this. Because the railroad is going to deny, deny, deny.

So explain to me. How this caused the derailment. Connect the dots for me.
I don't disagree with anything you have said. Let me say this to start out, NS is the root cause and is solely responsible for the derailment and damage. That does not in any way, shape, form or fashion relieve the government of responsibility for their complicity in the deregulation nor response to the disaster.

I don't disagree with anything you have said. Let me say this to start out, NS is the root cause and is solely responsible for the derailment and damage. That does not in any way, shape, form or fashion relieve the government of responsibility for their complicity in the deregulation nor response to the disaster.

Don't get me sideways. I am no fan of this administration. And will not make any excuses for them. Again. I started this whole thing stating one of the biggest causes of this is deregulation. I spent years in this industry and watched the dangers being introduced. Which is why I offered to answer questions without a media bias or spin. But what actually is or could cause this.

My only arguments earlier. Is that the DoT has no place in disaster relief nor does rather you publicly tweet or make a statement about this even change the event happening.

I 1000% believe that Gov DeWine should have from day 1 asked for all the help he can get. From anyone he can get it from. And that the federal government along with the railroad be lining up all the relief they can muster.

Don't get me sideways. I am no fan of this administration. And will not make any excuses for them. Again. I started this whole thing stating one of the biggest causes of this is deregulation. I spent years in this industry and watched the dangers being introduced. Which is why I offered to answer questions without a media bias or spin. But what actually is or could cause this.

My only arguments earlier. Is that the DoT has no place in disaster relief nor does rather you publicly tweet or make a statement about this even change the event happening.

I 1000% believe that Gov DeWine should have from day 1 asked for all the help he can get. From anyone he can get it from. And that the federal government along with the railroad be lining up all the relief they can muster.
Again, there is not one thing that you have said with which I disagree. IMHO the 'precision railroading' model was a disaster waiting to happen. And it's not just the rails but our entire supply chain that have adopted the Kanban or just in time systems. It makes all things safety secondary to the schedule.

Are they still hauling old nerve/mustard gas by rail?

There is almost nothing that won't be moved by rail. Including nuclear waste.

One of the more common chemicals that we carried in large bulk being in the mid west was Anhydrous Ammonia. It is used heavily in farming. However in concentrated gas form it will kill without delay. Look it up online.

Again. For how close these rails get to major population centers. Or high end housing developments. It amazes me this doesn't happen more often. And there isn't bigger outrage when it does.

Story just keeps getting wilder and wilder.

Again. People are learning the monsters that executives for railroads are.

"We will inspect your home, but sign this waiver first" what does it do? Oh it clears NS of wrong doing and litigation in the future.

All of the sudden NS is all "that isn't the form that was supposed to be handed out"

But no mention about why the people going door to door would even have these forms, if not to hand them out.

I pray for the people going through this. Because the railroad is going to deny, deny, deny.
What an absolute shit show.

What an absolute shit show.

It absolutely is.

But again. This is the railroad way. Their line of thinking. No matter what. Is cost vs risk. To them an occasional incident like this is baked into the bottom line. And just the cost of doing business. So they buy additional insurance platforms or keep X amount available in liquidity for drop of the hat payments. And call it a day.

Where was the train headed to "dispose" of that stuff?
There is specialized facilities around the country for cleaning a car out if it actually needs purged for a new use. More often then not it is reused for the same hazardous over and over and doesn't need as deep of a cleaning.

Generally speaking the safest cars on the railroad are food cars. I.e. they carry milk, or raw liquids for making food. As they require a lot tighter regulations on decontamination every trip. For instance one of our routes in Chicago took us to the Nibisco factory and the Mars Candy bar factory. And their stuff had a lot of rules.

Again, there is not one thing that you have said with which I disagree. IMHO the 'precision railroading' model was a disaster waiting to happen. And it's not just the rails but our entire supply chain that have adopted the Kanban or just in time systems. It makes all things safety secondary to the schedule.
But pipelines are bad.

There is specialized facilities around the country for cleaning a car out if it actually needs purged for a new use. More often then not it is reused for the same hazardous over and over and doesn't need as deep of a cleaning.

Generally speaking the safest cars on the railroad are food cars. I.e. they carry milk, or raw liquids for making food. As they require a lot tighter regulations on decontamination every trip. For instance one of our routes in Chicago took us to the Nibisco factory and the Mars Candy bar factory. And their stuff had a lot of rules.
I guess I meant where ultimately was this this specific train's destination with the chemicals?

I guess I meant where ultimately was this this specific train's destination with the chemicals?
They are delivered to co ops and farms. Unloaded used specialized equipment into pressurized trailer tanks and then the farmers drive them down the road to the farm

Precision Railroading is a model invented by a guy named Hunter Harrison. Over the last 15 to 30 years (until his recent death that is) He was kind of the Nick Saban of Railroad CEO. He went from company to company gobbling and buying.

With Precision Railroading. The basic goal is fewer, longer, trains. That require fewer crews and overall engines to power. Since those are the most expensive parts of long distance Railroading

However in practice it leads to a million problems