I love hearing from people who...

Say stuff like:

My grandparents owned a farm...

I grew up on a farm....

I spent summers on a farm...

Etc.

If you don't operate a farm yourself, you really don't understand the sweat-blood-tears that go into it. Try doing what you saw happen for 24-7-365 for years.

Much respect, brother. I ain't gonna lie. I couldn't do what you do, day in, and day out......and I've seen first hand what you do.

I spent my summers on my grandparents farm in north Texas from the time I was 5 thru 16. Getting up at 4 in the morning and working til dark. First thing I learned to drive was a Ford 8N tractor when I was 8. Walking through 300 acres of cotton cutting weeds, row by row with a hand held hoe. Shooting jackrabbits as big as dogs from the bed of a farm truck. Shooting coyotes and hanging them from the fence posts. Helping my grandmother can veggies from the garden for root cellar storage. Washing clothes on a washboard with a hand crank wringer. Man, I wouldn’t trade those days for nothing.

I spent my summers on my grandparents farm in north Texas from the time I was 5 thru 16. Getting up at 4 in the morning and working til dark. First thing I learned to drive was a Ford 8N tractor when I was 8. Walking through 300 acres of cotton cutting weeds, row by row with a hand held hoe. Shooting jackrabbits as big as dogs from the bed of a farm truck. Shooting coyotes and hanging them from the fence posts. Helping my grandmother can veggies from the garden for root cellar storage. Washing clothes on a washboard with a hand crank wringer. Man, I wouldn’t trade those days for nothing.

source.gif

Ignore this guy Nod, he doesn't feel our pain.

People forget where their food comes from. The United States has the safest and most productive food system in the world. But there are powerful people and organizations that think what we do is bad for the environment or is abuse to animals. They fail to see how far that our system has evolved just in the last 10 years let alone the last 50 to 100. They are the same people who think that we should adopt the farming practices of a century ago not realizing that if we did the country and half of the world would stave. With conservation practices today we have the cleanest water in decades, possibly in a century, or more, and animal husbandry practices have changed dramatically as well in the same time period, and we produce enough food to not only feed the nation but a good chunk of the world on less and less land than ever.

People forget where their food comes from. The United States has the safest and most productive food system in the world. But there are powerful people and organizations that think what we do is bad for the environment or is abuse to animals. They fail to see how far that our system has evolved just in the last 10 years let alone the last 50 to 100. They are the same people who think that we should adopt the farming practices of a century ago not realizing that if we did the country and half of the world would stave. With conservation practices today we have the cleanest water in decades, possibly in a century, or more, and animal husbandry practices have changed dramatically as well in the same time period, and we produce enough food to not only feed the nation but a good chunk of the world on less and less land than ever.
This is true. And half of what we produce goes to waste. Meaning that if we produced twice as much as we do now - not a single additional person would be fed. We don't have a supply problem, we have a distribution problem.

But I am a fan of some of the farming methods from a century ago. I think there's really something to be said for multi-species farms. If you haven't, you should check out Joel Salatin. There's a good episode of JRE with him on it.

This is true. And half of what we produce goes to waste. Meaning that if we produced twice as much as we do now - not a single additional person would be fed. We don't have a supply problem, we have a distribution problem.

But I am a fan of some of the farming methods from a century ago. I think there's really something to be said for multi-species farms. If you haven't, you should check out Joel Salatin. There's a good episode of JRE with him on it.
Oh no doubt there are some great things that we can take from our ancestors, crop rotation, grazing practices, and the like, of which the pure row crop farmer does not do.

Yeah, I guess having no experience in running a farm 24/7 discounts any experience at all. Nice going!