I love hearing from people who...

Kudos my friend. I have nothing against that at all!

Its not a job (lifestyle) that everyone is cut out for. And folks like @Copejunkie have my undying respect because that's their only livelihood. I have an "8-5" that I fall back on. His and my goals are different, but the work is the same (or similar).

And yes, we need tradesmen, and bankers and lawyers and businessmen, doctors, etc. But, my point is that I wouldn't assume because I worked for a title company while in college that I should give advise to someone in the surety or real estate business. I don't know your trade, but I've likely done some of it in my day-to-day operations. I'd most definitely not try to give you advice on a project you were running.

I'm not trying to come off as condescending. I hope most of you know that's not the type of person I am. I guess my main point of this thread was to vent a little, as @Hard2Bluff said.
Nothing wrong with venting. And believe me. I have all due respect for farmers. Esp since it seems the gov ain't on friendly terms with farmers. Just an observation there.

Prolly should have added this to my post. I'm a certified electric motor rewinder. Anything from fractional hp motors to high thousands of hp 13,000 volt big ass honkers. My education is in computers and between the 2 I have done engineering work in the Electric Motor Industry. And I have been in a position several times where I had to make decisions that if wrong could bankrupt a company. And thru it all I have really enjoyed that line of work

I’m am fortunate enough to have learned from the school of hard knocks. I started my first business on my own with no assistance and it still operates today. Not only have I dealt with numerous banks for loans, I have also lost everything from my home and vehicles , my credit, and my pride (9-11 killed everything for years). All of it completely out of my control. I learned through that nightmare that I was too credit dependent and not diversified enough. I took steps to eliminate the need for borrowing money and now operate on my own profits. One thing I didn’t do was sulk and whine about it. I did what I needed to do to survive and the companies are better for it.
In the last 20 years of farm operation, It only made a profit 1 year of 30K. The other years it lost money which made it almost impossible to borrow money for the next years start up. We had to collateral farm property numerous times and do loss carryovers to new loans. I worked that farm as much as I could, along with my family members to learn........it wasn’t a life I wanted. I watched it kill my father, my uncle, and both my grandparents. You don’t farm to make money......you farm for the lifestyle.
If NOD was venting then so be it. I wasn’t trying to start a dam fight. But too assume I know nothing about that industry and to be told “shut up stupid” dam sure rubbed me the wrong way. My apologies to those of you I may have offended.
Have a blessed day!
Kudos to you for your perseverance in the face of hard times and the stamina to see it through. No worries.

Nothing wrong with venting. And believe me. I have all due respect for farmers. Esp since it seems the gov ain't on friendly terms with farmers. Just an observation there.

Prolly should have added this to my post. I'm a certified electric motor rewinder. Anything from fractional hp motors to high thousands of hp 13,000 volt big ass honkers. My education is in computers and between the 2 I have done engineering work in the Electric Motor Industry. And I have been in a position several times where I had to make decisions that if wrong could bankrupt a company. And thru it all I have really enjoyed that line of work
That's pretty cool I was talking to a guy last night at my kid's school play that works at a power plant and is basically their head mechanic and is rebuilding a 4000 horse electric motor. He said a big sprocket that is on a worm gear that was not shimmed right from the manufacturer ground itself down sending fines all through the motor and bearings. He said he doubts it will ever run again because they will never get all the shavings out.

That's pretty cool I was talking to a guy last night at my kid's school play that works at a power plant and is basically their head mechanic and is rebuilding a 4000 horse electric motor. He said a big sprocket that is on a worm gear that was not shimmed right from the manufacturer ground itself down sending fines all through the motor and bearings. He said he doubts it will ever run again because they will never get all the shavings out.
Interesting. Something like that can cost big bucks. And if it's a manufacture's fault shouldn't they do some paying up? I've seen some pretty messed up equipment over the years that can get fixed and some that just need to be scrapped. Percentage of cost to fix vs new decision.

Interesting. Something like that can cost big bucks. And if it's a manufacture's fault shouldn't they do some paying up? I've seen some pretty messed up equipment over the years that can get fixed and some that just need to be scrapped. Percentage of cost to fix vs new decision.
He told me that 3 years ago he sent the worm gear back to be reshimmed but they didnt want the bearings that it runs on. He wondered how they would get it shimmed right without the bearings. So he figures it's their fault.

People forget where their food comes from. The United States has the safest and most productive food system in the world. But there are powerful people and organizations that think what we do is bad for the environment or is abuse to animals. They fail to see how far that our system has evolved just in the last 10 years let alone the last 50 to 100. They are the same people who think that we should adopt the farming practices of a century ago not realizing that if we did the country and half of the world would stave. With conservation practices today we have the cleanest water in decades, possibly in a century, or more, and animal husbandry practices have changed dramatically as well in the same time period, and we produce enough food to not only feed the nation but a good chunk of the world on less and less land than ever.

I think everyone capable should have to grow their own, shoot their own, and catch their own at least once, and process it.

I think everyone capable should have to grow their own, shoot their own, and catch their own at least once, and process it.
It is important to know and develop the skills to be independent. I try to do this by watching masters at their craft, asking questions to learn the slights of their skills. Far different from jumping into a job that requires daily hard labor, planning for the future, dealing with unexpected losses and relying on a tenuous market. I am fortunate to live in a rural area where I can seasonally buy directly from the producers...

Like, you literally sit there and watch?

sex and the city GIF

coincidentally,
i rebuilt a carb on a harley today -
lil s&s super shorty e -

View attachment 1805
When the sun comes back up got to do the same on my Sporty. The main jet is clogged. My bikes had been sitting since my shoulder surgery. I parked with ethanol free but did not crank enough. The Heritage and scooter are fine. The dual sports also needed some work. Oh well.

Back to the thread. I grew up with farming Grand Parents and since they were older spent a lot of time essentially running both farms. Put in newer farming methods and crop rotation etc. As I got older I found someone to farm the land on a rental basis for them to have income. When one died I could have bought the farm (no pun intended) for a song but that life was not my forte.

My best friend has a picture of an IH sitting in the field in his office. The reason it is just like the one he parked after plowing that day before going off to medical school. Everyone should do what they want as long as they are happy.

I do investments. One part is running the bank's portfolio. A couple of months ago our custodian had a meeting for it's banks. One speaker said we have 194 banks and the unrealized portfolio gain is .6 to .8 of a percent. I stood up and said mine is 18% but yes I do get people trying to tell me how to do it. That is until they find out our returns. But the sad part is during the discussion our CFO was sitting there and it went right over her head. When you run the most successful portfolio in several states and probably the US with no recognition it is a pain.

Pulling the plug next month. However keeping my license active so they can keep the program. In return they will pay all the residuals and any new business to me. In return I will keep the 401 compliant and if/when rates rise buy bonds for the portfolio. But I can do it without being here. Sitting behind this desk will kill me. End of my rant.

Nod I can understand. When I get some yahoo calling me asking how I run my portfolio and how great they are I let him run down and tell him our returns etc. They ask how I buy bonds and they might get me better. I tell them at institutional auctions just like your trader does. They ask how I am able to do that. I tell them that is not important I just do. I rarely get any more phone calls. Feels good to get that out.

Last edited:
I grew up on a parcel that was probably almost 1/10 of an acre. My brother and I were responsible for mowing the lawn. Most summers would provide enough rain so that it needed to be cut every week, but if not, my Dad had those underground sprinklers ready to go. FML.

That's not all. It was a corner lot, which means more trimming and edging. And if you think it was OK to leave grass clippings on the sidewalk, well I guess you never saw me firing up the blower. Sometimes my brother would leave the gas tank empty...keep in mind, this is a 2 stroke engine, so I'd then have to spend another minute mixing the gas and oil. Even then, it didnt always start on the first pull. Yep, more work for me.

Depending on weather, sometimes I would break a sweat. Other times it would rain. I dont know if you've ever had a soaking wet shirt clinging to you as you walk behind a self-propelled Toro, but its really uncomfortable. The only relief comes from changing your shirt when the work is done. That's 1 more shirt for my Mom to wash before she makes dinner for me.

I'd tell you guys about what's involved in clearing snow in the winter but I'm not sure you can handle it.

I grew up on a parcel that was probably almost 1/10 of an acre. My brother and I were responsible for mowing the lawn. Most summers would provide enough rain so that it needed to be cut every week, but if not, my Dad had those underground sprinklers ready to go. FML.

That's not all. It was a corner lot, which means more trimming and edging. And if you think it was OK to leave grass clippings on the sidewalk, well I guess you never saw me firing up the blower. Sometimes my brother would leave the gas tank empty...keep in mind, this is a 2 stroke engine, so I'd then have to spend another minute mixing the gas and oil. Even then, it didnt always start on the first pull. Yep, more work for me.

Depending on weather, sometimes I would break a sweat. Other times it would rain. I dont know if you've ever had a soaking wet shirt clinging to you as you walk behind a self-propelled Toro, but its really uncomfortable. The only relief comes from changing your shirt when the work is done. That's 1 more shirt for my Mom to wash before she makes dinner for me.

I'd tell you guys about what's involved in clearing snow in the winter but I'm not sure you can handle it.
You're one tough SOB.