Pappy van Winkle

Bama Believer

18 and Counting! Roll Tide!!!
I've never had it,, just start with that,,
I've heard its the best bourbon you can buy. For years they wouldnt even sell it in Alabama.. I think there was some bad blood between my state and the distillers meaning we pissed em off somehow.. I did see a year ago that they were going to release a few bottles to only 3 stores in Bama so maybe they reconciled..
any-hoo, reading online, they only make a very limited supply each year and they put out release dates for when they go on sale.. also reading that the suggested retail price is unicorn like in nature because the mark up is well over the msrp...

My question,, is it worth it or is it just so limited that its more a way for rich people to impress each other? the 23 year old probably cant be had by anyone like me for less than a arm, leg, or first born.

The Van Winkle collection might be considered pricey by some, but connoisseurs believe it's totally worth it.
Here are the whiskeys and their suggested retail prices for 2019:

• $69.99 - Old Rip Van Winkle Handmade Bourbon 10 Year Old 107 proof
  • $79.99 – Old Rip Van Winkle Special Reserve Bourbon 12 Year Old
  • $119.99 – Old Rip Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 Year Old
  • $119.99 - Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 15 Year Old
  • $199.99 - Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 20 Year Old
  • $299.90 – Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 23 Year Old
Julian Van Winkle, the president of Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery, said in a press release that his company "cannot control the price retailers charge, so some retailers mark it up beyond our MSRP, even though we ask them not to."
That means they set the "S" in MSRP, but it's ultimately truly the manufacturer's suggested retail price. However, Van Winkle continued, his distillery is “committed to releasing a quality product and hope retailers will honor what we suggest as a fair retail price.”
Van Winkle whiskeys win a lot of awards. Just a couple of examples: At the 2018 New York International Spirits Competition the 20-year-old took double gold as the best bourbon and best small batch bourbon. Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible for 2019 awarded the 15-year-old Best Bourbon in the 11-15 Years Old category.
The 2019 Van Winkle Whiskey collection will be available in limited supply beginning in November.

Attachments

• 1576767574733.png
    1576767574733.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
I've had Pappy on several occasions, Vegas and NOLA being the places where it's readily available most of the time. It's all hype, just like the current Blantons hype. Is it really good bourbon? Yes. Are there plenty of other really good bourbons you can buy everyday for 1/5 of the cost? Yes.

Bourbon is no different than any other food/drink, it's all opinion based. And more often than not, something tastes better/worse depending on the environment in which you're drinking it. For example, the best bourbon I've ever had was Basil Hayden's on Halloween several years ago. My wife and I and another couple were getting ready to go to a party none of us really wanted to go to. We were sitting on the porch passing around the bottle. As it got closer to time to leave, we collectively said "fuck it" and never left the porch. A few hours and laughs later, the bottle was empty, and it was the best tasting bourbon I've ever had.

I've had Pappy on several occasions, Vegas and NOLA being the places where it's readily available most of the time. It's all hype, just like the current Blantons hype. Is it really good bourbon? Yes. Are there plenty of other really good bourbons you can buy everyday for 1/5 of the cost? Yes.

Bourbon is no different than any other food/drink, it's all opinion based. And more often than not, something tastes better/worse depending on the environment in which you're drinking it. For example, the best bourbon I've ever had was Basil Hayden's on Halloween several years ago. My wife and I and another couple were getting ready to go to a party none of us really wanted to go to. We were sitting on the porch passing around the bottle. As it got closer to time to leave, we collectively said "fuck it" and never left the porch. A few hours and laughs later, the bottle was empty, and it was the best tasting bourbon I've ever had.

I also got a bottle of Basil Hayden's as a wedding gift. Very good flavorful bourbon, but not nearly as smooth as the Wellers or the Edgar T. Glee. I think the flavor of bourbon takes a back seat to the smoothness. If you've never had Weller's wheat bourbon, you really do need to try it. The smoothness is amazing.

I wonder if I drove to kentucky, went in a bar and ordered a shot of it,, if it would really be legit.. I used to work in a bar that saved the empty expensive bottles of Patron and refill them with Pepe Lopez... we called it pepe patron lol..

That is so wrong on so many levels. But when it's all said and done, if getting drunk is all that matters, I ain't gonna bitch.

That poor bastard. Does he admit to knowing you? I mean, you are related to me, so you got that bad mark against you already.
I once served on a board with his wife, been to their home. They moved here from out west. A bit reclusive, some think they may be in the federal witness protection program. As to you being a bad mark, I've got cousins on my mother's side that make you look like a national man of the year candidate.

I also got a bottle of Basil Hayden's as a wedding gift. Very good flavorful bourbon, but not nearly as smooth as the Wellers or the Edgar T. Glee. I think the flavor of bourbon takes a back seat to the smoothness. If you've never had Weller's wheat bourbon, you really do need to try it. The smoothness is amazing.
Pappy starts out as Wellers. They just leave it in the barrel longer. If you ever make it through here again I might be able to scrounge up a bottle.

I'm going to have to get a bottle of this sometime, I really like bourbons and rye's/irish whiskeys. You all can join me too. I'll share. Middleton and Johnny Walker blue are fantastic as far as I'm concerned, just over priced for my budget. My normal drinker is Cedar ridge single malt and is darn good and their bourbon is more than acceptable and at a good price, So is tullamore dew

I remember this, from 2018, theft occured in 2013:

The ringleader of a whiskey theft operation in Kentucky was sentenced to 15 years in prison Friday for his role in siphoning tens of thousands of dollars' worth of bourbon from a pair of distilleries.
Having secured a place in Kentucky lore as "Pappygate," the thefts included hard-to-get and pricey brands such as Pappy Van Winkle bourbon that were hauled under a tarp to potential buyers. The local sheriff estimated the recovered whiskey was worth at least $100,000.
The sentencing of former distillery worker Gilbert "Toby" Curtsinger on Friday means the celebrated case is close to winding down. Of the 10 people indicted after the scheme was uncovered in 2015, one case is still pending.
Curtsinger did not give a statement before being sentenced in Franklin County Circuit Court in Frankfort. The one-time Buffalo Trace distillery employee pleaded guilty last year to charges that included theft by unlawful taking and receiving stolen property.

Last edited:
Animated GIF