So I am going to buy a portable table saw

Late to the thread here and I’m TLDR for my goofy ass but don’t do what my brother did…sprints into Home Depot for a deal on a spanking brand new drill and runs home to put it in his pickup tool box only to see the same fucking drill already in there. Man….

Last edited:
I need wheels and skid bar on the stand ... we are too broken down to carry shit, especially up and down stairs. Most of the time he is the only craftsman on the job site. For me personally, it ain't portable unless it is self propelled.
That one in the pic you quoted is battery powered. They are very light and easy to carry. DeWalt and Milwaukee both make cordless table saws. If you get a cordless, just get whichever brand of cordless tools your brother already has. I have that cordless Milwaukee, and it’s great. I also have the larger DeWalt that folds up and has wheels. It’s a good saw, but I never use it anymore Since I bought the cordless.

That one in the pic you quoted is battery powered. They are very light and easy to carry. DeWalt and Milwaukee both make cordless table saws. If you get a cordless, just get whichever brand of cordless tools your brother already has. I have that cordless Milwaukee, and it’s great. I also have the larger DeWalt that folds up and has wheels. It’s a good saw, but I never use it anymore Since I bought the cordless.
I did not consider battery powered saws for a couple of reasons with reliability being the first. Not that the saws aren't reliable, but he spends a lot on batteries as it is. His batteries/tools are stored in his service van and the seasonably hot/cold conditions in the van kills battery life. He probably averages buying four or more batteries a year without the saw. Also, he builds a lot of decks and I wanted to get him a table saw that will cut through 4X4s in a single cut and handle pressure treated lumber easily.

I have 3 DeWalt drills. How can a man look at another man, and allow him to live life with only one screwdriver?
81d+unAjzCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I did not consider battery powered saws for a couple of reasons with reliability being the first. Not that the saws aren't reliable, but he spends a lot on batteries as it is. His batteries/tools are stored in his service van and the seasonably hot/cold conditions in the van kills battery life. He probably averages buying four or more batteries a year without the saw. Also, he builds a lot of decks and I wanted to get him a table saw that will cut through 4X4s in a single cut and handle pressure treated lumber easily.
No 10” table saws will cut all the way through a 4x4. You can’t even rip a 4x4 with a Delta unisaw in one pass. If you buy him a table saw that will cut through a 4x4, it will cost you $4k for a lower priced 12” saw and it certainly won’t be portable.

This is the one you want

No 10” table saws will cut all the way through a 4x4. You can’t even rip a 4x4 with a Delta unisaw in one pass. If you buy him a table saw that will cut through a 4x4, it will cost you $4k for a lower priced 12” saw and it certainly won’t be portable.

Not doubting you one bit, but it seems odd that a 10" saw fully cranked up doesn't even go up 4" (less because a 4x4 isn't actually 4" is it...like 3 3/4 finished or something like that?). About how high up does the blade come out of the table on a 10" saw ya think? When I had a table saw, I never had to cut anything thicker than a 2x4, so I never really paid much attention......

Guess if he wants his brother to be able to cut a 4x4 in one cut, he'd also have to get him a chop saw/compound miter saw?

Not doubting you one bit, but it seems odd that a 10" saw fully cranked up doesn't even go up 4" (less because a 4x4 isn't actually 4" is it...like 3 3/4 finished or something like that?). About how high up does the blade come out of the table on a 10" saw ya think? When I had a table saw, I never had to cut anything thicker than a 2x4, so I never really paid much attention......

Guess if he wants his brother to be able to cut a 4x4 in one cut, he'd also have to get him a chop saw/compound miter saw?
3-1/8” is the tallest that a blade will go on any 10” table saw.

3-1/8” is the tallest that a blade will go on any 10” table saw.

Dang, that's kinda crazy to think about since the blade is 10". You'd think they would figure out a way to make it taller, but then they'd sell fewer 12" saws I suppose lol.

Been thinking about @batchaps4me wanting his brother to be able to cut 4x4s on a table saw (cause he builds decks mostly) and it also seems to me that using a table saw for that application wouldn't be ideal anyway. Ya gotta sink/anchor the 4x4s first anyway before you cut them, so a hand saw seems like the preferred tool (either circular or sawzall).