Coaching carousel

We fired two coaches in less than 2 years because of booster interference. Any top-notch coach should take a pass on us in the near future.
1667363694438.png

Donate a bunch of $ to HBCU's and ya got him. The sheer money he would bring to the table for NIL and the media coverage would be a win/win. However, if you choose to ever fire him, get ready for the backlash.

Is that a good thing in your opinion?
Probably a good thing. Most of the coaches that are excelling predate him and our donor program has had some turmoil lately. Besides hiring Brown, he did hire coaches for our men's soccer, wrestling (both doing decent) and women's basketball (first season) teams. He is a WVU graduate and seems to be well respected nationally, participating in many committees. But, that last item may be part of the reason behind his leaving, as some feel he did not do enough at the school and delegated quite a bit.

I think this is the first step in removing Brown, either in the off season or after next season. I can't think of many ADs that don't want to have their guy coaching the money revenue sports (exception being HOF or coaches that are excelling). Bringing in a new AD now gives them time to evaluate and determine what direction they want to take the FB program.

Probably a good thing. Most of the coaches that are excelling predate him and our donor program has had some turmoil lately. Besides hiring Brown, he did hire coaches for our men's soccer, wrestling (both doing decent) and women's basketball (first season) teams. He is a WVU graduate and seems to be well respected nationally, participating in many committees. But, that last item may be part of the reason behind his leaving, as some feel he did not do enough at the school and delegated quite a bit.

I think this is the first step in removing Brown, either in the off season or after next season. I can't think of many ADs that don't want to have their guy coaching the money revenue sports (exception being HOF or coaches that are excelling). Bringing in a new AD now gives them time to evaluate and determine what direction they want to take the FB program.
We went through several cycles of having an alumnus as an AD. It just didn’t work out. Finally we hired outside the circle and thus far we are looking much better.

Lynn Swan was loved as an athlete and alumnus but rumor was he wasn’t going to rock the boat and spent most of his time playing golf. Thus, Helton stayed longer than he should have.

3-4 weeks seems awfully short unless they already have their pick hooked.
They hired the same firm the Big 12 did to hire their commish. Two things I found interesting during the interim ADs presser. First, he used the female pronoun first when discussing who they were looking at (we just had someone leave that was doing the bulk of the work already in Keli Zinn, and she was very well liked and respected). Second, he stated they were looking to follow the Big 12 direction of business first and younger/hipper.

**Added - here is a brief write up of Keli. I really did not think of her when I first heard of Shane's departure, but that "she or he" line that Rob threw out there really makes me think it might be her returning...

Last edited:
We went through several cycles of having an alumnus as an AD. It just didn’t work out. Finally we hired outside the circle and thus far we are looking much better.

Lynn Swan was loved as an athlete and alumnus but rumor was he wasn’t going to rock the boat and spent most of his time playing golf. Thus, Helton stayed longer than he should have.

Helton is actually doing a good job at Georgia Southern. Prolly making a bowl game. Interested to see what he does in year 2 and 3.

Helton is actually doing a good job at Georgia Southern. Prolly making a bowl game. Interested to see what he does in year 2 and 3.
Good for him. I know we all yell and blame coaches for sticking around in a program that they don’t belong in but the reality is, it’s the AD who is to blame.

View attachment 16421

Donate a bunch of $ to HBCU's and ya got him. The sheer money he would bring to the table for NIL and the media coverage would be a win/win. However, if you choose to ever fire him, get ready for the backlash.
I know the boosters are gunning for Lane but if we miss on that, I hope we go to UK's Stoops and then Damian Craig with possibly giving Caddy an OC position.

I know the boosters are gunning for Lane but if we miss on that, I hope we go to UK's Stoops and then Damian Craig with possibly giving Caddy an OC position.
He may have gone as far as he can at UK. One thing is for sure, he wont go farther without some shake-up in personnel. Honestly, Id trade him for Liam Coen right now if we could keep Brad White as DC. Stoops is definitely a master at rebuild, and you could throw some of that ridiculous Auburn money at him. How bout 95 million? :LOL:

He may have gone as far as he can at UK. One thing is for sure, he wont go farther without some shake-up in personnel. Honestly, Id trade him for Liam Coen right now if we could keep Brad White as DC. Stoops is definitely a master at rebuild, and you could throw some of that ridiculous Auburn money at him. How bout 95 million? :LOL:
I think it would be poetic justice if we bankrupted Yeller Wood.