Coaching carousel

FirlYe_VUAU9l-W

Looks like the bugs are gonna make the right decision.

Seeing was believing for Georgia Tech leadership where interim head coach Brent Key was concerned.

The 44-year-old Key, who led the Yellow Jackets to a 4-4 mark after taking over for Geoff Collins, is in the final stages of working out a deal to take over the program, per multiple reports.

There had been previous reports that new Georgia Tech athletic director J Batt had an interest in hiring Tulane coach Will Fritz.

Key was the choice of the vast majority of the Georgia Tech fans and alumni, a former Yellow Jackets player himself (1997-2000) who earned All-ACC and team captain honors as an offensive lineman and put some sting back into the program as its coach this season.

Key does not have prior head coaching experience, but the recent successful hires of Oregon coach Dan Lanning, Arkansas coach Sam Pittman and South Carolina coach Shane Beamer have proven that first-time head coaches can have success if provided with the necessary resources.

Of course, Kirby Smart had not been a head coach, either, when Georgia chose him to follow Mark Richt in 2016.
While Beamer, Pittman and Lanning had the benefit of coaching under Smart at Georgia, Key’s resume features an important and well-noted stop as he served three years as the offensive line coach at Alabama.
Key was part of Crimson Tide coaching staffs that won a national championship in 2017 and an SEC title in 2018 — before returning to his alma mater as assistant head coach and run game coordinator.
Coaching under Nick Saban provided Key with valuable experience in seeing and learning how to structure and build a championship environment.
Smart pointed out Key also had the benefit of playing under one of the Yellow Jackets’ finer head coaches, George O’Leary, as well.
“When he played there, it was George O’Leary, (and) the job that he did there goes unrecognized,” Smart said. “It was during some of the time that I was playing here. He had some of the best Georgia Tech teams there were.
“They were so physical, so competitive. I think Brent playing under him shaped him into who he is and who he has become as a coach. What a tremendous job he did, and now Brent is doing.”

Last edited:
Willie Fritz and Tulane are going bowling this year while Georgia Tech will be sitting at home beating their meat. Way to go GT!

A LOT of the WVU fanbase was hoping for him. I was not one of them. He showed me that he has not changed when he started tweeting a sexual assault victim in July (https://www.insidehighered.com/quic...-coach-takes-aim-sex-assault-survivor-twitter). Some people learn from their mistakes, some people just keep getting passes and think that they can do anything. The latter is the impression I have from Freeze.
Of all the things anyone could use as a disqualifier for Coach Freeze, this is the weakest one. Was the problem with what he said or who he said it to? To be blunt, I see nothing wrong with him saying what he did and if anyone is making public remarks disparaging someone, then they should be open to criticism.

Of all the things anyone could use as a disqualifier for Coach Freeze, this is the weakest one. Was the problem with what he said or who he said it to? To be blunt, I see nothing wrong with him saying what he did and if anyone is making public remarks disparaging someone, then they should be open to criticism.
It's not the tweet that makes me not want him, it's the buildup of behavior. My problem is that with his past issues, why did he have to tweet anything. He went out of his way to comment to her how the new AD was a "Jesus like leader" while she was suing the school for mishandling sexual assault violations. Did she need to tweet about this new AD - no - but if I was Freeze, I would not have hit send on that message. I am all for giving someone a second or third chance, but at some point, you need to stop doing stupid behavior that could impact your school's image. Also, for a school like WVU, you need to be able to sell the school not only to the recruit, but the parents. I can see many HS parents taking offense to his past behavior, including that tweet/dm. If he could just STOP doing stupid shit, it might have been a good fit for WV - not that we were going to get in a bidding war with Auburn for a coach.

Some UK fans are hoping to get back Neal Brown as OC if WVU fires him.
Honestly, I still think he can succeed at WVU. If he does well next year, they will not want to pay the buyout. If he does not, then yea, he probably will end up an OC somewhere (UK would be ideal for him). I think Neal will be a good HC somewhere (just like Cignetti was at IUP). Sometimes it just doesn't work out at a specific school for some reason...