18. Arizona
19. Texas A&M
20. San Diego State
21. TCU
22. North Carolina
23. USC
24. Colorado
25. Maryland

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-...ucky-boosters-basketball-football-matt-jones/

"John Calipari lost nine players since [URL='https://www.on3.com/college/kentucky-wildcats/category/basketball/news/']Kentucky Basketball[/URL]‘s season ended in the NCAA’s second round back in March, and he has yet to add a new one in that span. As it stands now, Calipari can count on the five freshmen he signed out of high school and the two seldom-used sophomores who came back. Beyond them, every other scholarship player on the roster left Kentucky for other opportunities in basketball, leaving Calipari to scramble for pieces in the final hours.

The current situation might be easier to navigate if Calipari hadn’t lost some of Kentucky’s biggest boosters, too. Today, KSR host Matt Jones expressed his frustrations with Calipari’s booster problem during his morning monologue about the current state of Calipari’s program. Among the many issues Jones named around the Wildcats, he said, “I could do an hourlong podcast on the booster situation at UK.”

Considering that an hour-long booster podcast is unlikely anytime soon, Jones’ Thursday morning explanation will suffice for now.

He began by explaining how, since Mitch Barnhart became athletics director in Lexington, the boosters’ grip on UK Athletics loosened.

“Boosters have less impact at Kentucky than, probably, almost any other school in the SEC,” said Jones. “I actually think that’s good, by the way. I think a lot of these colleges, especially football schools, are completely run by their boosters and it makes it a circus. Mitch Barnhart long ago basically said that’s not how it’s gonna be and I think he deserves credit for that to be honest.”

However, according to Jones, Calipari lost touch with the few boosters who still funded UK Athletics, resulting in a shift of funds from basketball to football, where Mark Stoops’ program successfully filled positions of need in the transfer portal with the help of collectives and boosters.

Jones explained, “What happened is, Cal, when he got here, he cultivated relationships with about two or three major boosters, and you can guess who they are or were. And he had a great relationship with them. And he really didn’t cultivate many more but those, but it was okay because we won and when you’re winning, people want to be a part of it whether you talk to them or not. Winning cures everything.

“Mark Stoops came to town, knew the program was kind of in shambles, and said, ‘I’m gonna build up personal relationships with boosters.’ And he probably has 20 to 25 people that he is close to. And when they need something, they contact those people and that happens.”

[HEADING=1]“Now there’s nobody.”[/HEADING]
For various reasons Jones couldn’t disclose, Calipari’s personal relationships with the “two or three major boosters” are strained.

“And now there’s nobody,” he said. “So now you’re looking around going, where’s the help? And when you only had two or three, if that has gone away, where do you go?

“These same boosters have said for 10 years, Mark Stoops and Vince Marrow and these guys have been our friends, have come to our weddings, have done all this stuff. I only have so much money. I’m putting it there. So why is it Kentucky is killing the football portal and doing nothing in the basketball portal? It’s that, to be quite frank with you, the football collectives are funded and the basketball collectives don’t even exist. And if they do, Cal’s not participating."

@MarineUKFan

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-...ucky-boosters-basketball-football-matt-jones/

"John Calipari lost nine players since [URL='https://www.on3.com/college/kentucky-wildcats/category/basketball/news/']Kentucky Basketball[/URL]‘s season ended in the NCAA’s second round back in March, and he has yet to add a new one in that span. As it stands now, Calipari can count on the five freshmen he signed out of high school and the two seldom-used sophomores who came back. Beyond them, every other scholarship player on the roster left Kentucky for other opportunities in basketball, leaving Calipari to scramble for pieces in the final hours.

The current situation might be easier to navigate if Calipari hadn’t lost some of Kentucky’s biggest boosters, too. Today, KSR host Matt Jones expressed his frustrations with Calipari’s booster problem during his morning monologue about the current state of Calipari’s program. Among the many issues Jones named around the Wildcats, he said, “I could do an hourlong podcast on the booster situation at UK.”

Considering that an hour-long booster podcast is unlikely anytime soon, Jones’ Thursday morning explanation will suffice for now.

He began by explaining how, since Mitch Barnhart became athletics director in Lexington, the boosters’ grip on UK Athletics loosened.

“Boosters have less impact at Kentucky than, probably, almost any other school in the SEC,” said Jones. “I actually think that’s good, by the way. I think a lot of these colleges, especially football schools, are completely run by their boosters and it makes it a circus. Mitch Barnhart long ago basically said that’s not how it’s gonna be and I think he deserves credit for that to be honest.”

However, according to Jones, Calipari lost touch with the few boosters who still funded UK Athletics, resulting in a shift of funds from basketball to football, where Mark Stoops’ program successfully filled positions of need in the transfer portal with the help of collectives and boosters.

Jones explained, “What happened is, Cal, when he got here, he cultivated relationships with about two or three major boosters, and you can guess who they are or were. And he had a great relationship with them. And he really didn’t cultivate many more but those, but it was okay because we won and when you’re winning, people want to be a part of it whether you talk to them or not. Winning cures everything.

“Mark Stoops came to town, knew the program was kind of in shambles, and said, ‘I’m gonna build up personal relationships with boosters.’ And he probably has 20 to 25 people that he is close to. And when they need something, they contact those people and that happens.”

[HEADING=1]“Now there’s nobody.”[/HEADING]
For various reasons Jones couldn’t disclose, Calipari’s personal relationships with the “two or three major boosters” are strained.

“And now there’s nobody,” he said. “So now you’re looking around going, where’s the help? And when you only had two or three, if that has gone away, where do you go?

“These same boosters have said for 10 years, Mark Stoops and Vince Marrow and these guys have been our friends, have come to our weddings, have done all this stuff. I only have so much money. I’m putting it there. So why is it Kentucky is killing the football portal and doing nothing in the basketball portal? It’s that, to be quite frank with you, the football collectives are funded and the basketball collectives don’t even exist. And if they do, Cal’s not participating."

@MarineUKFan

It's kinda sad that, as a UK fan, I have really lost interest in basketball except for during the actual season (and really only on game days/nights). That's not normal for us folks, but that's what it's come to. I didn't think I'd feel this way when Cal got hired and in the following years, but I feel it's definitely time for a change. My dad is probably rolling over in his grave (buried in his UK windbreaker no less) about what has become of the program.

But, hey, at least we have football and I get super stoked about the goings of of the football program year round these days.

It's kinda sad that, as a UK fan, I have really lost interest in basketball except for during the actual season (and really only on game days/nights). That's not normal for us folks, but that's what it's come to. I didn't think I'd feel this way when Cal got hired and in the following years, but I feel it's definitely time for a change. My dad is probably rolling over in his grave (buried in his UK windbreaker no less) about what has become of the program.

But, hey, at least we have football and I get super stoked about the goings of of the football program year round these days.
As always, it is a question of money. Football brings in more money, so it is being developed. Basketball brings in less money, so it gets less attention.

As always, it is a question of money. Football brings in more money, so it is being developed. Basketball brings in less money, so it gets less attention.

Obviously, you're not familiar with how UK rolls. While that's the case in the majority of places, UK is different. We just recently (within the last decade or so) started spending big on football, but that certainly wasn't always the case.

Obviously, you're not familiar with how UK rolls. While that's the case in the majority of places, UK is different. We just recently (within the last decade or so) started spending big on football, but that certainly wasn't always the case.
Football or soccer?
Soccer in the UK has always been good.
Do you have football developing now? It's not bad, why not :)
Of course, I prefer the option of even development of the sport. Basketball, tennis and martial arts, etc. To encourage young people to get involved in sports rather than alcohol and computer games.

Football or soccer?
Soccer in the UK has always been good.
Do you have football developing now? It's not bad, why not :)
Of course, I prefer the option of even development of the sport. Basketball, tennis and martial arts, etc. To encourage young people to get involved in sports rather than alcohol and computer games.
UK = University of Kentucky